Your story, through Google Translate...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stormsong07, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    That gal has a lot of face to work with. :superlaugh:

2. raine_d

raine_d Active Member

Okay. Translating to Chinese and back again, I got

He fell back and forth in some, oddly scared, scared. The shape of a dog shaped like a spider shook his axis on his feet, on that horrible stricken smile, he started walking and moving for the corridor. It sat on Daniel, who was sitting in a half-covered door in the wandering, fighting with a little spider, and used to have a little more boy. Then people closed their horrible white face and looked at them, all those hated, white faces, who were empty holes for black eyes. The greatest of them all made a delicate step on Daniel's feet and became angry against him. And waving them on turtles

I have not the faintest where the turtle came in....

3. raine_d

raine_d Active Member

There is something oddly portentous about this...:ohno:

4. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

From an earlier version of my current WIP, run through Icelandic because that's the point of view character's native language...

"Turn around."
    Ragnar turned slowly and held the soap box firmly at his chest. Joel had crept up after him, armed with a bow. Ragnar was less shocked by the fact that the weapons pointed to him than the fact that Joel was the one who followed him. Even if they never saw the eye in sight, the arrow completely ran on his chest still as a fraud.
    "You should probably aim for it," said Ragnar. "I'm pretty sure you will not be able to shoot me through the box, and I'm not going to put it down."

And the original:

“Turn around.”

Ragnar turned around slowly, keeping the soap box tight against his chest. Joel had crept up behind him, armed with bow. Ragnar was less shocked by the weapon being pointed at him than the fact that Joel was the one behind it. Even though they had never seen eye to eye, the arrow levelled squarely at his chest still felt like a betrayal.

“You should probably be aiming that at my head,” Ragnar told him. “I’m pretty sure you won’t be able to shoot me through the box, and I’m not going to put it down.”

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  5. hirundine

And another snippet from the same scene, again run through Icelandic:

Ragnar turned around, and it seems that he was considering running for the door at the end of the hallway behind him. Joel moved with him and turned to the door, ready to take him out as soon as he did. Ragnar kept his eyes focused on his opponent, but he could still see the little, lightning image that ended up behind Joel with something that looked like heavy wooden hats were in her hands.
    "Are you listening to me? I've got an army!"
    "I have Emily," said Ragnar, as she swung a hat on Joel's head.

And the original:

Ragnar edged around, making it appear as if he was considering making a run for the door at the end of the aisle behind him. Joel moved with him, facing the door, ready to take him out as soon as he did. Ragnar kept his eyes focused on his opponent, but he could still see the small, blonde figure sneaking up behind Joel with something that looked like a heavy wooden hat stand in her hands.

“Are you listening to me? I’ve got an army!”

“I’ve got an Emily,” Ragnar said, just as she swung the hat stand at Joel’s head.

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Those are pretty unchanged, but remember:

We just want the gibberish :)

Stormsong07 likes this.
  7. Len Downing

Len Downing New Member

The shape of a dog shaped like a spider...

That sounds like an acid trip.

8. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I translated from English -> German -> back again to English. The German itself was laughable (I'm a native speaker of German), but sadly the translation back to English was pretty good. I'm disappointed. Only a few grammar errors.

The only thing which cracked me up was 'Hayes just grunted and shot the laptop up' :rofl: in the original he 'fired the laptop up'.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Iain Aschendale likes this.
  9. hirundine

English to Icelandic and back again:

"Back to home, we are used to volcanoes. We have so many people when one of them goes away, we go to another, and we just have to go on with our lives. But it's going to be bad. are not going to know what hit them. Even in safe distance, they are not going to know what hit them. People are going to die. And there will not be anything we can do to help them. "

10. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Through Japanese:

I was still sitting, but the train left me. A lump of color was dancing behind my eyelids, red, orange, pink, and pure gold. They swirled around me like a hurricane and heard a sharp noise in my ear as if it was moving very fast. I have noticed that I am not sitting anymore. Just like me, a strange noise commenced from behind me. It is so quiet that I can not distinguish between voices. I was able to come up with enough to know that it is not English. It was not long, just about 1 minute, and I fell down through the deep, dark abyss that the color had gone, until I landed and gently placed on my feet by invisible power. A long black tunnel was spreading in front of me, and the shining light shone at the end. And I was running toward it, my shoes became heavy, walking slowed down, the roar of the train was heard again.

No gems in this one... :(

11. 20oz

20oz Active Member

Lol. I got a chuckle out of this. Polish:

I went to the garden, smoking a cigarette, as if I was in an art gallery, exploring aesthetic sculptures. The tool that I built over the years seemed to be destroyed and dead. A snowman who had Reese's smile, a blue pencil instead of a nose instead of a traditional carrot, and a pink polyester hat seemed to be a whisper for a long lost secret. Further away, outside the shed and snow, lay a tree on a thick elm tree, skeletal branches rising from its roof, thrown on the sloppy sky.

12. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Wow, this is fucked up.

Original:

Dust eddied thoughtlessly through the rocks and swards of desert grass, the wind calm now but the Malawi knew not to trust it. It might coo one moment or holler the next. Or it might fall into an eerie recumbence that confused everyone. Santino had seen shrubs burn like brittle effigies when this happened, and birds drop dead from the sky like peasants mourning their only sovereign.

Chinese:

Dust through the desert grassland of the rocks and deserts ruthlessly, now the wind calm, but Malawi knows do not trust. It may be for a while or the next one. Or that could be unbelievable and unbelievable. When such things happen, Santino saw the shrubs burning like a fragile statue, mourning their only sovereign like a farmer, and the bird fell from the sky.

Far out, man...

Mckk likes this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I assure you, there were no cocks, ragged or otherwise, in the original version of this scene translated through Japanese and back:

Lifeline likes this.
  14. hirundine

From an older story I found when I was procrastinating looking through the family dropbox... run through Scottish Gaelic since one of my mum's grandparents only spoke that language:

Then, the falcon lifted him up and got his feet. He took a step forward. Daniel stood there in the jaws of the road with his heart frozen in the neck. The falcon was alive. The fish was moving.
    The chip was alive and it was coming.
    He could not move. The falcon was alive and coming and it could not move.
    It was coming closer, step by step. He sees the mold warming over the meat that was dying. He sees that the vampire teeth have been hardened to needles ready to be thrown into pieces and expected that the falcon seemed to be the Trashcan Trash that was fastening rapidly through its head and then has disappeared for many years. Each individual green hair stood in sharp relief.
    Ducked porky hand closed at her ban.
    His muscles opened and he caught hold of the arm, thrown away and broken at the head of the strange creature. Half of the pumpag was dropped and jumped back, waiting for the rest of the creature to go down on the ground. It was not just moved for a minute before going on again.
    This time, Daniel did not resist.
    He threw his arm at the end of the head and ran.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  15. hirundine

And from the same one, again through Scots Gaelic:

Initially, Andrew could not believe what he was seeing. He had been walking the roof so many hours that was nothing new-capable. This crystal skull could not shake arms and pull it out of the hard stone. It was impossible.
    But deep inside the cave, lines and lines were now doing the same, pulling out the rock as pesticides.
    For an extra minute, Andy was looking into a terrible horror.
    The first was a step for him, crystal bones hit and hear like a spark.
    Andrew left his legs and was put in to the race that he had ever been faster. Roots closed around the ankle and collapsed, pulling out the breath. He heard thousands of crystals now.
    And he could not move.
    He tried to pull his back out of the jail. The roots were tight around it. His leg started to swiftly go. He would hunt around a sharp stone or something to cut off the roots. She grew up, sings crying over the bending, and cleansed to the bone as it ever pulled closer.
    Her fingers looked around something sharp. He took them away, spreading sliced velvet on the leaf's rubbish. It was only refurbished, and it took it again immediately, this time more precisely. He looked at what was in his hand. It seemed like a headhead, shaken from a watercolor crystal with clear diamonds breaking from the problems sunbathing was dying. Andrew was erased; this was done from crystals, like the skull, which was cold and non-human, something wrong. He threw it away and put it out. His hands were unfortunately unfitting in the spoil of the damaging, rudling and dead cloth dying leaf beneath his nails. He broke out with his moving leg, struggling hard.
    The forest was swept away by the winter.
    Andy's turn was free.
    For a minute he was still. The pipers put their feet in and let them go, not to understand what they were. Then, he put something frozen and flattened with calf, putting something cold up his back. His brain thought his leg was free.
    He broke himself from the glass jugs and was injured into the wood.

16. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Original English:

Jaeden sipped his drink while Nick and Corey went back to their game. Their good-natured trash talk and the hum of the bus began to relax his lingering post-show tension, and by the time he finished the bottle he was more than ready for a good night's sleep. Not as good as he'd have gotten if Connor was with him, but restful all the same. After saying goodnight Jaeden went back to his bunk and stripped down to his underwear before slipping under the covers. He looked at his phone to check for any missed texts, but there were none. Jaeden gently ran his thumb over the background picture of Connor on the screen and smiled. Nick was right, he had it bad; but luckily having it bad had never felt so good.

Translated into Basque, then back into English:

Jaeden drank her drink while Nick and Corey were playing again. Their trash and rumors of the bus began to calm down their tense post-vision and after the bottle, a good night was ready to sleep. It was not as good as it was that Connor was with him, but rather grief. After turning around in the night, he turned back to his box and slipped under his underwear before slipping under the covers. He looked at his device to look for missed texts, but there was none. The descent slowed slowly on Connor's screen and smiled. Nick was right, he was bad; but sadly it was never felt so good.

"the descent slowed slowly" and "slipped under his underwear" are my favorite parts :D

17. FeigningSarcasm

FeigningSarcasm Active Member

Through Czech and back again. A good 50% of these words are not in the original.

Lazarus chased the vampire through the dusk. Humanoid was away from his element, broke and buzzed when he came across the forest. His pale arm was detained in front of his face to defend himself in the hunting branches, leaving his fragile skin torn and bleeding. His black eyes were wide and his breaths escaped in jerky seizures. The strip of horror was rolling out of her.

18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I hate it when that ol' strip of horror rolls out...

MythMachine and FeigningSarcasm like this.
  19. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Why are everyone else's so much better than mine? I deliberately picked a dream sequence to get some weird imagery, but no! :)

20. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Try some different languages?

21. MythMachine

MythMachine Active Member

Just want to say, this thread is brilliant. My eyes have been opened to a new world because of the translations in this thread.

Here's a translation, to Mongolian and back, of a snippet from my short horror story "Slivers of Fear":

I did not run back. I could not move. It's a sharp shock. My hidden head was long and weak in my shoulder. Within a few seconds, my hands, percussion, muscles, and bones, which had been around me, had appeared on the body like the live iron. I plotted, stiffened, threw my throat, trying not to breathe. I soon realized that this was the last last of my chest, and I was treated with the salutations of the teleat that I was not prepared for.

The last sentence is particularly awesome. It wasn't simply 'the last of my chest'. It was 'the last last of my chest'. And can someone explain to me what a teleat is? Not knowing what it means is a sharp shock to my hidden head...

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  22. hirundine

Try running it through Scots Gaelic - that one mangles everything.

23. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I used to do this a lot in school (for a laugh with friends, never for actual school work) in 7th or 8th grade. From our extensive testing back then, we concluded that japanese was best for fast and hilarious results (although, translation technology has probably improved a lot since then). Anyway, here are excerpts from two of my stories run through japanese:

24. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Blog post through Japanese.

Lots of extra repetitions :

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Robert Musil and MythMachine like this.
  25. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Ah, pure poetry. *sobs with da beauty of it all*