1. Miss Moose

Miss Moose New Member

A technical question

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Miss Moose, Aug 1, 2010.

So, I've been saving a copy of whatever I'm writing on a SanDisk flash drive so I can work on it anywhere. The only problem is that when I try to open it on another computer after I've worked on that document all it shows is this:

CHNKWKS ThonoisaInputSlot"àó
    ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ n.ra i dooai

Does anyone know why it's doing this? I've been using Microsoft Works since I don't have Microsoft Word on my laptop yet. Is it a problem with the flash drive or the program? Also, I have been saving everything before I close the document and make sure to eject the drive before physically taking it out.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Are you trying to open it in works?

What file type is it saved as?

3. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

It's simply because these are two incompatible file formats. Most machines only have Word installed. And when you open a Works file on Word, it doesn't understand it and opens it as a plain text file.
    If you want Works compatibility in Word, you need a plugin like Microsoft Works 6–9 File Converter (from Microsoft support).

4. Diablo Robotico

Diablo Robotico New Member

I only have Works, too. I believe the documents are saved as .wps by default. If you save them in .doc the file should work in Microsoft Word.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

can you save your work as rtf?... if so, then it should open ok in ms word...

6. Miss Moose

Miss Moose New Member

Hmmm. I'll have to try using a different file format. I'm pretty sure it's been opening in Microsoft Works every time, but I'm not positive. Thanks so much. Solving this problem will make my life so much easier.