Your Plot in a Nutshell

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by stampman, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Yes, that's also something I was thinking. You should be careful with that story. The fairytale like setup means people will be expecting any ironic twists you pull on prophecies. You'll have to be clever.

2. Oscar Leigh

What I want to know is, when you say the creative and real world blurs, do you mean something fantastical or just some dramatic life stuff?

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Life stuff - it's not really a fantasy just a psychological thriller/drama. There are dark themes in the tv show that start affecting their real world. Most of my ideas are blurs and not completely fleshed out yet. When I write I'm about one scene ahead of myself. :rolleyes: But one element I did decide on is that the boy's best friend who is a schizophrenic starts to believe the kid is his TV persona capable of powers to make people disappear.

4. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Twin brothers, who have the ability to transmit injuries to one another, fight crime in the belief that they are superheroes. But they soon find out why superheroes do not exist. The twin brothers must face The Purity Project, an old organization with the mission to preserve humanity and to cull mutants as soon as they're born.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    The Year- 2715ish+

Old enemies work out differences, and declare war on Terra (one of them is Terran :p). Military Politics, blazing guns, slashing swords, death & destruction, boozing, torture, boozing, more gunpoint politics, Military Life, and on and on.

Did I mention massive alien battleships, a sexy sadist, and large piloted Military style war-frames! Military dry humor, and lots of blood and guts to make up for the low action periods. So yeah fun for the whole family, action, Space!, war machines, harsh language, graphic violence, sexual suggestive language, alcohol use, crude humor, smoking (tobacco), and moments that will make you cry like a little girl. :superlaugh:

All that in the first installment.

Coming soon in part II: More violence, more harsh language, romance, sad moments, more boozing, more war-frames, Space!, and possibly a long awaited sex scene between two characters. (Spoilers):superlaugh:

zoupskim and Oscar Leigh like this.
  6. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

Not real? Why not? I wanna read it! (Seriously, that is a really cool premise.)

7. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

Thanks. I kind of like the idea of it, too. I am curious as to what happens. But it was an off-the-cuff idea.
    Perhaps someone else will run with it.

8. Yoav

Yoav Member

[Deleted]

9. Kata_Misashi

Kata_Misashi Active Member

The various regions of the world of 'Gaia' hold a multitude of beast-like tribes and cities; each with their own cultures and abilities. From the eastern-like foxes to the Norse-like bears and then some. Within the 'Tropic' region; home to the bird-like race known as 'avians', and organization known as the Avian Ranger Organization (or the A.R.O.) fight to protect their region from the various threats mostly brought on by special gems known as 'Horus Crystals'. But is everything as black and white as it seems?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Moridin

Moridin New Member

deleted...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  11. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

So your genre's light humour then? Could be a post watershed resurrection of Grange Hill
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075512/

12. Bookish_Introvert

Bookish_Introvert Member

A fourteen-year-old sociopath discovers she has the magical ability to manipulate darkness after her mother is sentenced to life in prison. Her new ability opens her eyes to a world of fantastic and terrifying creatures known as a fae who are visible only to those humans born with magical powers similar to her own. Using her new found powers, she becomes an anti-hero and goes on a killing spree in an attempt to hunt down the men that led her mother down the path to imprisonment. This leads to an entanglement with the Japanese yakuza, the local drug cartel they have been working with, and the godlike fae that serves as the harbinger of death and madness. In the midst of her investigation, she comes across a second teenage girl with the ability to move things with her mind. Unable to comprehend the sociopath's lack of empathy and morals, the telekinetic deems the two enemies, but eventually they are forced to work together to take out a force much larger and more dangerous than the yakuza.

The inspiration for this story is a combination of comic books, manga, mythology, and my own worst fears. It falls into the urban-fantasy genre.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

A convicted murderer seeking redemption through the defense of their country learns they are actually a brainwashed monster doing dirty work for fascist transhumans. They fight back... By becoming a mistrustful, ally-murdering, transhuman, 'super soldier'.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. JennaPeterson88

JennaPeterson88 Member

A species with proven reincarnation begins deep space exploration. No one knows if the souls of those who venture too far out into space will make it back if they die before they return. As such, only "new souls" (those with no memory of a past life) are trained for space travel, as they are viewed as expendable.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

A queen is buried alive by her inner circle on accusations of crimes against humanity (which may or may not be true). They place her in a tomb under a seal that erases her from memory and from written records. She escapes her tomb, but the seal is still in effect. When people meet her, they form short-term memories (long enough to have a conversation), but they eventually forget her.

Meanwhile, the country she used to rule is rapidly changing. It has lost much of its history, it is losing its national identity, and the leadership is in chaos. She works behind the scenes to influence the politics to keep the country from completely falling apart. She has to work in subtle ways, for example, by planting ideas in people's minds and by bringing tangible evidence of conspiracies out into the open.

The more she interacts with someone, the more familiar that person thinks she is the next time they meet. She takes this to mean she can break the seal by interacting with people enough and influencing their lives enough that they actually remember her. So she tries that with various people in increasingly creative (and sometimes desperate) ways. Her immediate goal is to stand trial (she never got one), but as time goes on, all she wants is to escape the extreme loneliness of not being remembered by anyone.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  16. Oscar Leigh

(slow cap) This sounds highly entertaining. :D

daemon likes this.
  17. Oscar Leigh

Isaiah Waters is (not) an unremarkable child. He ends up at a hotel. The owner and manager is a psychic. There's a demon there. And an Faerie lady. His guardian angel tries to get him to befriend this Greek dude. And it gets weirder. :D

18. ace.1991

ace.1991 Member

A team of 6 astronauts are sent to mars as the first stage of colonising the red planet. There, they face the harsh martian enviroment, the challenge of growing their on food and medicine, as well as living in a confining habitat, all over the course of a grueling 2 year mission.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Girl trying to rescue her parents (who are doctors) can't cure diseases that arise in her village and calls upon the aid of a boy who turns out to be King Arthur, he tries to help her but his destiny is pulling him in another way. The girl starts on a downward spiral of madness as people in her village start dying when she finds a way to rescue here parents. (It was a tonne more complicated and it has taken me a while to get rid of all the plot bunnies, still pruning the tree!)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. Bunny23

Bunny23 New Member

A rich woman is murdered, and it's disguised as a burglary gone wrong. Two clues are left at the crime scene: a piece of pink thread and a whiff of lady's perfume. However, the whole thing is a frame, set up by the murderer to remove two 'problems' from his/her life.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  21. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Four time travelers discover a military mad science laboratory and try to save the captive test subjects.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

A very old ghost of a romantic writer that tries everything to commit suicide just to move on but hasn't yet figure out how. A grim reaper society that demands vacations and protests in absence. A hippie jinni that wants free will. A serial killer that falls in love with a rehabilitated arsonist and tries to contain himself and turn a new page in the name of love. A teenage, deaf girl who wants to taste the world and leaves home in search of "The Truth". It's the summer of 69 and everything leads to Woodstock.

I have been thinking about this for about a decade and wrote some things here and there but for some reason I am kind of discouraged to go on with it. It's hard to find consistency in this one. Even the tone is whatever.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  23. PBrady

PBrady Active Member

I am not a great fan of vampire fiction, however I drunkenly pondered what it would be like to have that immortality. What would happen to a person who had become a vampire and lived 20,00 years? A million years? 10 million years? Perhaps beyond the time of the human species. To eventually witness the planet engulfed in the expansion of the Sun as it enters its death throes.
    I started writing that for a while to the point that I was coming up with that person's creator. Now I am right back at the beginning doodling the origins of the creator - a person who originates in 1620s Bermuda as the son of a Calvinist minister, through Puritan Boston and Harvard College, to civil war London where he is an alchemist who is sought out by John Dee (who 'died' several year before). Through various connections, developments and relocations across Europe he becomes part of the elite of vampires who control the socio-economic development of western civilisation.

Oscar Leigh and Malisky like this.
  24. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

PBrady, please do proceed with this story. It sounds very interesting. I also wondered about such matters. Vampire novels usually end up as romance stories when I think that there could be so much more to them. It's been ages since I read a decent one.

Sometimes drinking is a good thing. :D

25. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

So my four books. The first three are finished, the fourth one I'm still kinda getting a handle on but I know where it's going so what the hell...

Number 1:

Melissa is a junkie. She has a home and a job in marketing but still a junkie, and absolutely circling the drain. She spends her whole life lying, both professionally and to stop people finding out what she really does in her free time. But suddenly there is a critical bi-election in town and her cynically dispassionate manipulation becomes very useful. During an involuntary stint in rehab she meets a man who offers to trade her vote for heroin, on prescription for as long as she wants. She laughs at him and instead he offers her a job changing the electorate's minds; a chance to escape her life. But as she starts to work in politics she realizes that she's not the only addict. There five candidates, dozens of staff, hundreds of volunteers and millions of pounds being spent in a fight over one dose of the most addictive drug of all; power.

Number 2:

A cult leader dies leaving his church in the charge of his fifteen year old son Elijah. He's never been educated, had a friend or seen a world outside the church building. He was brought up by Judith, one of his father's follower and she's the only person he's ever even been close to. We see him grow up some and he steers the church to become more of a real religion instead of a cynical money maker. But he's lonely and unfulfilled and he's a growing lad who wants to fall in love and it just seems the most natural thing in the world when he falls for his adoptive mother. And she's kinda into it.

=Edit to add= Although not strictly speaking part of this book I'd like to share that when they eventually have sex in the sequel she talks to him like he's eight years old and that is by far the most enjoyable writing I've ever done in my life. Walking the razors edge of hot and creepy is just awesome. That's what I want to do with everything. Ambiguous, uncomfortable, ambivalent things with complex layers of fucked up that challenges the reader to figure out if they are ok with seeing it. =End edit=

Number 3:

Beth is fifteen and she has cancer. It turns out there's upsides to having a fatal disease. Cancer just makes her so interesting. Suddenly everything she says is inspirational. Soon she's a rising Youtube star, with fans across the world donating to help her fight with cancer. Except she doesn't actually have cancer. It's all a lie. And living it every single day is killing her; lying to everyone she cares about, sticking herself with needles to get procedure marks and keeping it all straight. All she wants is out but her blog and her youtube are the only thing paying the mortgage. And then someone at school figures out that she's been lying.

And finally...

Tess is a singer; a talented one. She just won her school talent show and she's looking for another one. She likes winning. That's half the fun. More than half maybe. And eventually she comes across something she can compete it. It has a talent portion anyway; it just happens to be a national beauty pageant. But she can take them to the cleaners, right? She storms in expecting it to be a push over but finds a different world full of horrifically pushy mothers and cut-throat girls who'll cheat and lie on the way to the crown. But that's just on the stage. Behind the scenes her fellow competitors are lonely, cowed, medicated babies who spend their whole live on the road with no other friends except each other. They can cry together or go cry by themselves. There's no way out of their lives. Except winning. Winning makes it all worthwhile.

Anyone think I can sell any of these as dark YA novels btw? I am willing to negotiate on the really explicit bits of drugs/sex/self-harm. I'm dead serious about that. I think teenagers should read my stuff.

I am also available for children's parties.

Why do I write teenagers a lot by the way? That's an interesting question, I'm glad I asked.

I kinda slipped into it. In one of the sequels of the top one they run into a girl who reminds Liss of herself and writing her was interesting to me and I liked it so much I didn't want to stop. Same way I ended up writing these really intense, passionate without-you-I-have-nothing romances into everything I do. They're all lonely, damaged, scarred people because I accidentally got my first two characters together and loved writing their relationship.

But in a more literary sense I think teenagers are good characters both in my stuff and in general. Because everyone is a teenager anyway, just with better shoes. And teenagers are enjoyably ambiguous as characters. We'll forgive them for being imperfect and short sighted and just plain mean sometimes. Because they're kids. They're trying stuff out, feeling lots of things for the first time and they don't always know how to handle it. That's something we all sympathize with. But they are constantly surprising too; being smart and compassionate and even a bit naive too. Their initial lack of cynicism makes them good vehicles for the kind of story I'm telling. And they don't lose hope. They're young and want the world to be a nicer place than I write it to be. The story knocks the edges off them and gives them a more adult outlook without just maiming them. They go through hell but they all retain the hope for having a happy (if weird) life. It might not sound like it, but to me at least there's a genuinely positive message in all my stuff. It doesn't matter how damaged you are, you can find happiness.

Additional edit -

You wanna read my stuff? PM me!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016