1. Darksider

Darksider New Member

Help with plot ideas?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Darksider, Apr 20, 2010.

Ok hello, so I’m interested in writing a story but I struggle with creating plots, I understand that anything could be good if it's written well I’m just looking for some advice, here are a few plots I’ve come up with....

1. The first one is an idea I had in my first year of school, its set slightly in the future where it follows a new recruit who joins a paranormal investigation corporation. The book would be about him and the other agent’s attempting to stop the apocalypse.

2. The second idea is about super-humans that are called 'Phantoms' these warriors are considerably powerful and act as a secret police force, however one of them discovers that the phantoms are in fact planning to take control of all the world governments and form one ruling power over the entire human race, and so the hero of the story joins a resistance made up of other rouge Phantoms.

3. A young man enters a world of magic and wonder, where he is forced to become a warrior and fight back against the forces of evil that threaten to destroy the world.

4. The final idea is about a boy called Tyler who becomes a 'Shadow Marked' this means that he gains a special marking on his body that gives him a special power, however the marking means that he was chosen to act as one of the guardians of the world and fight against the forces of evil. The story revolves around a prophecy that was written 1,000 years ago.

Which on these do you like the most or none?
    Peace and love.

2. Tamsin

Tamsin New Member

Hate to say it but:

1. Spy Kids
    2. X-Men
    3. Harry Potter
    4. Harry Potter/Simoqin Prophecies.

The good thing is that these kind of stories are massively popular! Write in your own style, set it somewhere new and you will probably have a best seller!

:)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You say you understand this, but the fact that you ask anyway tells me otherwise.

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

4. EileenG

EileenG New Member

Which one would you most like to read? Write that one.

5. black-radish

black-radish New Member

I disagree...somewhat.

It's true, you can't judge a story when it's not written down yet, the way it's written, the atmosphere of the book, the characters, all these things make a book a good book.

But when you think up the worst storyline ever, it can never be a good story, no matter how good your writing skills are.

Darksider, it depends on your audience. I personally think a story about fantasy which involves magic is really cool, epic adventures! Great!

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I stand by my statement. Any storyline can be written well, if the writer is good enough. Of course, the writer may have to approach it sideways, possibly turning it into a humorous piece, but no storyline is inherently worthless. Some just may be harder to whip into shape.

Having said that, there are storylines I personally wouldn't touch with a 1 parsec active probe. It simply would not be worth my effort, when there are so many other ideas that work better for me. :)

Not long ago, someone stated there is no way anyone could ever write a good story about a man walking down the street, twiddling his thumbs. So, of course, I took a shot at it, because it was a challenge. The result was Idle Hands. It isn't a great story, but it at least demonstrates my point.

7. s.knight

s.knight Banned

Never say never :)

8. Bathanie

Bathanie New Member

I would read 1 or 3, not that the other two are bad, they're all really creative. :) 1 and 3 are pretty much the best though. :p

9. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

I disagree.

Examples:

From the comic book world:

A superhero who is a surfer. He rides on a surfboard that can fly through space, and shoots laser beams. He searches for planets for a giant, planet-eating guy.

Arguably the stupidest idea--and one of the best comic books--ever written.

On to novels...

A science fiction story about walking plants that take over the world.
    "Day of the Triffids" was a true classic.

We can even use an example that, with retrospect, we know will become a true phenomena. Written in concept-form, it's not so great...

I have an idea for a novel about a kid who is a wizard. He goes to a school for wizards where they eat jelly beans of gross flavors. He has a little scar on his forehead from where a bad wizard tried to kill him. Nobody wants to say the bad wizard's name because they're scared to.

Does that sound exciting, really?

In summary "idea" form, "Gone with the Wind" sounds like a typical, boring love story, yet is considered a great classic.

It's all in the execution.

Back to the comic book world... I remember working at a comic book store and my boss telling me that the most ridiculous named comic he's ever heard of is on the order sheet. Nobody will ever buy it, it's just so stupid!

The title? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

How's that for a really dumb idea?

Then, of course, in television, Jerry Seinfeld wrote a show about nothing...

1 person likes this.
  10. black-radish

black-radish New Member

Well we all have our own opinions...

I think when it comes to storywriting you have 3 main ingrediënts:
    The main character, the goal he wants to reach, something that holds the main character back from his goal.

If any of these miss, there can never be a good story.. so when people post a storyline that's about someone going to the bakery and buying a bread, you can still comment that there is no excitement because he's missing the antagonist.

So I do think you can give a comment on a story when you just read the storyline.

Either way, it's true you can never say if it would be a good or bad story, because that depends on the writer.

11. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Well, I agree that a plot summary tells you nothing, but I'll be illogical and comment anyway. :)

I dislike powerful characters. A situation with big powerful characters facing off against other big powerful characters while the rest of the world watches and cringes is, IMO, really boring. By making most of the world irrelevant, it makes the whole world simplistic and dull.

For that reason, (1) is the only one that I don't dislike, because your characters don't have to be inherently powerful.

ChickenFreak