Your Username

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nervous1st, Apr 15, 2009.

1. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

Wow. Talk about an old thread. I think somewhere on here I actually answered this question, but, oh well.

Back when I was about, oh, thirteen, I came across an RPG called ReQuiem vicTus; a HP AU spin-off board. At the time, I ran with the name Ryoko Kiribayashi, a combination of two of my favorite manga characters of the moment.

When Ryoko had been exhausted, my second character, Lilix Morgan, came into play. She pretty much was myself placed into all those RPGs I've ever played in as her. That's typically the name I use, but sometimes I go to my third favorite female character I've concocted; Kelly Haven.

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Trilby - a novel by George de Maurier.

I've never read the novel, (one day I'll get around to it) but when I was very young I saw a film based on the novel of the same name. It is the story of Svengali an evil hypnotist whom has Trilby in his power.
    Possibly because I was so young the film had a great impact on me. I was greatly moved by Trilby's plight.
    I've loved name ever since, so much so I was going to call my first daughter Trilby. Well it was a toss between Trilby or Georgette after my father George.
    My Scottish in-laws were appalled by the name Trilby apparently they associate the name with loose women and cheeky children. My sister-in-law came to the hospital and the first thing she said to me was 'A trilby is a hat and georgette is a piece of material.' Well I am obstinate but being that I was living in Scotland at that time I thought twice about Trilby because of the loose women tag associated with the name so Georgette it is.
    Before any Scots people answer this post, apart from my in-laws and a few of their friends it does not seem to be a widely held view in Scotland. I wonder was 'there a method in their madness'? Mmm! ponder, ponder, ponder...

3. cmcpress

cmcpress New Member

Well my username explanation is really quite boring compared to all yours.

About 8 years ago i used to run a club night with some friends called "Celebrity Murder Party" - so cmcpress means Celebrity Murder Club Press - it was the name i signed up to my first internet forum (Get your bootleg on - a mashup forum) and it's kind of stuck.

4. ElvenSorceress

ElvenSorceress New Member

I am an avid reader of fantasy novels and elves and sorceresses have always been my favorite type of race. So it only made sence to combine my favorite aspects of fantasy on a writing forum.

5. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t New Member

My actual name in reverse with hyphens between the letters, because it's the closest thing to my name that wasn't taken.

6. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Nice idea, Tanner :D

Okay - mine is Tayleea91. Taylee is a nickname my dad calls me but my real name is Taylor. The "a" in it stands for my last name which you guys don't neccessarily need to know :D And 91? That's the year I was born.

7. write_star

write_star New Member

I used to write on this site under a different name (writingwizard maybe?), but have sense forgotten it. When I rejoined the site a year later I decided to create a new start with a different name. write_star. I don't consider myself a star in my writing, but I like writing and like stars, so it seemed to be a good combination.

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I call myself Link because I play The Legend of Zelda. The second two words are obvious. :3

9. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté New Member

Noya Desherbanté is an anagram of my real full name... I always use an anagram website to make up pseudonyms.
    One day I put it into Google and it offered a translation, from French. For some reason it seemed to think that 'noya' meant 'drowned' and 'desherbante' meant 'weeded' or 'herbicidal'. So, in my mind it became 'drowned whilst weeding', a fascinating obituary, and I put the little accent over the E to make it more French... also I love the two-sidedness of No/Ya, and I live very close to a town I love called Sherborne, so D'Sherban-te took on another meaning.

I guess we were just meant to be. :) Unfortunately I haven't let her become more famous yet, as I don't write anything that suits Noya Desherbanté that can't be attributed to my real name. :( One day, though...

10. TokyoVigilante

TokyoVigilante New Member

Tokyo Vigilante is the name of a song I liked in my youth (when I had questionable taste in music). I've adapted it as my consistent internet moniker because it fairly represents my interests in Ultraman/Kamen Rider/Godzilla/and comic books without having to resort to just naming myself after a Kaiju.

11. ihatefish

ihatefish New Member

I simple just don't like eating fish.
    Or touching them.
    Hence, ihatefish.

12. Johnny English

Johnny English New Member

some of my friends saying i'm look a like

13. lovely

lovely New Member

When things aren't going well I tend to say a sarcastic, "Lovely." It was a name I had on another forum that was particularly fitting given what that forum was about. I reused the name, and it turned out to actually suit writing quite well from time to time. For example, if I write a particularly bad sentence, "Well, that's just lovely."

14. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth Active Member

It is my name. :)

15. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

I like the story behind the username :D And somehow I imagine you like someone very exotic.

My username is actually the name of my character. She's so special because her story is the only one I still haven't managed to sit down and write, and yet I've used parts of plot for other stories which were never finished. Hopefully, she'll get her own, original story.

16. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté New Member

Thank you! :D Sometimes, I like to imagine I'm exotic as well. :cool:

(I'm really not!!)

17. The.Maverick

The.Maverick New Member

The.Maverick...

Well I'd always used the nickname Maverick when I was online from a young age - except my whole "Deviant" stage but lets not talk about that.

Maverick is most famously used I think in the film Top Gun which is a favourite of mine. But the meaning of the word is what is most important to me:

"someone who exhibits great independence in thought and action"¹

I started putting The in front because so many other people use the name too. I do have many nicknames from friends I've acquired over the years... But they're mostly embarrassing =(

¹http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=maverick

18. MetalRenard

MetalRenard New Member

Mine used to be "Metal Runner" as in :
    Heavy METAL
    and RUNNING up and down the guitar neck (shred/fast playing)

A month ago it became "Metal Renard" (Metal Fox) because I like animals a lot, especially animals such as foxes, wolves, dogs, squirrels, pine martens... oh I'm getting carried away ^^

Renard is French and I live in France so it reflects that too. I think it sounds nice :)

19. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

My first name is Ed and I am (by birth and in mindset) from New York City. I actually didn't give my username a great deal of thought when I chose it. It just sort of popped out.

20. art

art Contributor Contributor

My life is wholly devoted to the the pursuit and propagation of aesthetic excellence.:rolleyes:
    That, or I was listening to Simon and Garfunkel when I signed up.

21. Hallow's Eve

Hallow's Eve New Member

I honestly have no idea why my username is hallow's eve.............. maybe it's because I saw it once on another website and I liked the person's humor. But I'm not sure.... I remember thinking of indecisiveidiot300 for my username, but I'm saving it for when I really can't think of anything.

22. Laynee

Laynee New Member

It's a variation on my middle name and what I used to tell people to call me when I was growning up. I used to think it was so cosmopolitan. It is, isn't it??

23. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

In the anime Digimon Adventure 02 there was this villain girl, Archnemon, that was my favorite character. I just modified it a bit to make it look 'cool' to me and here it is - Archnenna.

24. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

It's the former first name of my novel's antagonist. The more I read it and thought about it, the name made him sound more like a well-mannered butler than the source of all the terrible things my MC faces. I didn't necessarily dislike the name, I just gave it to the wrong character. So here I am now, Nayin, well-mannered butler at your service. Anyone care for a spot of tea? :D

25. art

art Contributor Contributor

I hate to burst your bubble but round here every petty criminal, every roguish character has the double e sound appended to their name, so eg

Jones becomes Jonesy(ee)
    Smith becomes Smithy(ee)
    David becomes Davy (ee)

So, unless Laynee is pronounced Mariella, I imagine you to be an insubstantial and loutish hoodlum.