Tags:
  1. R M

R M Member

What are "pet sayings"?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by R M, May 9, 2020.

Hey guys I'm thinking about writing a mystery novel and i was looking on the internet as to how to plan one out and I came across an aspect the the website asking "Do all your characters have the same pet sayings?". What are pet sayings? are they like sayings that are distinctive to the character? If anyone could clarify this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks and have a good one!:)

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

yeah they saying that are the characters signature like Hannibal from the A team saying "I love it when a plan comes together"

peachalulu likes this.
  3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

"Ah, but you are wrong m'sieur!"

"It's elemenatry, my dear Watson."

Both of these, of course, we never actually said by the characters they are associated with.

peachalulu likes this.
  4. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

You've got it right that they're expressions that are distinctive to the individual character. If you want to come up with some, think about that character's education, social status, life experience, etc. What's appropriate for a battle-hardened soldier might not work for a bank clerk. Unless, of course, the bank clerk sees his life as a war.

Be careful about overdoing pet sayings. It should be just enough to give the music of the character's voice, or to establish the kind of person she is. But do let us hear the character using it, himself! I read a book once where the narrator remarked that a certain secondary character was "always" using the expression "That's ridiculous!" But he was given only one piece of dialogue with that phrase. The narrator's statement seemed intrusive and false, especially at that point in the story.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  5. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

How are we defining pet sayings versus a catch phrase?

One of my late mother’s favorite saying, when we kids would say we wanted something, was ‘wish in one hand, shit in the other and see which fills first.’ If she wasn’t interested enough to string the words together, she’d just say ‘It’s good to want, isn’t it?. It was her way of saying no.

Elementary, dear Watson, I’ll be back, I love it when a plan comes together, Book ‘im, Dano, are all what I would think to be catch phrases.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  6. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

"Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts."

"Inconceivable!"

Really?

7. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Yep. Sherlock Holmes did say "Elementary" and "My dear Watson" a lot, but never together. And I'm pretty sure Poirot didn't say "Ah, but you are wrong m'sieur" in the books.

8. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Sort of like how "play it again, Sam" was never actually spoken in Casablanca.