Your life outside of the forums

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GrandJury, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Feel free to contribute. There's no problem here.
    And do you really mean the whole forum? DON'T LEAVE US!:cry:

Ochalis likes this.
  2. Ochalis

Ochalis Member

BROTHER! :bigeek:

No really, this is a/the creative writing forum. As the name would imply, it's about writing! All things writing can be found here! Writers abound (from all walks of life, as you can see, and religions)!

As for me, I'm a junior at my highschool. I plan to become a dentist, raise a family, and once my kids move out, me and my wife will move to Hawaii to set up a little Catholic bookshop. If not that, I plan to work at Disneyland as a candy...person. Something like that! :bigsmile:

matwoolf, GrandJury and GingerCoffee like this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

A candy person? :confused:
    Is that like, your a sacrificial offering to the ravenous children hordes? :pop:

Ochalis likes this.
  4. Ochalis

Ochalis Member

Anything for the kiddos! :agreed:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I'm a retired pharmacist. Spent most of my life working in big university hospitals up and down the US east coast. I also did plenty of time (and I do mean doing time) in the retail pharmacy world, and even a few years in nuclear pharmacy.

My ex & I spent many years showing, breeding, & rescuing American Eskimo dogs. (Hence the nickname and yes I was one of those dorky guys running in circles with a poofy dog.)
    Now I'm just relaxing while I try this whole writing thing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    matwoolf, Shbooblie, Wreybies and 2 others like this.
  6. Oscar Leigh

Oh my god, so cute!! :love:

7. Possum

Possum Member

I'm currently a homeschooled, high school sophomore living in Oregon. I enjoy running long distances, hiking in the woods around my house, competitive speech and debate, and just recently theater. I find writing fun, although I have virtually no experience with it beyond papers for school. I would like to try writing longer stuff as a hobby, but I certainly don't have the time right now.

I find public policy fascinating, and hope to get a degree in foreign policy or political science down the road. In the more immediate future I'd like to get my drivers license, and possibly a job. (So I can pay for that degree! :bigeek:)

(I'm also a Roman Catholic, but don't worry; I'm not leaving. :D)

Shbooblie, Wreybies, Jeni and 2 others like this.
  8. Oscar Leigh

As long as your not a bigot or something, FYI I'm gay, I have no problem with having you around at all. You seem nice.

9. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

I go to community college where I'm pursuing an associate's degree in English and a certificate in creative writing. I plan to do a dual admission to a college in my home town for a cheaper price overall. When I'm not here posting or lurking about I'm doing my school work, writing my stories, or going outside.

GingerCoffee and Oscar Leigh like this.
  10. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I love reading about pretty much all those things: crafts, alternative healing, different beliefs. I was happy to find your blog. :D

Witchymama likes this.
  11. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Thanks. I will be blogging about it all. The main reason I never settled on any career is because I enjoy so many different things. I get obsessed with a new topic and stay neck deep in that subject until the obsession passes.

I have enjoyed your blog. You keep me laughing.:superlaugh:

Tenderiser likes this.
  12. Jeni

Jeni Member

I am a wife, a mother of four grown kids, and grandmother to three grandbabies. I worked as a Registered Nurse for about twenty years. In eighth grade, a friend of mine talked me into writing a play. It was an Easter play and was performed as our annual Easter performance. I have been writing on and off since. Other than that play and until this forum, I've never let anyone look at my work. I can also draw, sing, act, paint, and I am crafty. I don't work currently, I just read and write. I am working on getting out of my comfort zone in all areas.

13. PassTheDrinks

PassTheDrinks New Member

I actually just signed up for the forum, but I'd thought I'd put in my reply.

I have a 3 year old son, so that can give you some insight in what I do for the most part. Other than that, I am currently looking for a job. I was a nanny last year for my best friend's daughter, but she lives on the other side of the city and my car just wouldn't take it anymore. So I'm looking for an hourly job close by to bring in some income. Other than that, I started a blog yesterday for book reviews. I have not written but only one post. Usually I am reading something. A new book every day and a half to two days. I currently started Hunter S. Thompson's The Rum Diary and had finished Holes by Louis Sachar, which I loved. I took a break from the Rum Diary to make this forum in hopes to get my name out there as I want to continue writing again.

I write short stories mainly lately. I used to only do novels and I have two in the works, but I thought I'd put out some small works before finishing those and hoping to head to a publisher some time in the future.

14. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'm a freelance English teacher living in the Czech Republic :) Currently I only have 3 classes a week as I'm technically on "maternity" (no such thing for me because I was freelance before I gave birth, but basically it just means I'm keeping work to a minimum to stay with the kid). Baby girl's now 8 months old and I'm hoping to get my old job back at the Japanese school in Sep. The principal has already said they will need a new teacher for Sep and has asked me to please apply for it come June/July. So fingers crossed, but it's looking likely they'll want me back. One of these days I'll move back to England, hopefully, but for now life in Prague is very good.

Oh and I have hopes of raising my daughter as a trilingual. She will certainly be bilingual - but the third language (Cantonese) is up in the air for now. I keep worrying if I spoke Cantonese to her then she wouldn't pick up English :bigconfused:

15. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I have a master's degree in English and I minored in pedagogy, so I'm a qualified language teacher. However, I ended up employed by a multinational corporation (so I'm a corporate rat), and now I train employees instead of teach English. But it's okay, I've gotten to travel in Europe and it's a steady job, so yay. :) I'll probably get back to language teaching later as I'm planning to add Swedish or French to my repertoire, so it'd be easier to find a job. I just have to study some more. :) My employer also gives me translation jobs every now and then, but I've come to realize translation isn't exactly my thing. I also write/create content to two webzines, which is fun.

In addition to work and writing, I ride horses and box. Both hobbies are super dear to me and it's hard to imagine my life without either. I guess I get easily stuck in comfortable ruts, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I s'pose. :p

matwoolf, Shbooblie, Lewdog and 3 others like this.
  16. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I started writing when getting a job in a small town became impossible. So I have way too much free time on my hands, living alone in my mother's house. Been divorced for a little over two years, and gone a little bonkers crazy insane (mainly from lack of human contact :p). But on the flip side it has given me ample time to pursue my dream of writing a Sci-fi novel or two. According to a few, I ain't that bad at it. Even though I opted to put my own spin on how to go about the whole ordeal by not following the traditional guidelines/format. Only hard part so far is how to convince some big wig to publish my novel, while I work on its sequel. If only I was a crappy writer like E L James, then I would be set for life (though most would agree that they don't want to be that horrible :p). I listen to way to much music, and hang out on youtube like an addict. Been to some pretty dark places in the past couple of years trying to come to grips with the reality that people genuinely suck around here in this small town. If it weren't for my family who knows where I would be, also writing helps.

Yeah I know my life is sad, and filled with a large empty spot. But hey the alternatives could be much less palatable. Who needs friends when imagination won't abandon you like friends do. At the end of the day I make the best of the shit sandwich I have been handed. :D

17. Oscar Leigh

Eh, doesn't sound that bad.

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

:)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  19. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

It's so interesting reading everyone's stories and learning about the people behind the avatars!

In the spirit of the thread here's my two pence.
    I'm currently a 3rd year Criminology and Forensic Science student, I graduate this July. I work part time in a clothes shop, which I have done for the past 5 years, and before that I spent a year working in a contact center - my jobs have been mind numbingly boring but gave me a chance to daydream at least.I'm currently looking for jobs in the criminal justice service, got an interview in just under two weeks to be a police station clerk, which I'm super nervous for. If I don't get it I'm thinking of training to be a Biology/Chemistry teacher or studying a masters in Creative Writing/Psychology.

I've always got some little project going on, 'cause I'm never happy unless I'm making something, if I'm not writing, I'm drawing or making music. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a scatterbrain so often things are left unfinished 'cause I flit from one thing to the other. Still living with parents at the minute but hoping to move in with my boyfriend who I've been with for 7 years once I find a stable job.

20. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I been living in the US nine mo0nths since @123456789 found me. I comb his hair, arrange clothes in the morning, his orange juice, his papers.

Life is good - the pool available to staff Mondays till 10am. @123456789 come back from Washington, I wash his toes, peel his banana, then I sleep.
    Maybe one day have a life of my own, childrens or orphans or pussycats. Otherwise i write romance and boss stories, ladies in love with aman of power in a suit, that smell when they come back from the city is irrisistible.

21. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Oh well.. seeing that everyone pitches in I cannot withold myself here :D

I was once a secretary. Now I am a seismologist in the UK, after getting back to university at age 30 to get a degree and knocking around the world some. And I love blue water sailing. Give me a good crew, a boat and a storm any day! :)

22. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Isn't the UK quite a boring place to be a seismologist?

23. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Not when you are sitting in a place where reports from all over gather :D

But.. I have never been in an earthquake myself. I know that sounds strange but I would love to, sometimes.. *sigh*

Oscar Leigh and Tenderiser like this.
  24. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

I recently graduated from college with a major in political science. Despite being fairly lukewarm about the idea of working in politics, I gained experience as a legislative assistant and then managed a state senate campaign. These experiences were enough for me to determine that I didn't want a career in politics.

Luckily, I have been able to find a job that fits my professional interests much better. Now, I work with state child welfare agencies (e.g. Child Protective Services, foster care, adoption, etc.) to teach them how to use data to effectively track their processes and improve the outcomes for the children involved with them. Outside of my main job, I am also a court-appointed special advocate for victims of child abuse.

I love my job, but I have more ambitious goals for what I'd like to do in the future. I'm not sure exactly what type of job I want,
    and figuring that out will determine whether I need to get a PhD or a master's degree. Child welfare has my focus right now, but I'd also consider working on other issues such as poverty, forced migration, gender/racial/religious violence, sexual violence, and human trafficking.

25. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

What I've always wondered about is .... who brings the baby storks?

I'm retired from a working life that has included health inspector, hang gliding instructor, sail-maker, tent-maker, and other pursuits. During that time, I also tried my hand at free-lance writing and actually sold almost everything I wrote, but wasn't productive enough to make it work as a full-time job.

I took a "creative writing" class in college that proved to be a waste of time. Now I write about whatever strikes my fancy, and don't worry about whether it sells or not. My self-published book (on tent-making) did fairly well, and I'm hoping that my next book (on VW buses) won't end up being too embarrassing.

I do a lot of car camping, make musical instruments like guitars and mandolins, and read a lot, mostly non-fiction. My personal motto is "If I rest, I rust."