1. CookieCutter

CookieCutter New Member

Writing Weird Prophecies

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by CookieCutter, Apr 10, 2019.

Anyone have any ideas for weird, norm-breaking prophecies? I'm currently starting a story where the main character is a "chosen one" archetype, and the first villain (who later becomes an ally) is the "chosen one" from the past. I'm looking for some kind of weird prophecy to hang over their precious lil heads. Problem is, I don't really have any experience writing prophecies, and I have no idea where to start. Any input or anything at all is really appreciated!

2. Laughing Rabbit

Laughing Rabbit Active Member

What do you want the prophecy to foretell? How the two become allies later? How one must complete the goal or them having to work together to complete the goal? Is one going to die or become a great leader such as king or emperor?

3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

This is as broad as it is long. "An honest politician will arise when a two-headed gnu saves the nation from an infestation of killer wombats" would be a weird prophecy. I could list a thousand (if I felt it a worthwhile use of my time...)

Maybe come up with something straightforward and get writing. As your characters and thoughts develop, so will your idea of what the prophecy should be; you can tailor the prophecy as events unfurl in an unexpected way.

Don't get hung up and blocked by it.