1. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Talking of writing magazines ...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by cutecat22, Sep 4, 2014.

Anyone know where I can get one? (a magazine about writing).

I've looked in every newsagent/supermarket/mag selling shop I can think of. I can find everything from true crime and Pepper Pig to bodybuilding and tractor maintenance (wtf!!??) but I cannot find one on writing ...

Would I have to subscribe to one and get it posted?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Are you looking for something like Writer's Digest?

3. cutecat22

I'm not actually sure :meh: as I've never read a writing magazine before. I mean, I'm sure there's something that, I don't know, discusses the latest grammar changes, which publishers are looking for submissions, tips and tricks of writing poetry, how to snare a reader, what to do when it all goes horribly wrong, how to deal with a cyber stalker ...

Actually, we discuss most of that here!

:)

4. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    ^^ That's pretty much Writer's Digest. They're actually the only one I subscribe to at the moment and very up-to-date. They have old issues for sale also that I often browse and buy from a few times a year...like the specialty editions highlighting markets/genres/publishers/etc.

cutecat22 likes this.
  5. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

It's called 'Writing,' it's in WHSmiths :)

6. cutecat22

Not my local WHSmiths ...

But I will ask them next time I go in.

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Like sunsplash said, Writer's Digest includes a lot of what you mentioned. If you want something more specific to poetry, try Poets & Writers. I don't think either of those talk about dealing with cyber stalkers, though. You'll have to learn to deal with that on your own. :p

8. cutecat22

LOL! I haven't actually got a cyber stalker (unless you count a friend of mine who keeps messaging me to say "write quicker".

I just wasn't sure what kind of articles would be in there.

9. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Senior Member

Maybe you should create one to increase your profile?

cutecat22 likes this.
  10. cutecat22

That is something I definitely do not have time for! :-D

11. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

Adding a bit more detail ... WHSmiths have 2 writing mags. One is called Writing Forum, the other Writing Magazine.
    Of the two, for my money, Writing Magazine is the better. Apart from the themed writing competitions, they have a great section on current writing markets, invaluable writing advice as well as the usual features on how other writers got into publishing. With self publishing being the big thang, there's plenty advice on that too.
    Recently, I've been impressed enough to subscribe to it and you get a free copy of the Writers and Artists Yearbook too ... Which is nice. ;)

cutecat22 likes this.
  12. cutecat22

I will look into that one, thanks.

13. cutecat22

@FrankieWuh

Found both mags in my local WHSmith's today. :-D

14. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

Good to hear! Let me know what you think ...

cutecat22 likes this.
  15. cutecat22

Well ... I picked up Writers' Forum first. I'm only flicking through at the moment but I've already found a chunk of misinformation regarding Createspace. But I have just come across a section titled "Reading Aloud" which is quite interesting ...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  16. cutecat22

OK, so, I've emailed someone at the Writers' Forum magazine because of the error in their piece about createspace and I've emailed the letters page of Writing Magazine refuting another person's view that all self-publishers only self-publish because they have been rejected by traditional publishers and should stop self-publishing because, and I quote, "There is a reason you have been turned down. You are not good enough yet: find yourself a writing group, a writing buddy, some self-help books ..." etc.

That just stoked my fire enough to put fingers on keys.

I'm beginning to see why I never bought these magazines in the past, for the same reason I don't buy 'How To Write' books.

17. cutecat22

And then there are the adverts offering me affordable self-publishing for only £795.00

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I do apologise but if I had £795 to spend on my book, I would not give it to a publishing company to self-publish my book. Especially when I've done it all my self for less than £50.00

I really feel like they [the advertisers] are preying on people desperate for success at any cost. I guess it happens in all walks of life but I personally find it awful. Or maybe I'm just a stubborn little cow. That's probably more likely to be right!

18. Michaelson345

Michaelson345 New Member

Magazine writing is quite interesting, but it demands lots of knowledge, creativity and ability to make your topics spicy. People like to read interesting and spicy news.

cutecat22 likes this.
  19. cutecat22

I agree, but if the writers are dealing with factual information, they need to make sure that their facts are correct.

20. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

Yeah, the predatory adverts are just a little annoying - the one that annoys me the most being GP Taylor's, I guess because he's been traditionally published so he should know better, have that empathy etc. lol.
    But then we're not immune to predatory advertising even here, with those annoying banner adverts that make it bloody annoying to navigate around the forum on a mobile device! Grrrr....

21. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I subscribe to the American publication 'Writer's Digest' online. It's an easy way to get the magazine, especially if you live overseas, like I do. It does cover lots of writing topics, and does author interviews, has sections about agents, and LOTS of advertising. I find some of it useful, although the emphasis is definitely on sell-sell-sell. I think if you're looking to improve your writing rather than sell your writing, there are books out there that might be more helpful. But all the same Writer's Digest is worth a look, and many good how-to books are published by their imprint.

Maybe see if you can get yourself a 3-month overseas subscription online, or something like that, if you can't find a printed edition. However, libraries often carry this magazine.

@matwoolf's suggestion of 'Writing,' is good if you live in the UK.

22. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

Yeah, that's some pretty bad advice. It's the kind of the advice that has come from someone stuck in the publishing world of the 80's where self-publishing meant vanity press. Unfortunately some of the views expressed in WM are from old school heads, though to be fair there are more forward thinkers emerging and they are looking more and more into self-publishing being a good alternative to trad publishing.
    And there is of course Grumpy Old Bookman who is always worth a read IMHO.

I tend to get it for the writing markets in Writers News section, and some of the features have had me thinking even if the opinions at times are a little archaic.

cutecat22 likes this.
  23. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I have been crying because she ignored me.

'Writing Magazine' has a competition special - with competitions listed this month. It gives you a boost with your targets. If you write with sincerity, your rhythm's right then there's always a chance for 200 quid.

Hey, today I got a personalised rejection from Surfer's Journal :( - so I re-drafted and posted to a little mag who don't pay, such is our lot.

cutecat22 likes this.
  24. cutecat22

GP TAYLOR!!! LOL his add was the one I was referring to!

25. cutecat22

Yep, I got the mag with the extra bit listing all the comps. Thinking of entering one, thinking ...