1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Anyone Else Here Likes Poetry?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Jan 29, 2012.

If so which type?
    and
    do you like writing poetry?

I like free verse free flow without too much give way.
    I like complex with a bit of intrigue but not a story type of poetry.

2. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I'm very picky about poetry. The only two poets I consistently enjoy would be Emily Dickinson and Wordsworth, though Dickinson in large doses makes me feel suicidal. My favorite poem is "I wandered lonely as a cloud/Daffodils" by Wordsworth.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

My favourite poets are: Philip Larken, Edgar Allen Poe, Keats, Coleridge, John Milton, Virgil, Dante Aligheri, & Thomas Hardy.

Of them I honestly can't pick a favourite. They are all great. But to pick a favourite poem of them it would have to be a tie between The Comedy, Paradise Lost and Vita Novua. Dante Alighieri has a special place in my heart I suppose.

My favourite type of poetry is maybe Epic Poetry. I just find it more enjoyable and more interesting despite, or even because because of it being somewhat archaic.

4. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I studied Philip Larken briefly at universtiy and I did find him extremely depressive.
    We were made toi listen ot his recorded peotry. I did switch off it was so bad/depressive.
    Do you have a favourite piece?

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Emily Dickinson?
    why does she make feel suicidal?
    do you have one in mind?

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a fairly full time poet myself and have too many favorites to list... among them are [in no particular order]:
    poe
    angelou
    service
    hughes
    blake
    khayyam
    dickinson
    whitman
    wordsworth
    maia [have to be honest!]

favorite poem:

it's my favorite both for its verbal beauty and the fact that it states my own personal philosophy and opinion of the human race so perfectly...

7. LaGs

LaGs Banned

Anything by William Blake really

8. jc.

jc. Member

I love Edgar Allan Poe's works. I don't read or write a lot of poetry, but for some reason all of it is usually kind of dark.

9. Pea

Pea super pea!

10. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I've never got into reading poetry after I left school, although I enjoyed it while I was there. I do really like the Philip Larkin poems I've read, since I read the Andrew Motion biography about him I've read some of his poems and I love his style, especially this part of For Sidney Bechet:

I just love that, it's so plainly said but beautiful, and happy and sad at the same time (haha, you can tell I'm no poetry enthusiast, what an analysis :p).

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I enjoy poetry. My favorite poet, bar none, is Robinson Jeffers. I guess I used to think of poetry as little mewling whines written by small whiny people until I read Jeffers. Jeffers is not small, he's huge. He wrote like he was 500 feet tall, thundering over the California mountains. He wrote a lot of narrative poetry, but other than "Roan Stallion", I'm not a big fan of it. But his shorter work, his lyrics, are astonishing. I love his poems "Night", "Continent's End", "Hurt Hawks", "Shine, Perishing Republic", "To the Stone Cutters", and many others. He's hard, intransigent, clear-eyed and brutal at times, and very, very powerful.

Other than Jeffers, my favorites are William Blake ("The Little Vagabond" FTW!), Walt Whitman, William Butler Yeats, and I suppose I have to leave room for Tennyson. I've also recently discovered a guy named Rodney Jones, who is sometimes interesting. And I have to make room for Allen Ginsberg, too - "Howl" is amazing.

T.S. Eliot is in there too, and, of course, the classics of Homer and Dante. And Shakespeare.

12. Amphigory

Amphigory New Member

I don't read quite as much poetry as I'd like, but I'm very fond of Robert Frost, Poe, T.S. Eliot and William Carlos Williams.

I have to be in a very particular mood to read poems, though, and novels are the things I automatically reach for when I'm going to read.

13. Berber

Berber Active Member

I have always had a certain affection for prose poetry, especially the early French writers such as Baudelaire and Mallarme. Paris Spleen is one of my favorite collections of all time. But, I also enjoy more modern authors such as Lyn Hejinian and her autobiographical work My Life.

14. Skykitty

Skykitty New Member

I'm not really a poetry person myself, but there is a book called 'Please Mrs Butler' by Allan Ahlberg I must recommend. It's poetry for children, I remembered it from when I was a kid and bought a copy for our 6 year old godson who LOVES it. Fantastic for getting children into liking poetry because they are all funny poems about situations kids can really identify with.

15. Amphigory

Amphigory New Member

Well, for that matter, I don't think it's possible to overstate my love for Dr Seuss. Does that count? : P

16. Cacian

Cacian Banned

yes it counts.
    I have read Dr Seuss billions of times,which is your favourite?
    Oh I am not aware William Carlos William.
    do you have a piece in mind youlike best of him just to see.:)
    by the way
    where is your avatar from and what does Amphigory mean?

17. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I never found Larken all that depressing. Maybe darker, and sadder than the usual.
    He's actually rather funny, especially with This Be the Verse.
    My favourite has got to be: Born Yesterday.
    It fits into my philosophy very well, and can be funny, sad, or hopeful; depending on how you read it, and in what mindset.

18. Amphigory

Amphigory New Member

All of them! :D It's really hard to decide, with Seuss. Though I've always loved the book about the bread and butter battles...

There's this one, which is pretty much a classic:

Quite a lovely, simple thing, I think.

It's from the movie Up, which I love to pieces. :D And an amphigory is basically a nonsensical poem — intentionally or unintentionally. ;)