1. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

Xmas readings

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by ruskaya, Dec 23, 2021.

[​IMG]
    [found this and thought it was funny :D]

what titles do you read during Christmas season or holidays? Do you re-read favorite stories or look to read certain authors or a specific sub-genre? Do you read classic tales or tales that warm your hearts? I recently found out that there are even Christmas mysteries!

This year, for two weeks starting Christmas Eve, I want to try to read in-season stories for the first time ever! Ho-ho-ho. So I am also curious about what people consider a Christmas reading!

Not that it really is that exciting, but this reading-on-a-theme makes me excited for some strange reason.:supercute:

I am starting with A Christmas Carol, obviously... :D

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    dbesim and Xoic like this.
  2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I reread A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett and A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas, without fail. Oddly enough, A Christmas Carol isn't on my regular holiday reading list, though it probably should be. I also read The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder, In This House of Brede and Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy, both by Rumer Godden at some point during the winter.

3. ruskaya

I never read A Child's Christmas in Wales, I am intrigued. I have already read A Christmas Carol before, but now I wanted to read it because of the holiday seasons and because I wanted to read it as a writer. It is a short simple story and yet so incredibly enduring. I try to imagine the impact of ghosts visiting more impressionable Victorians. I too reread A Little Princess, with great delight.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  4. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

probably Luke chapter 2, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, "The Gift of the Magi"...that's really all I can think of.

5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

If you go to YouTube, you can find a recording of Dylan Thomas reading "A Child's Christmas in Wales." It's wonderful.

ruskaya likes this.
  6. ruskaya

thanks for the suggestion @Catriona Grace , I listened to it and enjoyed it!

I am about to start Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie, the title sounds fun and and any book by Christie is rarely a miss when it comes to entertainment. I had received this book as a gift years ago from a friend, and left it collecting dust in a dark corner of my shamelessly crowded bookcase. I completely forgot I had it. By chance I rescued it yesterday. I have great hopes with this find.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  7. ruskaya

In Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie, There is a foreword in which Christie explains how the first story is based on her memories of her family's Christmas celebrations in the English countryside. Just to read how excited she got, excitement that inspired the stories especially the first one, got me excited too! I found myself smiling with a warming sensation in my heart :blowkiss:

I wasn't able to read as much as I wanted, in part because I spent time looking around for what to read. So, since I realized that I am such a Christmas festivities sucker, I decided to start now making a list for next Christmas to make sure I can fill myself with more cheerfulness :cheerleader: