Tags:
  1. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

Pay for an editor or skip it?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by GlitterRain7, Nov 30, 2018.

I'm at the point with my novel that I can't improve it any more. If something in it needs improved, I can't see it. So, going for the traditional publishing route, should I pay the couple thousand for an editor or just start submitting to agents? I really don't want to spend the money if I have a chance at an agent taking it as it stands, but then again, if something is wrong with it, I want to get it fixed so I don't get a bunch of rejection letters. (Not that I'm afraid of rejection letters, I just don't want to waste time receiving a bunch of them and then decide to go back and figure out if something's wrong)
    Also, as a side question, if you submit to an agent and they reject your work, can you improve the query letter or whatever they thought was wrong with the manuscript and send it again, or is that frowned upon?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

My understanding has always been that if you're going for traditional publishing, the default is to make it as good as YOU can make it, and part of the process of trying to get it published is improving how good you can make it.

Partly because the average book doesn't earn a lot of money--a really good editing job may cost more than you'll earn. And partly because the publisher will do their own editing job if they accept it, and so you may have dueling edits.

I say "the default". That doesn't mean you can't decide that you'll take a loss on the book, or that an editor will be an educational experience and expense, etc. However, "a couple thousand" doesn't really sound like enough for a really good job.

Matt E and GlitterRain7 like this.
  3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Have you had any beta readers? I would never hire an editor unless I was going to self-pub, but IMO betas are priceless in pointing out places where things don't (and do!) work prior to submitting.

Tristan's Opa and TWErvin2 like this.
  4. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

Yeah. They only had one problem with it, which was the beginning. Some of them wanted to read it again, and they said the beginning was way better this time.

5. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Then I'd say it's good to go. Providing editing services is one of the ways publishers earn their cut of the profits.

GlitterRain7 and TWErvin2 like this.
  6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

You can also hedge your bets a bit by sending to SOME agents in your first few rounds - make sure each round has a dream agent and the rest are reputable agents you'd be happy to work with - and then re-evaluating. If you don't get positive responses after twenty or thirty submissions, you can look at what you're sending and figure out how to make it more effective.

7. Carriage Return

Carriage Return Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  8. Carriage Return

Carriage Return Member

9. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

If you haven't done it already, post the first chapter on a board such as THIS, with the question 'DID YOU GET THROUGH IT WITHOUT FORCING YOURSELF?"

10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

A couple of a thousand is a lot for an editor btw - I pay my editor about £350 (that's about $475) - that's a structural edit - obviously line edits would be more but still not 2k

(I'm self published by choice)

11. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I hired an editor before. She was great. I can't remember what I paid exactly, but I believe it was a few hundred, not a few thousand. I got recommendations. The editor I used had a long history in publishing and contacts she put me in touch with which was just an added bonus. And it sort of worked. After her help I had more than one agent want to work with me and met in person with an editor at one of the big places. It sounds all good, but I hate telling this story because in the end the book was never published. Things happened that were out of my control and not only took writing off the table for awhile but the prospect of publishing this book went with it. I don't regret hiring the editor. I learned a lot working with her and I apply some of what I learned to my other work moving forward. I'm still in contact with this editor on Facebook, and I would consider hiring her again. She really knows her stuff and was recommended by RL writing friends. Who you choose to work with is important. A lot of people say you don't need to hire an editor. And I think sometimes you don't. But I also know how competitive this industry is. I want to give myself the best shot I can. I don't know if that means hiring an editor, but it might. I would go back to the same woman I did before, assuming she would have me because even editors you hire can be picky about what books and authors they work with. And I think it's a good sign if editors-for-hire don't just take any book or project.

After you're rejected you can't submit the same work again to agents or publishers. You get one shot. If you can afford it, I don't see why you wouldn't hire an editor. Again, I'm not saying you or anyone else has to hire an editor. But when you start submitting, it's about putting your best foot forward. Some people can do it on their own. I don't mind a little help. Also, I've paid more for writing classes than I did for this editor. I know there are some that cost thousands, but some good ones are charging much less. My best foot forward... I think sometimes I need a little help tying those shoelaces.

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  12. Cayce Berryman

Cayce Berryman New Member

I would suggest beta readers, and I'm an editor (if that helps). Above all, beta readers. If you hire an editor for anything, hire them for copyediting. I don't condemn hiring an editor for developmental analysis, but if you're comfortable with your book, I can agree with others and say you don't need to spend that money. Now, when you do look for beta readers, you want to be picky about who you choose. You need people who aren't afraid to tell you the truth, and you need to look for people who are avid readers. People who have read quality material. Ask them to mark where they get bored and ask them to explain. Where do they stop reading and why? Ask them to write down their questions as those questions arise so you can see if those questions come up when you want them to. Are they answered when they should be? Does your first page intrigue them? Ask tons of questions, give your readers deadlines, and if you can, meet with them.

13. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

That would be the least of your worries as an author. Story development on the other hand is a deal breaker. You need to have a great story. If somebody out there likes it, they will make an effort to fix it.

14. Carriage Return

Carriage Return Member

15. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

This is purely my opinion but I noticed from your profile that you 18 (?). If so you're still very young, and right now I would pay more attention to expanding and honing your skills as a writer and spend your free time learning how to edit and learning the publishing industry. Although, there is no age require/limitation for publishing it is a craft and a business that can take you a while to figure out. So before paying money to anyone, take the time to work on your skills yourself. There really is no rush. The amount of times I've beta read for a young person who thinks their writing is ready to be published in a year or two and they are so way off. The story and characters might be good, but the entire sentence structure is flawed and the book usually falls apart somewhere in the middle and they don't see it (where beta readers are so handy). It'll save you money and time in the long run if you develop a critical eye yourself and can pin point problems in your own work. Fix those then send it out to betas until they are literally just nit picking because there's little else to comment on.

I advise you to use your time wisely and not just go straight for the finish line (publishing). I would spend this time learning your skills, practising writing, and learning the business. Then start looking seriously at beta readers and paying editors because if the work is 80% done because you know what you're doing it'll take less time. Sometimes the slow way is the fast way. I wouldn't pay an edit to revise something I don't intend to Publish, so your obviously looking to publish this work, just don't run before you can walk or put your eggs all in one basket. I'd advise you to keep writing new material and make it a varied as possible, give yourself a few more years in study. Then pick your best work and the one your most passion about and go for it.

Anyway that's all and best of luck whatever you do.

Nariac likes this.
  16. Cayce Berryman

Cayce Berryman New Member

Yeah, but that's why I brought up beta readers. It's also why I mentioned her comfort in her story, because she mentioned that as well. It's not the least of your problems because acquisitions editors and agents will have a hard time reading a story in the first place if it has poor grammar. If you're comfortable with your story and if you've had beta readers help you find all the plot holes and lulls and such, copyediting should be your final task. It's not minor in the least.

17. BayView

I agree that copyediting is the final task, but at least for some writers (like me) it's not a big job because we don't write a lot of errors in the first place and those that do slip through the first draft were probably caught when doing other edits. I'm routinely thanked by editors for handing in clean copy, and I don't make any special efforts to copyedit my work before submitting it to editors.

So, if someone doesn't have a reasonably firm grasp on grammar/spelling/word usage, then, yeah, they should spend a lot of time on copyediting or maybe consider hiring someone to help them before submitting their MS. But for others? Nah.

I've learned a lot from editors I've worked with, but it's mostly been at the substantive-edit level. Refining my story structure, characterization, etc. I honestly don't pay a lot of attention to the changes my copy editors make--half the time they're just changing things to conform to house style, and the rest of the time they're catching the few little errors that slip through.

If someone has an actual disability that prevents them from using grammar or spelling effectively, then, sure, they need to really work on copyediting before submitting, and it'll probably be a big job. Otherwise? It's definitely substantive edits that take up most of my time and energy, and I think that's consistent with most of the authors I know.

jannert likes this.
  18. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    From what I have learned from those who know more than I do
    when it comes to hiring an editor or not (If you happen to be already
    be snatched up by a publisher, then it is kinda moot). But it is a
    calculated risk that you have to consider, since it might be a
    huge expense that may or may not pay for itself with book sales.
    Though it would be good to break even or even make a bit back
    in profits. :)

For me as a self pubbed author (and on the less than profitable end),
    will hold off on getting an editor until I manage to write something that
    will actually have a decent return value. (Gonna be a good while on that). :p

19. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

I was about to bypass this. Then cosmic lights told your age. (?)

I tried to check it, but could not. So... Things I say might be valid if you are young. If you are 118, skip this.

If you are young, you must think a bit more.

Do you want to focus more to your writing career or your work in progress? Something might help you get published soon but not help your long time career. Something else might support your long time career but hurt your possible hope to get published soon.

Think. What time scale is the most important to you? What does it mean that this time scale is so important? Why?

I don't think that your age implies anything about your writing skills. I am not suggesting anything to that direction.

Pay or not for an editor?

I give my vote to no.

Dont put that money to editing this project. Put it in developing your skills, experiences, tools, networks...

If this project can stand in it's own feet now, it can do it without editor.

If it can stand in it's own feet, but not yet, then it's better that you learn more and polish it later.

If it can't stand in it's own feet, you should not put more money to it.

20. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Yes! Don't worry, the publisher will edit the heck out of it. So make it good enough that editing is all it needs.

21. Tristan's Opa

Tristan's Opa Senior Member

I noticed a few posts here talking about beta readers. Sounds great. Maybe you could give pointers on finding them. I've been looking for an Alpha reader or two, even on this site, and have not had any luck. So what's the secret?

It's sci-fi about 17kw in the first section. New author who has worked to refine his grammar now looking to refine his storytelling.

22. EBohio

EBohio Banned

I'm not endorsing, I have just heard of this site: https://onlinebookclub.org/. But it may be only after the book is published that you can get a free review.

I'm a screenwriter and we have sources where you can pay to have someone cover your screenplay, and then you can submit their cover with the pitch to the producer. Yeah, you pay, but it can be a whole lot less than $1,000 that the OP mentioned. Also, we enter contests and if you place 1st or 2nd they give you coverage that you can use when you are submitting.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  23. BayView

I think this is a false dichotomy. I don't think writers need to chose between refining their current projects and developing their skills, because refining their current projects will help develop their skills.

There may be authors out there who can learn all they need to know by studying theory and abstract education, but for me and I think for most, it's far more valuable to actually do the things rather than reading about them.

I've learned a hell of a lot from editors I've worked with, and I think working with a good editor is a much more "hands on", practical way to learn than just trying to learn things in the abstract.

That said... it's hard to find a good editor and it costs a lot of money to pay a good editor, so I certainly wouldn't want to give the impression that working with an editor is mandatory if you want to learn to write. Most of the editors I've worked with were recruited, screened and paid by the publishers I've worked with.

But if someone has lots of money and a line on a good editor, I think it would absolutely contribute to their development as a writer to work with that editor.

24. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Post in the Collaboration subforum: https://www.writingforums.org/collaboration/ I've responded to several beta requests from there, and had my own responded to. You don't see many replies but that's because people tend to PM. :)

Twitter is a good place to find betas, if you have an account.

Just to warn you, most people will expect a reciprocal beta read, and it does depend on finding people who enjoy your genre. I learned through experience that having beta readers who don't know your genre isn't terribly helpful. Not useless, but not the best.

Tristan's Opa likes this.
  25. Tristan's Opa

Tristan's Opa Senior Member

I've already completed two exchange of reads to get to the point I'm at now. So I understand that part. Just not getting any real response here. Interest, then no response to my PM

Tenderiser likes this.