Your life outside of the forums

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GrandJury, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Greenwood

Greenwood Active Member

I'm running the Quality control/inspection department of a plant that manufactures interiors for high-speed trains. We're currently working on a project for some new HST's in Switserland. Now that I think of it, this is so different from what I wanted to be like 10 years ago. It's still fun work, mind you, although the work is quite demanding sometimes.

My original goal, after following a Languages and tourism study, was to pack up and move to Greece to set up shop there with a car rental and tour guide office. That was back in '09. When I finished my study, I had to do a 6 month internship in Greece, and back then shit was already pretty much hitting the fan in there. It pretty much broke my dreams of moving there, and I had to shift my perspective. Sad. really, but I did fine in the end. Who knows, maybe I'll head there one day.

2. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

Now I'm confused. Where do the storks get the babies from?

3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Spain. Obviously. ;)

4. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Wow, there's some pretty cool professionals here. As a high school student who will be entering college after the next school year ( I should be a senior but I repeated a grade, so ya) I don`t really know what I want to do with my life. I like the idea of therapist to help people, but I'd get to emontily attached and invested. I`ve been told that`s counterproductive. I`ve thought about teaching, writing, photography, beekeeping, history, museum work, and etc. I don`t really know, I know I would like a job that incorporates writing of some sort. Not necessarily being published but something with a writing element to it. Wouldn`t mind seeing my photos in a show at some point. Already had one, in a calendar.

I sent in an application to volunteer at a local animal shelter, and i`ve thought about vetinary school but it`s about the same cost as medical school and I don`t know if I could really stand to see sick animals day in and day out. I`ve also considered sending stories off places to see if they can get publishedi f I ever get one up to par. So ya we`ll see what life brings.

5. Oscar Leigh

Keep thinking mate. It's all any of us can do. That and ask questions. Find out what jobs that you like will actually work for you and as a stable career.

6. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

They sort of train us to work through our shit (which, for many of us, includes all our messy trust/insecurity/attachment crap) before letting us see people. We lay our shit out to fellow students and professors, and are required to do some personal therapy as well. You would write dozens of "personal reflection" papers until you can't stand "your own shit" anymore, because it's become boring (not triggering/uncomfortable). It is a very, very magical thing to be doing. It is personally transformative in ways I could hardly describe to you. The actually shitty part, I'd argue, is more administrative. They don't even really tell you in grad school that scheduling and paperwork will, in collusion with each other, make you want to shoot yourself. But that's why it's always a good idea to have the suicide hotline in your cell phone! And hey, those hotline workers are interns just like you, who need the hours so eventually they can get paid a more decent wage! :D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    BruceA, Oscar Leigh and Ben414 like this.
  7. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

Given that the adult female population in Spain is roughly 19.3 million and the annual birth rate worldwide is 131.4 million, that means the average woman from Spain is birthing 6.8 children per year!

Sack-a-Doo! and Oscar Leigh like this.
  8. AdDIct

AdDIct Active Member

Lol I wish you luck with that. I'm sort of jealous in a way actually. I find it fascinating how people seem to want to devote themselves so completely to another person. Idk, never really made all that much sense to me and I have a general sort of disconnect with people so I've never really felt anything aside for lust for a person

9. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

No, because they get the children from storks...

Komposten and minstrel like this.
  10. Oscar Leigh

You'll find love eventually. Unless you're aro. :superthink:

11. Oscar Leigh

Then where do the babies come from?!!!

You know, I've heard this weird crazy rumour, an alternate explanation as it were, silly I know. But in this rumour, they say women have these things called vaginas, that are like woman penises but holes:superconfused:, and having sex with a woman you put your sperm in there and somehow it makes a baby. But it makes no sense. First of all, what do the storks do then? And second, who the hell would have sex with a woman when you have men instead?? It's like eating McDonalds when you have reservations at a five star gourmet place. :bigmeh:
    :supercheeky::supercheeky:

Nicoel likes this.
  12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

There are many state-of-the-art baby factories in Spain. They farm the babies in them, and when the babies hatch, they're smoked for various lengths of time until their skins are the right shade, then they're packed off to the Distribution Center, from which storks deliver them around the world. The reason you don't see many storks around is that they're all in Spain waiting for babies to come out of the smoker.

All this talk about penises and vaginas is spread by men who just want to have more sex. They only way they can do it is by convincing women that they have to in order to have babies. o_O

13. Oscar Leigh

So I was right. @123456789 what do you say to that?! :D
    We should probably not derail this thread with a fifteen post long extended joke about stork babies though...

14. AdDIct

AdDIct Active Member

oh yeah, pretty sure I am aro LOL. so it's not that big of a concern. Romantic love is baffling. I just sometimes wonder what it would feel like lol

15. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm a bid writer for a consultancy. So when public sector organisations need suppliers in my field, we submit a bid that tries to persuade them we're the best people for the job. It's an excellent complement to fiction writing. There are immovable deadlines. The page or word limits are often ridiculously tight, so I've learned to pack as much information in as few words as possible. And it's got me used to my writing being rejected and somebody else's picked up. :D

matwoolf, KaTrian, Witchymama and 2 others like this.
  16. Oscar Leigh

Weeeelll, I have this crush on a straight guy, and it's definitely a bit more than lust. I get a teensy bit stalkery over him. Like, whenever we have classes together, I always want to sit next to him, and I pay more attention to him being away than anyone else. And when there's physical contact, even through shirts, I get tingles like no-one else gives me.
    :superfrown::superwhew: The pain of statistics.
    "Hey, you have a type? Well guess what? There's only a small percentage of guys at your school with the correct orientation, and none of them fit it!!" :supertongue::supertongue::supertongue:
    :supermad:
    Smallish vent over. :rant:
    (Don't worry, I'm okay.)

17. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I've spent my life learning and exploring. After a batshit crazy experience as a teen in LA in the 60s-70s, I read a book on how to travel and get paid for it. The first option was being a teacher and the second was being a nurse. So I went to nursing school. Best decision I ever made.

I've traveled half the world and grown my experience as a nurse from a 35 bed hospital in a small town in Colorado while I lived with a bunch of fun people in Steamboat Springs to a public health nurse in Bellingham WA to a pediatric nurse in the Tri-Cities in WA to an ICU nurse to a nurse practitioner to a nurse entrepreneur in Seattle. I changed jobs almost every year until 25 years ago. I lived in four states, went back to college a bunch of times, and my jobs ranged from small hospital to large, from pediatrics to bone marrow transplant, from the ED to the ICU, from drug rehab to family practice to psych hospital to my current occupation which draws on all my experiences. I opened an occupational infectious disease employee health service company 25 years ago.

My son was born 27 years ago. His dad left when I was pregnant but I dealt with it and my son turned out to be a kid any mom would be proud of.

When I write all that down, I amaze myself. "You really have done all of that, yes you have." That's not even all of it.

About 15 years ago I got interested in the James Randi Foundation promoting critical thinking and media literacy. Besides all my science hobbies (fossils, astronomy and geology) I've taken up with a group of skeptics.

Then about four years ago I took up writing (something I've always wanted to do). I have two fiction novels in me and one non-fiction book on the Real History of Nursing. The first book in my duology is nearing completion. It's taken this long because I've had to teach myself to write along with the most fortunate luck of finding a critique group with a leader that is a natural born writing teacher and my son to bounce ideas and my work off of who happens to be a connoisseur of literature and incredibly insightful. I do believe he will be a writer some day, or a musician like his father or both.

It's not been all roses, there have been ups and downs, but that's all experiences that make one's life wonderful. You can't have good if you don't have bad. When I feel poor I think of places I've been where people were really poor. When I'm jealous of people who have partners I think of what I'd have had to give up if I'd just settled down with someone years ago.

No, I am happy with my choices and make the best of what I have. And right now, I make enough money and have enough time off to write a novel I think is turning out well. Even if no one else likes it, I do and my son thinks it's better than many published novels. And those are the opinions that count.

18. Oscar Leigh

You know, my blog here is essentially practice for activism.
    When I'm doing activism related topics that is.

19. BruceA

BruceA Active Member

I run a vegetarian bed and breakfast in France with my wife, dog and three cats. We live in the Limousin area, famous for it's production of beef, but surprisingly our B&B has worked ok, although most of our guests are NOT vegetarian they are willing to give it a shot. We were on local TV a couple of weeks ago, and invited some neighbours for a meal, so it could be filmed. One of their friends sympathised with them, afterwards - not because they ate a vegetarian meal, but because the meal was cooked by the 'English'! (My wife is Welsh, not English! But everyone here whose native tongue is English is English, even South Africans. English food still has a reputation, here, for being dreadful, even though most restaurants in small British towns throw away better food than they serve in the restaurants here!)

Before that I was a mental health nurse and a manager in the NHS in north london: ran a Crisis and Home Treatment Team, worked in a Forensic Unit, worked in an adolescent unit (still haunts me, and my writing! I think about those kids almost everyday, and it has been almost 18 years since I worked there). (Edit: I also volunteered for a telephone suicide helpline, an experience that also can't help but infect what I write). Before that I worked in computers (the days when windows had just started and I preferred DOS).

I met my wife 25 years ago following a band called Ned's Atomic Dustbin, and will have been living with her for 25 years this September (we got married in 2002, though).

As hobbies I make things out of felt (google feltbuzz if you are interested) and write, mostly not at the same time! I also am renovating a 200 year old farmhouse.

20. GrandJury

GrandJury Member

My mother was a nurse, as well as my grandmother (mother side, mom's mom), and my great-grandmother might have well as been one. I've always respected nurses and what they do! :)

21. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

My mother was a nurse, too. Respect for the nurses! :)

GingerCoffee likes this.
  22. Wayjor Frippery

Wayjor Frippery Contributor Contributor

This is a fascinating thread, and I've thoroughly enjoyed learning a bit about everyone's lives.

This is true. I live in Spain. I know.

When I'm not sitting in the park watching squadrons of storks sailing over the horizon, I teach English to people who would like to speak it better - mostly suity business types - which I love because I learn all kinds of random stuff about all kinds of random stuff. I also teach a few teenagers - which is something I generally try to avoid because people whose parents pay for their classes don't tend to have the same motivation levels as people who are spending their own cash to better themselves. That is obviously a gross generalization, but it's something I've found to be depressingly true.

Before Spain, I lived in the UK, where I was a documentary film editor for eight years. That was also fun but left me very little time for anything you might call 'a life'. And besides, the weather is much better in Spain. Oh, and there was this Spanish girl. Love of my life. Now we've got rings and sofas and cots and nappies, and I still feel the same rush when she smiles as I did over a decade ago when she smiled at me outside a jazz club on a rainy Sunday night.

I'm neither old nor young, but I am still optimistic/stubborn/arrogant/deluded enough to think that one day soon I'll be a full(ish)time novelist.

23. Sileas

Sileas Member

yikes.....

I'm a roman catholic. is this forum not my place? I'll eff off if I'm not welcome.

GrandJury likes this.
  24. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Huh?

25. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

I am a stay at home wife and mom. I grow vegetables and herbs for teas and tinctures, raise chickens, and sew. Mostly quilts, but I also have a few clients that I make clothes for, and I do alterations. When I am not doing any of that or writing, I study. I study a wide range of topics, from herbalism and reiki, to astrology and numerology.

matwoolf, Tenderiser and Oscar Leigh like this.