Your opinions on hip-hop?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by E-REK, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Never heard of him; I've been listening to him since you posted that, and I gotta tell you I'm not feeling it. Doesn't seem like he's doing anything new or different or challenging.

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I'm into most music genres so yeah, I like hip hop. But like others have said, as is the case with all genres, some are good and some are bad. I'll like some hip hop, but dislike others. This is rather subjective. I have to say though that the thing that puts me off hip hop the most are the lyrics.

3. Forkfoot

Well as you just said, some are good and some are bad. If you haven't heard brilliant lyrics you just haven't heard any of the good stuff yet. Some really excellent songs have been posted in this thread already.

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

^ Yeah, I haven't looked at what's been suggested in this thread yet. I'll have to at some point.

5. Forkfoot

Here's that song I was talking about by Brother Ali, a white Muslim albino from Minneapolis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13fLLrWMXA

This one's called "Babygirl". Powerful song.

6. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

-the best hip hop is from the 90's on back,back when it was art and before it became commercialized by white guys in suits and used as a form of mind control.i luvs hip hop,not always into rap (rap and hip hop are not synonymous.hip hop=krs-one)can't stand country,like a little alternative,luv alternative rap (linkin' park,P.O.D,red hot chilli peppers,gorillaz in some songs)some rock and literally only a handful of metal songs.

7. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I'm tired of a lot of music; I am so tired of hearing the same songs over and over on the radio. I like some hip-hop, but for the most part I stick with classic rock and alternative.

8. Forkfoot

I dunno if it's like this everywhere, but over here all the low-frequency FM stations (like 89.7, 91.5) are small-bandwidth operations, like run by colleges and stuff, and they play stuff I've NEVER heard before, real unique, unusual stuff that's really broadened my musical palette.

9. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I've spent a lot of time in the Bay Area, and the music selection is a lot better down there. There's a station out of Berkeley that has special shows that focus on particular types of music, I used to listen to that a lot. Can't remember what the station was though.