1. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

Your Favourite YouTube Channels

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rad Scribbler, Aug 9, 2020.

I have been following Andrew Camarata's channel.

Andrew is self employed in the property maintenance business. He undertakes most, if not all the maintenance and repairs of his machinery and equipment.

He makes the most ordinary of tasks interesting to watch and I've picked up good DIY tips as well.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Some Guy and Steve Rivers like this.
  2. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

I follow a lot of vegans and gamers. Plus PewDiePie. One of my favorite channels is TwoSetViolin. They talk about classical music and make it accessible for those who may not have a university degree in it. Daniel Thrasher is another recent favorite. WhatCulture is my go to for top 10 lists.

Rad Scribbler likes this.
  3. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Darn, so many.

Wilderness
    Joe Robinet. Lovely bloke who goes camping and canoe fishing in the Canadian wilderness with his hilariously UNtrusty dog, Tripper.
    Primitive Technology. Just one half-naked Aussie, the Outback, and an insane amount of ingenuity, resourcefulness, and bushcraft skill that I guarantee will blow your mind.

Science / Space
    Anton Petrov. Keeping me up to date with the latest astronomical and scientific discoveries, and making sure everyone knows they are a wonderful person in the process.
    SpaceXcentric / Everyday Astronaut / Scott Manley Kevin keeps me up to date with SpaceX news. Tim Dodd tells me more than I ever thought I'd want to know about rocket engines. Scott Manley does everything from Kerbal Space Program to everything else the others cover.
    Boston Dynamics. Because Spot may look cute, but the robot revolution is utterly fascinating.

Movies / Gaming
    Red Letter Media. I'm a super-duper movie buff, and watching the worst movies ever made with them scratches that itch while also making me laugh so hard at times my cheeks ache. THE WHEEL OF THE WORST IS COMING FOR US ALL!
    Yong Yea for Gaming. He tells it like it is. No shilling for the corporations.
    Smack Talk. Due to health issues, Paul Turrel doesnt post as regularly as everyone else. But, when he does, it's usually hilarious and totally worth it. Professor Tosspot is fueled by the power of cocaine and cheap hookers.
    The Spiffing Brit - No bias because of my nationality, Spiff makes breaking games funny. Reanu Keeves will destroy us all, and do it effortlessly while drinking a nice cup of Yorkshire Tea.
    The Critical Drinker is probably the best movie/tv show critic on the Internet.

Politics
    Jonathan Pie - Up there with the best political satirists. He helps me laugh at all those silly people who crave power.

Reading
    Daniel Greene - Booktuber. Nice chap, bit corny/"youtuber hip" at times, but he gives good explanations as to why he likes or dislikes something. His recommendations are usually right up my alley (being about fantasy and scifi)
    Ellen Brock - Book Editor. Nice tips, not so active, but she has a real enthusiasm that shines through.
    (always looking for more booktubers. Im more nitpicky as to which ones I like, since I have to trust their judgment more. Also, finding ones that aren't just trying to show off "woke" credentials all the time is hard.)

Food
    Food Wishes - Chef John has a very distinctive voice, and always has some funny sayings that make you cringe and laugh in equal amounts. If you dont like Cayenne, avoid. Im pretty sure this guy puts Cayenne on his breakfast cereal he loves it so much.

Misc/Niche
    Denis Shiryaev - This guy takes the oldest movies from the 1890s to 1920s and restores some of them so well, you could imagine they were filmed in the 1980s. One or two look as good as if recorded on your cellphone.
    I'm a 3d cgi modeller, and even I'm blown away by the processes that this guy goes through and manages to pull off.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Seven Crowns, ps102 and Rad Scribbler like this.
  4. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

I rely on booktubers to find new books to read, eventually I started noticing trends among them in how they select books to read, often relying on tiktok reviews and other places where popular books make the waves. By popular I mean best-selling, classics people always read, books that have created a buzz, prize-winning books, etc. When I am at a loss, they always help me find something interesting to read, especially because they read something like 100 books a year so I am "doomed" to find something worth reading among their recommendations. But I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed by their lack of content--they describe the plot, whether they like a book, how they book made them feel, but considering how many of these booktubers have degrees in English literature, they never offer insights or thoughts of why the books they read matter or are relevant. I don't want to listen to an hour-long academic lecture in literature, but it would be nice to hear something more than just "this book made me cry" or "the book has an interesting voice". There are people who say a lot more, and sway my interest on certain books. But it starts to feel like superficial comments are becoming more and more the norm... I hope I am wrong.

Some Guy likes this.
  5. Mogador

Mogador Senior Member

For anyone who hasn't already discovered them, the Brandon Sanderson BYU Sci and Fantasy Creative Writing courses.

Madman likes this.
  6. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

For movies and TV reviews I like "The Critical Drinker".

7. Jlivy3

Jlivy3 Active Member

Tasting History with Max Miller

8. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I like the sites that review movies or just make fun of movies:
    Red Letter Media, Pitch Meeting, Spookyastronauts, The Horror Geek, The Critical Drinker, Film Threat, Weird Movies with Mark, Filmento

The only game channel I watch is BastichB because he just talks about old Commodore games. I don't like modern games. Well, maybe some indies. I don't play AAA games. Anything that tries to microtransaction me is the enemy.

For music I listen to record label channels. Century Media, Nuclear Blast, Artisan Era, Season of Mist. I listen to random metal albums constantly. I also listen to M-Line every Friday which is these Hello Project idols (retired from that label mostly) discussing new jpop, playing recent solo concerts, small groups and such. And whatever that boat race channel is with Tanaka Reina. I love that show. It's these little boats rocketing around a circuit with a death wish and Reina bets on the winner. When she loses she has to do a penalty, which seems to always be sekushi pozu, and then she sings snippets of Morning Musume songs.

What else? DAZN boxing because they'll show full matches. StezStix repairing old electronics, which I find inspiring and relaxing. Nerdrotic for amusing pop culture stuff. Chess24 for live matches. Daniel Naroditsky because he has the best chess lessons by a mile. No one else is even close.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    ps102 likes this.
  9. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2023

ElectroBOOM — The dude is a genius at making science lessons extremely fun to watch. He is basically like that one high school teacher which everyone loves. I learned so much about electronics from him.

Druaga1 — Obscure but really fun to watch channel if you have a knack for retro computers. He does home-styled videos on his struggle against old tech. Unfortunately, he barely does any videos nowadays, but I still often re-watch his old ones.

Adrian's Digital Basement — he repairs retro computers from the C64 era with advanced tools. I like him a lot, but for some reason, I stopped watching at some point, even though component-level repair is interesting to me. I wonder if the algorithm took him away from my feed and I never noticed...

Nice to see there is a fellow retro computer person here. I'm not sure I expected to find someone who cared in a writing forum, it's a nice surprise :)

Interesting that you dislike modern games. My interest in games died completely overtime and I'm not really sure why. I grew up around the Nintendo DS era, but before I got my DSi, I had one of those 1000-in-1 NES knock-off consoles that I played with for years. I grew up in the 2000s but I got a bit of exposure from the 80s this way. I don't know, video games just felt more fun back then...

I miss the DS era. Many people criticize Nintendo for making their consoles gimmicky and not top of the line powerhouses. I think that's bullshit. I remember bringing my DS on school trips and playing with other kids using the Wireless Play feature. It was so, so much fun. That's what made the console special to me, that sharing aspect. And other little things like the Pictochat. We'd all start it up on the school bus and communicate. God, how much do I miss those days... (did I already say that ? :))

Seven Crowns likes this.
  10. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I also like agadmator's channel as well as Smirnoff's channel (Remote Chess Academy) but that's geared toward lower rated players but that's why I like it, it's a good site to refer to someone that knows the basics but not ready for the more advanced stuff. I also watch Ben Finegold's channel but that's mainly because of his delivery, but some of his longer, topic-specific videos are good. Unfortunately it's not the kind of channel you can recommend to younger players. I also like some of Jonathan Schrantz's videos although some of the lines aren't sound, but some are good to be prepared for.

I won't name them, but there are a few youtube creators that I subscribe to that will upscale and post JPOP and KPOP videos from the 80's to early 2000's using AI software (Topaz?).

Does anyone watch Sabine Hossenfelder's channel? I don't actually watch her videos a lot but everyone I've seen is interesting and is explained at a level that a less technical person like me can understand.

Some Guy and Seven Crowns like this.
  11. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Yeah, I've seen all those and respect them lots. I used to watch agadmator a lot along with Finegold (Knife to F5!). Hikaru's channel was really fun too. I just find Naroditsky's approach to be really, really impressive. He's tremendous at sharing insights and showing you how a GM thinks. He'll take an hour showing you a live game and will then discuss all the interesting lines and strategies. It's exhaustive compared to the other channels.

And Smirnoff too. Yeah, that's a great channel! I've just started watching him a couple months ago. We watch some of the same shows, haha.

Bruce Johnson likes this.
  12. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Melodysheep and Kurzgesagt.

Also, a whole heap of medieval and classical music channels.

Some Guy and Seven Crowns like this.
  13. Le gribouilleur

Le gribouilleur Active Member

Some of my favourites:

PostmodernJukebox

Cityscape Studio

JFootballTV

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  14. Jlivy3

Jlivy3 Active Member

Simon Roper talking about language is practically ASMR, especially when he's talking about Old English. Sometimes he loses me but I don't care. And he's not even a linguist.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  15. Le gribouilleur

Le gribouilleur Active Member

Animagraffs

16. oraxa

oraxa Member

Currently Reading::
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Housseini
    Just to name a few:
    Ready To Glare- She does commentary on current topics like YouTube/TikTok drama, LGBTQ issues, celebrities, pedophilia, etc.
    Of Herbs and Altars- I love their whole gothic aesthetic and their videos destigmatizing eating disorders and mental illness
    AJay Deluxe- does music album reviews and some of her reactions are just iconic

17. Dewey

Dewey Active Member

A few of my favorites:
    Chubbyemu- channel run by a toxicologist who does medical case presentations
    Freakonomics Radio- they have a lot of fun podcasts, my favorites of those being No Stupid Questions and Freakonomics M.D.
    Lackadaisy- home of my new favorite series that's set in Prohibition but with cats

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  18. Sir Reginald Pinkleton

Sir Reginald Pinkleton Member

Drachinifel, the Charismatic Voice and Napalm Records.

Seven Crowns likes this.