1. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Your Favourite Poison....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Necronox, Apr 30, 2018.

so, was perusing the lounge section again when I got thinking what do you prefer to poison yourselves with - alcohol or otherwise?

Personally I quite absinth , gin, rum or mastika. But I am a sucker for a very nice beer. Typically I prefer pilsners and pale ales.

What about you?

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    And here I thought we were going to debate carbon monoxide vs cyanide...

Beer, whatever's on tap will do, for the harder stuff, 8 year old Wild Turkey on a large rock, Japanese style.

[​IMG]

3. alanzie

alanzie Member

Beer's fine. Something with a little body and color. Also like an IPA, the more bitter, the better. Took a little jaunt to Louisville, KY about a month ago and, although I have always liked bourbon, I have a newly found appreciation for that spirit!

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I can't drink anymore, so my favourite poison is ash scraped from a poison frog, mixed with spores of psycedellic fungi, administered with hot pellets or dart. The contract dies believing he's on fire.
    I have choked on my tongue, stopped my heart, and had psychotic episodes, as I developed immunity, becoming clinically insane. Great for my line of work. (WalMart greeter)

Seriously, I drink tea.

5. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Just picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig on a whim, and...

...mmm, this is nice.

6. Necronox

Elijah Craig?

7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Scotch scotch scotch scotch scotch scotch scotch

Cave Troll, Shenanigator and Necronox like this.
  8. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

Bourbon bourbon bourbon bourbon bourbon bourbon bourbon

9. Necronox

Bourbon... never been a big fan of bourbon, whiskey or the likes personnslly. But the bottle looks nice.

Shenanigator and Iain Aschendale like this.
  10. Some Guy

My grandmother taught me to drink and play BlackJack the summer I turned fifteen - Beam old fashions, neat, push the orange slice down, bruise it, don't shred it, perforate the cherry, don't squeeze it, let it stand. Inhale the aromas just before you sip, hold it in your mouth to catch the combinations, exhale after you swallow to let the finish linger in the olfactory. A dominant flavor will always present, yet each sip may be a bit different, like the cards you are dealt. If you win, sit back and continue to savor that sip, as the chips come your way. If you lose, toss the rest back and swallow, as you get up to make another.
    She's gone, and I don't drink anymore, but I can still taste that old fashion every time I see chips and cards...

11. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I like the way you wrote this.

Trish and Shenanigator like this.
  12. Jenissej

Jenissej Professional Lurker Supporter Contributor

Cyanide is high on my favourite-poison-list. The concept of suffocation on cell-level while still breathing is terrifyingly fascinating.

For consumption, gimme a glass of absinthe with water (keeps the wits in place) or a good whisky. Did you know Sweden makes their own whisky? If you can get your hands on a bottle of Mackmyra Skordetid, by all means, grab that thing and send me a note. :D

Not ashamed to admit I like to dip into the psychedelics every now and then, too. Weed mostly, but since it's illegal where I live the risk is often not worth the poor quality stuff one can get around here. So it's back to poisoning my frontal lobes with alcohol. :dry:
    I've also had my share of experience with mushrooms and wood-rose and the like. I don't know if I actually like using those. I only touch them once every year or two at most. But the visions and revelations it's brought me I wouldn't want to miss.

13. Some Guy

Oh, thanks. I was kinda goin from the heart. I just looked at it again, and it is a bit prose-like. Gram and I were close, and there are a jillion little stories about her.

14. Necronox

I come from the very valley where absinthe was first distilled and made. Do you make yours with the sugar as well? And what type of absinthe do you drink: white, green, blue? (Just curious. Who knows, you may even come from the same valley, haha) Also, if ever you have the chance, you should try something called Gentiane. Quite rare, even today, but it is quite nice and has a pretty decent kick.

15. Jenissej

Jenissej Professional Lurker Supporter Contributor

Nah, I'm not lucky enough to hail from there :-D and I'm not an expert on absinthe either (blue absinthe? never heard of that). I only know enough to avoid the brilliant green stuff because that's almost always dyed.
    I like sugar in absinthe but not always. Cheaper stuff I sometimes use for mixes. Passion fruit juice and absinthe, sounds weird but I love it.
    Never heard of Gentiane. I'll have to look out for that.

16. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Hemlock is easy to obtain, so is lily of the valley...

oh alcohol... well I don't drink much anymore, but decent single malt scotch , or if I feel like getting totally trashed a frozen bottle of slivovitz

Cave Troll and Shenanigator like this.
  17. Necronox

Odd, passions fruit. I'm more traditionalist when it comes to absinthe. Must be serves in a tall glass, you have to use ice-cold water, slowly dripped over a special absinth spoon to disolve the sugar. Green, Blue and White absinthe is so called due to the colour the absinthe takes in the presence of water. Green absinthe is typically a lot more herbal whilst the 'white' or 'blanche' is the 'normal' version, which carries the taste of wormwood and anise, but still quite herbal. Blue absinthe becomes more of slightly pale sky blue and typically is a lot more akin to licorice in taste. None of these are dyed and they usually all uncoloured and transparent, similar to water, when in the bottle or unmixed.

@big soft moose what exactly is slivovitz?

18. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Coffee... Coffee... and more Coffee, it's the nectar of the gods... there is no point in even interacting with me till I have at least 24oz of coffee in my belly.

19. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Ideally it would be a chilled glass of Veuve Cliquot, but I wouldn't call that "poison"...

So, depending on the occasion, I'll go with a sidecar, or Eagle Rare bourbon on the rocks.

If we're not talking booze, coffee.

ETA: Or a really icy Coca-Cola in a glass bottle.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Homer Potvin likes this.
  20. Homer Potvin

Down at my folks house, where my dad has the wine cellar and scotch collection. Needless to say, I'm feeling expansive.

21. Shenanigator

OK, 'fess up. Did you ever sneak chicks down to the wine cellar?

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I've never actually tried absinthe, which seems strange given my background. I'd like to try it. Any recommendations/places to order it online? If you have any idea for a USian.

Shenanigator likes this.
  23. Homer Potvin

It wasn't there when I was a permanent residence. Dad was an engineer, and once he retired he started building shit left and right.

24. Shenanigator

Ah. Phooey. Kids always miss out on all the fun. Hey thanks to your saying "shit" the Forum has hit our Daily Five: food, drugs, sex, booze, poop! :) (edited for typo)

25. Homer Potvin

We had a beach to take all the girls to. As well as several discrete shore parking areas for "parking." There were nights you couldn't hear the ocean over the squeaking suspensions of a dozen parked cars.

Good times.

Dragon Turtle and Shenanigator like this.