1. Adam Bolander

Adam Bolander Senior Member

What do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Adam Bolander, May 30, 2010.

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on a new story idea I've had. Don't worry, I'm not quiting The Sword (if you care, or even know about it for that matter)- far from it! This is just something to work on in my spare time. Here is the basic plot:

A boy, on his sixteenth birthday, his coming of age, decides to move out and continue his life in the woods, living off the land. Hardly a day passes, though, before the boy is caught by a pack of werewolves, and taken captive for trespassing on their territory. Before they can execute him, though, the boy manages to kill a werewolf from another pack, and, in doing so, save the alpha's five year old daughter. After that, the alpha agrees to spare the boy's life and let him join the pack. Though reluctant at first, the boy soon comes to accept the werewolves for what they are, and they begin to accept him. He even makes the decision that he, too, would like to be a werewolf. The pack has it's doubts, though, about whether he is worthy or not, so they make him a deal. They will train him in their ways, and, if deemed worthy, he will be given a vial of werewolf blood to drink at the next three full moons. Unlike being bitten, it takes three mouthfuls of werewolf blood to fully transform you. With ever mouthful you drink, you are able to transform 1/3 further. After drinking, he will be stuck in that form for a month, until the next full moon, after which he be able to turn human again and drink another vial.

Sorry, I got carried away there. It's just that I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!1! Please tell me what you do/don't like about it, and how it could possibly be made better.

2. Diablo Robotico

Diablo Robotico New Member

It seems like a very interesting idea, but of course it all depends on how it's written.

One thing I would consider is why is the boy going out into the wilderness when he's sixteen? I think there should be some reasoning and motive behind such a drastic change in lifestyle. Likewise, there probably will need to be more conflict. Maybe there will be some tension between him and some members of the werewolf group, or perhaps the conflict between both werewolf groups comes to a head. Of course, the decision to become a werewolf is a big one and he needs some big reasons for that decision as well.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano New Member

Its all about how you write it. The opinions you get out here are pretty much worthless, in the sense that that is all they are. Everyone's gonna like different things, so whether or not a stranger likes it or not shouldn't be the basis on whether or not you write it or not.

Bad writing can ruin the greatest ideas. Like when you see a movie with bad acting or effects, and you think "Gee, what a great concept, if only they could have carried it out better, or done this or that." So start writing it out, and see if you like it. Some ideas are good as ideas, but when you begin to write them out you notice flaws and such.

inb4 Cog's obligatory "what is your opinion on xxxxxxx" response

4. Adam Bolander

Adam Bolander Senior Member

new decision

My friend just gave me a great idea on how to set this apart fvrom other werewolf stories. I could put it in the colonial times, when America had just become a nation, and the redcoats are attacking! That could be a cool setting, and give it a source of conflict!

5. Manav

Manav New Member

I agree that 'ideas are worthless' thing...... but since I am here I'll give you my two cents

I agree with most of what Diablo said. A love interest will be a strong motivation for wanting to be a werewolf. Also, it will be very interesting if he becomes 1/3 or 2/3 werewolf and then finds out he no longer wants to be a werewolf!(for some compelling reasons)

6. Cyrano

Cyrano New Member

Sounds like you're looking for a gimmick. Don't worry about originality. There's no such thing as an original idea these days. As I've said before, its all about how you write it. Of course your story shouldn't be exactly the same as one before it, but the differences should be subtle enough so that they inconspicuously set your story apart from the rest. Different without an obvious gimmick.

Plus, picking a real world setting, and even more so with a specific historical event, is gonna require a lot more research than if it all came from your imagination.

Thats my 2 cents, I guess.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

8. Cyrano

Cyrano New Member

Called it. Do I win?

9. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Like Cognito amoung others have said, the idea is worthless, it depends how its written.... having said that, your idea sounds very similar to the film avatar to me.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Which, in turn, resembles Dances with Wolves. So hey! We're back to wolves.

11. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Why is he choosing to live in the woods? Last time I checked, teens like cars, or if you go with the colonial setting idea, horses, for their 16th birthdays.

12. Desperado

Desperado New Member

Maybe he should be native and be going through the ritual of becoming a man? Unless that is what you are saying. He just kind of needs a reason to go in the woods you know. Maybe he could get wasted ant lost haha I don't know.

13. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

I, personally, love this idea :love:. There isn't enough stories out there about solely werewolves (which, in my honest opinion, will always surpass vampires in terms of awesome), so this idea looks special to me.

I agree, though, that there should be more conflict. A werewolf in the pack around the boy's age who remains apprehensive of him even though the rest of the pack has warmed up to him. Love interests help too, although between a human and a werewolf that raises some issues you'd have to deal with (to curb the possibility of someone calling beastiality. I had to deal with it too in my own story).

I also don't think you need to alter the era it takes place in as I personally have never heard of a werewolf story where a human drank the blood as opposed to being bitten.

And also as previously mentioned, you should figure out some reason for him to leave home. Maybe he's running away because his home life sucks?