1. AngelFox1119

AngelFox1119 New Member

Xilbris Publishing

Discussion in 'Publisher Discussion' started by AngelFox1119, Aug 3, 2022.

Hello,

I am new here and trying to get some advice. Is Xilbris Publishing a legit publisher that anybody has heard of? I have researched it but and I have come across both testimonies -- that it is a legit and a scam. Can anyone answer my question?

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I think that must be Xlibris, a modification of Ex Libris (meaning "From the Library").

3. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Don't know anything about it. Can you look up the authors behind the testimonies to see if they're real? Maybe send them a message asking if they left a testimony for that publisher. And look up how well that author is doing? Just my thoughts.

4. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Well, they're not a traditional publisher, since in trad publishing the money only flows from the publisher to the author, never the other way around.

It looks like they offer services to assist you in self-publishing your own book, all of which you can do on your own though most will cost money upfront as well (cover art, editing, formatting, etc.) Looking at their prices made my eyeballs nearly fall out of my head though, with $1K at the most basic package and MOTHER OF GOD $17K at the top end. The chances of making a profit using this service would be very poor in my opinion.

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Hell no. They're a vanity publisher. You pay them to publish your book. Avoid like the plague.

(And I thought they went out of business years ago)

6. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Gotta watch out for them vanity publishers. Oh, they'll be happy to print your book. Good luck getting them to do anything else after the check clears.

I've done lots of research on the subject of late and came across another ingenious way to screw over aspiring writers - author mills !
    That's where they "publish" your book for you on Amazon (or wherever), take a big chunk of royalties, and receive proceeds when you get all your friends and family to go buy it. They make this worth their time just by the scale of it. They "publish" thousands of authors, sit back, and let the money trickle in.

Rad Scribbler and Madman like this.