Your Top 10 Films of All-Time

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by OmniTense, Nov 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Terrible movie? That's what a puny Earthling would say. Get me the bore worms!

Flash Gordon is awesome. I even made an alternate ending video for Flash Gordon where I mashed up Flash with another of my favorite sources of entertainment (which I won't name).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Bakkerbaard likes this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Not real violence, and this was a series of clips from news footage of (maybe) the LA riots. Not sure of my dates there. I know it happens - and far worse than these clips were showing - but I have to shut it out for the sake of my own mental health. I don’t know anyone else who’s affected by the sight of violence to the degree I am, nor do I know why I’m so affected. Sheltered upbringing, maybe. Guys at work think it’s funny watching ‘death’ videos on their phone, and always ask if I want to watch it. It angers me so much I feel like punching them to the ground and stamping on their head until it looks like a melon dropped from 100 feet.

No, I don’t like violence.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

in high school, it was on the news that a boy got beaten to death in a school fight.
    me being the curious teen in the age of Youtube, found the cellphone footage.... they took a wooden plank and literally beat him to death in front of the school.
    I cried and had nightmares.
    i cant watch stuff like that anymore...

4. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

Oddly, I don't even remember the clips in Robocop. I should rewatch it sometime.

But I can understand not wanting to see any of it. I blame age/experience. I used to go "Woah, look at that guy's head explode. World War 2 was brutal, man!", but these days I see the opening to Saving Private Ryan and I just tense up. I've never been shot at on a beach in Normandy, but the older I get, the easier it is to imagine the hell people went through in any given situation.

And then there's the other end of the spectrum. Lightsabering some hapless space-muppet to ribbons is still awesome. I don't thin about his space-muppet wife and kids for a second.

Yes, but a mighty graphics operator such as I sees the frayed edges of the hawkmen cutouts.
    Still, it's terrible in the same way as Sharknado. You know what you're in for when you put it on, and you're gonna love it.

OurJud and B.E. Nugent like this.
  5. OurJud

I’m fine with film violence, because I know no one is genuinely suffering.

6. Bakkerbaard

Yeah, it's weird. I generally don't care much for 'humans', but sometimes in a movie I'll see something so... intense, I'll feel something.

Biggest surprise I got was with the most recent Rambo. Where the girl gets nabbed by sex traffickers. The horror that girl must have felt, you know?
    Oddly, I had less feelings about Taken. Maybe I just have more faith in Liam Neeson than Sly Stallone.

7. OurJud

But that’s precisely my point. She didn’t feel any horrors - she was acting in a film.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  8. Bakkerbaard

Yeah, I got your point. I was clumsily trying to say I have kind of the opposite.
    I'm a bit of a mysanthrope, but that doesn't extend to movie characters for some reason. You know who is good, who is innocent, and who is the bad guy. In my job I see a lot of clips of "innocent people" seemingly getting slapped around by the police, because that gets more viewers than showing the whole clip where the innocent person is actively provoking said police officer. I'm not talking about the serious cases like George Floyd, and I'm most unqualified to comment on that, but in a lot of the Dutch cases it's more like "well, you kinda deserved it, dipshit."
    Not the Rambo-girl. She was actually innocent.

Anyway, we've arrived at police brutality because I don't remember those clips in Robocop you spoke of. We've come full circle, I'd say, and I'm gonna watch it later tonight.

Edit: Oh, those clips.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    OurJud and Xoic like this.
  9. OurJud

Well, how a person can feel empathy for an actor and pretend violence, but not for real people experiencing real violence, is a bit baffling to me, but hey-ho.

10. Bakkerbaard

It's not something I like to flaunt, I do confess.
    But it's mainly because real people are never just black or white, and I've seen more than enough cases of people trying to get attention by pretending to be the wronged, when digging just below the surface reveals a different story.
    Pretend-people don't have anything beyond the surface, usually. It's pretty clear what I'm supposed to feel about them.
    Now, going back to that Rambo-girl example again: It's not exactly her I feel for, but by extent the actual real life girls who suffered that actual real life fate, so I guess my misanthropy doubles as hypocrisy.

Actually, now that I took a moment to think about it, I'm not entirely without empathy. I worked on another talkshow today where we had a guy on who lost his daughter because some asshat thought answering his Whatsapp messages while driving 50mph was very important.
    One one end, I feel sad for the father. One the other end, well... I do have very strong feelings towards the driver, yes. This thread is just not the place to detail them, but they could be in the RoboCop newsreel.

11. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

I don't know why people think this. It's far better than Star Wars.

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  12. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Far better? I don’t really have a favorite but I think it’s pretty close between the two.

13. OurJud

I bought the original trilogy a few years ago because it was one of those landmark series I’d never seen. I enjoyed the first but the second two surprised me with their... cheapness.

Xoic likes this.
  14. NigeTheHat

Far better. Better writing, better direction, better effects, better story. Some of that comes from it having the foundation of the first two to build on whereas Star Wars was just diving in, but that doesn't stop the end result being a more accomplished, enjoyable film. The only advantage Star Wars really has is involving a fascist Peter Cushing.

15. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Return of the Jedi = The Muppets Take Star Wars.

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  16. NigeTheHat

If you're suggesting the Muppets don't improve everything they touch then I don't honestly think there's any way to help you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I think the "cabin fever" song from Muppet Treasure Island almost single-handedly got our family through the worst of the COVID lockdowns.

18. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    I love how I am not really seeing any, "Look How Sophisticated I Am" lists. They're all actual favorite movie lists, and I see some of my own titles mentioned that I wouldn't have expected to be named. My list will include movies that I never get tired of watching, and some that blew my mind just a little. I have one all-time favorite, and then the rest are in no particular order:

1. The Fifth Element

The Rest:

Snatch
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Pulp Fiction
    Happy Gilmore
    Goodfellas
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Star Trek: First Contact
    Blade Runner
    The Matrix

OurJud and Seven Crowns like this.
  19. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I guess other people’s lists always seems so interesting.

20. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Comrade! :superagree:

OurJud and Set2Stun like this.
  21. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

It's just the perfect action comedy in a neat science fiction setting. It doesn't try to be too smart, knows what it is, and just hits all the right notes. There is beauty in simplicity. I can understand the "there's a bit too much Ruby Rhod" argument, but I think it's just the right amount. I've watched it more than 20 times and will never tire of it!

22. Catriona Grace

No idea how many times I've watched it since I originally saw it at the theater in 1997. It was one of the only movies I ever paid to see more than once and was the first dvd movie I ever bought. I watch it at least a couple of times a year, and given it has been out for two and a half decades... do the math. ;) The only one I've watched nearly as often is Casablanca.

Set2Stun likes this.
  23. OurJud

I always find compiling a favourite films list difficult, cos it’s not until you see other’s choices that you begin to ask why some of them weren’t in your own list.

Pulp Fiction, Blade Runner... why didn’t I list them?

Or maybe I did and I forgot. It’s been a while now.

24. Set2Stun

Holy smokes, I never thought I would run into anyone who was a bigger fan of this flick than myself! I only do a rewatch every year or two. I'll probably get the 4K Blu Ray whenever I can finally get my hands on a PS5 (no sense buying a separate player).

I like Casablanca as well, but only watched it three times. I do sometimes get on a 40s/50s noir kick and watch some Bogie and/or Lauren Bacall movies.

25. Catriona Grace

I'm not a big movie fan, but the ones I like, I really like. I also like The Aviator and intended to watch it again recently, but the case was empty. Must've flown away.

Set2Stun likes this.