1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Martin Luther King Jr.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Jan 18, 2010.

Today is Martin Luther King Jr Day in the U.S.

The having of this holiday has presented more than a little controversy in our country, but I think that when we view this great man’s efforts to effect change in a peaceful manner, how can we not stop and give a moment of our time to the idea that change through peace is a worthy endeavor.

To him and all the great leaders who have used their heart instead of brute strength to improve the world, I salute you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

And all of them also believed strongly in the good that man is capable of. They did not dwell upon the selfish and hateful acts that some humans commit.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I agree with that for two of them, but I simply cannot agree with Mother Teresa.
    Watch Christopher Hitchen's video (it can be found on youtube) Hell's Angel, it might change your mind about her.
    The other two, however, were great human beings.

4. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

I watched the video Lemex. It seems she was your average human being. I think Hitchens is really stretching it in some of his points, but others are well argued.

Martin Luther King seemed like a good fellow. He gave good speeches and had a good philosophy. I am reluctant to give one man too much praise, however. There are many good people. Those who act on good words are just as noble as he who spoke them.

5. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I wonder if Martin Luther King would be pleased that on the day selected to honor his ideals, children are not in school. I suspect, with his reverence for education, he would not be pleased at this outcome. It serves as a testament to the lack of wisdom in our government leaders. Children should be in school, and the day should be dedicated to promoting the ideals of civil rights. Instead, America's kids get another day for cable TV cartoons and videogames. <sigh>

6. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Not all kids are out of school on MLK Day. My school is out, but most private schools and universities have classes today. I think it's just K-12 schools that are under the State Superintendent, actually, and the idea was probably intended for reflection on how far we've come, but I think most kids just view it as a "FastBreak" weekend... :rolleyes:

I didnt watch the YouTube video on principle... MLK, Mother Teresa, and Gandhi were all ordinary people with extraordinary determination and perhaps a little too much media hype, but that doesnt take away from all the good they brought and for the hope they represent as symbols to us now.

There is still a lot of de-facto segregation that goes on worldwide, and we as a species have a long way to go, but I couldnt imagine how far we'd be if it wasnt for people like Dr. Martin Luther King Junior. :) Thank you.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I do see your point, but I don't agree. Making it a holiday encourages reflection about what he stood for.

Not all education takes place within the walls of a classroom. Making Dr. King's birthday a holiday makes sure he is remembered by all. I personally find it sad that his birthday is not observed by many businesses and even schools, whereas a day commemorating labor unions (Labor Day) is observed by all. Where is our priority?

1 person likes this.
  8. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

Here, here.