1. harlequin-writes

harlequin-writes Member

You know what?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by harlequin-writes, Jun 9, 2022.

When I first started writing, I joined a forum such as this. That was nearly 20 years ago, and it has long since closed. But you know what? My current editor is from that forum. My cover artist is from that forum. Half of my friends are from that forum.

It made me think...why haven't I been part of a writing forum for all these years?

Hello. I'm Dan. I work as a psych and researcher by day down here in the lovely south west of Western Australia. I hope to forge new friendships and bring some value to the site with my experience of writing, editing, and critiquing in the horror and thriller genres. Years of being a submission editor means I've read literally hundreds of short stories and provided feedback on each and every one. Hope to be as useful here in the coming weeks.

2. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi Dan

I’m glad to hear you got a lot out of another forum such as this one. Not the part where the forum has long since closed.
    I suppose that means that you’re not too unfamiliar how these forums work. Each forum has its own set of rules of course, and I guess it depends on how you intend to be a contributive member. Some people spend their days reading, browsing and voting for stories in the contest section. Some people spend their time critiquing stories in the workshop and posting work of their own. Some people post a story to the contest, hoping to win a little virtual medal

<——- (looks like)

.. and raise their profile.

Others while away their hours participating in discussions around various threads and not really doing much writing - because you don’t really have to.
    Others begin a journal or write a blog.

So just do what you like!
    so long as you’re not violating any rule. Else the mods will be on you like a typhoon. ;)

petra4 likes this.
  3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Because they’re fuel for procrastination.

Hi, Dan.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. harlequin-writes

harlequin-writes Member

Which is why I got rid of all my socials last month. Maybe I'm just switching addictions?

5. harlequin-writes

harlequin-writes Member

Thanks, dbesim!

6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I suppose it depends on your will power and what you want out of it. It didn’t really do my writing any favours, but that’s not a criticism of the people here. I asked far too many stupid questions and obsessed over too many silly things in my writing. I’m now only here for The Lounge chitchat.

7. harlequin-writes

harlequin-writes Member

My writing journey has been a long and...tumultuous one. I feel (and hope) I've settled down a bit now and have things in perspective. Yeah, my outlook is a lot more laid back. But hey, if we have lots of writers just starting out and chomping at the bit, and if I can help those journeys in anyway, that's my motivation. :)