Your opinion of Marijuana, please.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jaclyn, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

LOL. Yep. I'm a big fan of clear thinking :)

2. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

In addition to some the points Cogito made, it is also addictive, though perhaps not as much as alcohol or tobacco. I have a friend who used to tell me it wasn't addictive - and here is his needing to smoke it almost daily to help him relieve "stress."

3. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I really would stress people to reference where they recieved their facts about marijuana before stating them. As I said before, marijuana is a very misconcieved drug.

I found two different websites which share information about common misconceptions concerning the drug, that actually contradict each other about becoming addicted to marijuana:

NIDA - Publications - Marijuana: Facts for Teens, pg 13-14

Drug Policy Alliance: Myths and Facts About Marijuana

I'm fascinated as to why there are so many misconceptions about marijuana.

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Once you have lived a life around the drug you get to know more than what you want to know. I have been around the drug for 11 years now and I know what they drug does to people and I won't ever change my mind about it. I saw a completely wonderful person turn into a drug f'd moron. He became paranoid all the time his moods were erratic and he is still that way now.

I was a totally different person on it as well and I hate the drug and all drugs. Sorry but it isn't safe at all. It alters your way of thinking and feeling and that is never good. Sorry again but I've seen this drug and many others ruin peoples lives completely. I would never say it was safe to use what so ever.

5. lessa

lessa New Member

I can get a prescription for marijuana for pain but I never would.
    Taken years ago when someone was young and indestructible he now has no short term memory. Or at least a really bad short term memory.
    I cannot go near someone who smokes up since just the smell gives me a migraine headache within 1 min of smelling the stuff.
    So no good for me for pain.
    It is used for glaucoma patients and apparently it works on relieving the pressure in their eyes. which is good.
    But to just smoke up like you would drink a beer is just plain stupid. It does harm you maybe not immediately but think about later in life when it comes back to haunt you.
    I am all for live for the day but in some things actions today have consequences down the road.

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Perfectly worded Lessa. I agree with you 100% there.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my opinion of marijuana...

i strongly oppose the 'recreational' use of any mind/behavior-altering substance... that includes alcoholic anything...

if mj can alleviate the suffering of some who are ill and/or dying, i think it should be allowed to be used as any prescribed drug is, for those reasons...

8. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

Never tried it or any drugs, but I would like to at some point - just the once of course. The last time I was in Amsterdam I thought about having one of those 'space muffins', but never got around to it.

Personally my favourite drug is adrenaline :p

9. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

I use weed very infrequently.

I use it instead of alcohol, like Jaclyn. I do this because alcoholism runs strong in my family, and even if it isn't the wisest choice, I feel that for my genetic makeup, marijuana is healthier for me than acholol is.

I only use weed when I really just want to let loose. I am typically a bit of an uptight person, and weed just relaxes me. Not only that, but sometimes I need to feel like I'm taking a risk in my life. While I don't recommend doing drugs to anyone (but myself, haha), I will admit that it is nice every once in a while.

(Disclaimer: I only do it on weekends and probably once a month, or even more infrequently than that.)

10. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

I would also like to add that I am not a fan of being addicted.

Lighting up every once in a while because I want to, I feel, is totally fine.

But the minute I feel like things are getting out of control, and I'm lighting up because I need to, I am out of the situation. That's why I dont drink anymore, again, because of my family's history with alcohol.

I'd like to control my own life, thank you very much.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If alcoholism runs in the family, you may also be at higher than average risk for addiction in general. This is also a major reason why people dependent on one substance are likely to get just as dependent on something else if they manage to kick the first habit.

12. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

This is true, Cogito. My mother is a recovering alcoholic and is a smoker as well. On the other hand, my father has never touched any substance that should not be put into your body. I feel that because I have knowledge of both lifestyles, I can live a balanced lifestyle myself.

I recognize that it may not be the most healthy for me, but as long as I am not addicted (believe me, I would back out if I was, I know what my mother was like, and I would NEVER put anyone else through that pain), I dont see why I shouldn't have a little fun in my life as well.

I understand that you can have healthier fun, but sometimes it helps. :)

13. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I agree with mypensmysoul completely.

14. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

It's funny how you think it's so easy. You can't just stop when you start needing to. That's the problem with using drugs. They can get a hold of you before you know it, and it's not just a simple "I'll just stop now" when they do. It's hard. Clearly, I'm talking to people who've never had to try to quit using before. Let me tell you... It's not easy. It's not simple. It's hard, and sometimes it takes a long time. When I was using heroin, I got off it for a year and then I relapsed again and ended up having to start all over. Then I got off it for a few months, relapsed, and had to start all over again. It's hard.

15. lessa

lessa New Member

I smoke but intermittently. I can pick them up and put them down with little effect on me.
    I use them to deter black flies and mosquitoes which I am very allergic to.
    I don't and never have done illegal drugs. Just seemed stupid to me.
    I did drink but alcoholism runs in both sides of my family and my husbands family so when our children were little we just gave it up. Never were big drinkers anyway.
    But I was addicted to prescription drugs. Didn't know I was until I was on my honeymoon and had left the fiorinal at home. Husband said you won't need them because you won't get headaches with just me around.
    BIG mistake. That night there were spiders and bugs and snakes all over the room. It took 2 days for me to get back to normal. Some honeymoon eh.
    Now if I need painkillers which I do. I ask the dr. for oxicoten. highly addictive but they are the only thing that works. I get 15 at a time and they last me 2 months.
    I am very careful about drugs of any type now.
    So I agree you do not know you are addicted until something happens to the supply.

16. PrincessGarnet

I know someone who was criticizing smokers for being so weak willed, and she made the bet that she would smoke for 3 months and then give up - just to show how easy it was. She failed, and is a smoker, and an idiot.

But I have to admit that I still believe I would be able to control myself. I've been on so called addictive drugs like morphine and valium (prescriptions- of course), and didn't feel any cravings or anything like that - even though morphine was quite a pleasant experience

17. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Simple drugs are bad idiots take them.

18. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

That's a blanket statement, Haunter. I'd agree in 80% of cases, but I think there are some where they genuinely help the people. Not a permanent solution, but I'm willing to believe that they are capable of easing difficult situations even if they are far from the best course of action.

19. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Heroin is a lot different than weed, though.

20. Banzai

Addiction is addiction, heroin or weed.

21. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I don't agree with that. Heroin is A LOT stronger than weed. Comparing them like that is kind of dumb.

22. Banzai

I'll agree that it's easier to get addicted to some things than others, but once you're addicted, you're addicted.

23. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Yes, that's true.

24. PrincessGarnet

yeah there are some drugs where if you get addicted to a certain extent coming straight off can actual send your body in shock and can lead to medical problems.

25. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Alcohol can do that too -- if you're an alcoholic. I wonder if weed could? Like if you were a really, really, really hardcore weed smoker.... RESEARCH TIME!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.