Tags:
  1. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

YA Fantasy about shamanism

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by cosmic lights, Jun 3, 2019.

Obviously I'll be reading some non-fiction books on this topic but since my book is Young Adult I'd like to see this topic is handled by others in this area. I've found novels about this topic that aren't Fantasy, but was looking for a young adult novel in the Fantasy Genre all about Shamanism.

My book focuses on the Forbidden art of shamanism and instead of taking place in the physical world is takes place in the spirit world and dream world (the dream world acts as a good between with the physical and spirit world). I've built a society in the spirit world (just like we have).

Does anyone know any books like this one because I'm struggling with this idea and reading might help?

Thank you

2. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Since no one else chimed in, I can give you some B material. They aren't YA, but they are games, which kinda hit the same market (and I think they have been influential in fiction besides).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

You could read the Chalion-series of L.M. Bujold, especially 'The Hallowed Hunt". She made up a shamanistic culture which is a bit different than what the real world is used to, but it's coherent. It's not classified as YA, though I could see YA reading and enjoying them all the same.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. cosmic lights

I'm surprised YA hasn't covered this topic (as far as my research shows). Thanks to both of you for your help x

John Calligan likes this.
  5. Privateer

Privateer Senior Member

Shamanism isn't something most English-speaking audiences (or writers) are particularly familiar with, I suppose. It's a shame, really, as it's a fascinating topic and there's so much scope to work.

6. cosmic lights

I better start learning then!
    I'd never heard of it. Thank youtube. I started watching videos on funny animals and ended on African Rituals and demonic possession (as ya do).

John Calligan likes this.
  7. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Depends how serious you want to go. Eliade “Shamanism”? That is a very dry scholarly work though. Perhaps you’d be better, and find more interest, in reading Clifford Geertz’ work “The Interpretation of Cultures”; I’m sure you’ll find it fascinating!

Eliade is probably a little too heavy, but if you wish to go further then The Sacred and The Profane is MUCH shorter than Shamanism and MUCH more readable (but maybe a little too broad in scope - you could just look his definition of “hierophant” and extrapolate from there). I could suggest a few other things but they’re probably not much more suitable than Shamanism so just go for Geertz’ book - it has a number of nice ‘anecdotes’ about his experiences in Bali and the ceremony of Rangda and Barong will intrigue you hopefully.

GL

Oscar Leigh and cosmic lights like this.
  8. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

It's a bit borderline, not all about shamanism, but in Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books there is a group of people (the Shin'a'in) that have shamans and such as part of their religion. The Vows and Honor trilogy set within this world deals specifically with the Shin'a'in. Oathbound is the first one, then Oathbreakers, then Oathblood. By the Sword is a standalone novel that involves the characters from the Oath books if you want more. I'd recommend it- it's a pretty good series and an interesting take on shamanism within a religion.

9. cosmic lights

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It seems like a topic that isn't documented much, I've had such a hard time finding more details about rituals and beliefs. x

10. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

On amazon you can “Look Inside” and find some useful words: https://www.amazon.com/Shamanism-Techniques-Princeton-Bollingen-Mythology/dp/0691119422

Eliade’s work is probably the most famous on the topic of ‘Shamanism’. The best thing about writing fiction is exploring fact (imo!). I’ve found myself interested in all manner of topics that wouldn’t have directly drawn my attention before due to my urge to write novels.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. cosmic lights

On amazon you can “Look Inside” and find some useful words: https://www.amazon.com/Shamanism-Techniques-Princeton-Bollingen-Mythology/dp/0691119422

Eliade’s work is probably the most famous on the topic of ‘Shamanism’. The best thing about writing fiction is exploring fact (imo!). I’ve found myself interested in all manner of topics that wouldn’t have directly drawn my attention before due to my urge to write novels.

So true, I've found the same thing. Didn't even know Shamanism was a thing until just recently.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

There's this amazing ya fantasy duology involving shamanism called Even the Darkest Stars by Heather Fawcett! You should totally check it out!

Oscar Leigh and cosmic lights like this.