1. Liza

Liza Active Member

I Need Some Opinions, Does This Sound Stupid?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Liza, May 10, 2011.

Well, I'm currently in the process of planning a novel, which is long and hard. I have my own reasons for being so cautious, but anyway. I have one or two (or three, or four) questions, though.

My novel's plot is very... Science Fiction or Fantasy, I would say? With some mystery. Well, whichever category doppelgangers/memory loss falls under.

It has two main characters, really, but they are... The same person. Ah, well I have my own definition for doppelganger.

Well, the book is about doppelgangers, but nothing from fantasy, like witches, vampires, werewolves, etc. So, my two main characters (which are the same person) have to... Combine. Well, they were the same person before, but a doppelganger was created when the original girl got into a car accident (there's a big mystery about that) and she lost part of her memory, so it kinda created a doppelganger, a new person. But, it's her, just the 2 years back version. Yeah, different definition, right?

So when she lost part of her memory, she lost some pretty important things. Like, she doesn't remember her brother (who died in the accident) and why the accident happened at all. (Yes, it was set up.) Her parents decided to keep the fact that she had a brother from her, "to protect her." (I also want to ask if this sounds stupid, keeping it from her.)

And also, to bring up the no magic thing, how do the two combine? I was thinking that Jason (the brother) gave Alyssa (MC) a necklace right before the accident. So, both girls (who are the same girl) have this and they are bonded that way. So when Jason is avenged or whatever, they become the same person again. Or they have to put the pieces of the necklace together and the spirit of the doppelganger will go into the original. Is this ridiculous or non?

Sorry if this was confusing. And on a minor note, I live in Canada, but I don't want to reveal a location because I don't think it really matters in my case. Can I skip the location entirely or is this a bad idea?

Also,*I have absoloutely no idea what Grade Eights (or nines, I haven't decided) learn in school. I need some help with that. I just don't want it to sound stupid, or whatever.

Whew, that was a lot. I'm just paranoid, because my first attempt at a novel... The plot wasn't pretty.

EDIT: Oh no, does this sound like a what do you think of my plot thread? I just realized, because I just read the "What is character Development?" thread after I posted this. I'm not asking what you think of it, I'm asking on how I can incorporate some vital details into it, and make it authentic. I'm lost. I had to give some of my plot away to recieve some form of assistance. And this is a rather small part of my overall plot.
    I apologize, if it sounds like one, especially by the name. Or if it is one. I'd be okay with deleting the thread if it is.
    Again, my apologies.

2. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

9th grade is usually the start of High School. The classes Depends on the MC's grades. Most people start Algebra by this grade along with Biology, English Lit., Western Siv (In the US) or Government and lots of study halls. :p

3. Liza

Liza Active Member

Ah, English, I suppose it's the easiest for me. The schooling isn't all too important, but it does matter to a point.

Well, I guess it's not Sci-Fi, because I want them to come together, spiritually? Like through an object or event.

And no, the location isn't of any importance, but can I skip it all together with no mention?

4. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Doing things we can't do right now:

Sci-Fi : Uses technology, biology or some discovery of a new science.
    Fantacy : Uses Magic or gods.
    Theology : Uses God or a god of some faith.
    Extra sensory perception : Uses the power of the mind.

I don't know pick one.

5. indmoss

indmoss New Member

I think you have a fantasy story. It does not sound stupid.

6. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I think the whole necklace thing is a little cliché. Of course, I think clichés are always fine as long as you put your own spin on it. Right now, this seems like it has zero spin on it, so modify to make it more original or dump it. I think however they come together, it should pertain with the mystery about how she got the doppelganger in the first place.

You can skip it entirely. Still know your setting very well, but the reader can be left to guess. I keep forgetting Degrassi is set in Canada until they show your rainbow money. And anyway, do you really want people to know your story is set in Canada? (Haha, j/k I'm American. You can tease me about my country's politics)

It doesn't have to be. But if you really want some excellent help, check out this website: storyfix.com - Story Structure Series It's the best resource I have found to make novel plot clearer.

But your premise sounds AWESOME. Don't worry too much about characters and overall flow of your story just yet; it will come together over time. The hardest part is having an interesting premise, which you have.

7. Zaphodb2002

Zaphodb2002 New Member

One of my favorite quotes from How I Met Your Mother:

Barney [about Canadian $5 bill]: There's kids playing hockey on the back. It's like you want us to make fun of you!

I love you, Canada, but you're silly.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

9. Liza

Liza Active Member

Thank you all for your answers.
    And I'm sorry if this sounded like a What Do You Think question, because it wasn't. This is not my actual plot, I just had some questions on "Would it be okay if I did this?", like location-wise, etc. I like my plot and I know for a fact that different people have different opinions. I wouldn't change it or come looking for praise.

And thanks for all the answers again, I think I'm done with this thread.

(and yes, Canada is hockey-obsessed. Don't see the point, not being born here. I don't like hockey myself.)

10. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Your idea is indeed interesting sounding. But if you don't mind I have a few suggestions I'd like to put out there just for you to think about.

1. Make sure you keep it clear to your readers that your two main characters are different but the same. If you confuse your readers too much on the matter they'll throw the book down and never touch it again.
    2. When readers see the term doppleganger, they're probably going to think of magic. I like the idea but it's still good to explore other options for the term in case you find something even better you like and may make the story less confusing.
    3. You say you don't know much about the classes of 8-9th graders. You can always call/visit the local middle/high school and ask them about their curiculam for an average student. I don't think they'll mind giving you one of the hand books to look at for the sake of it. (One of my schools allowed me to do this when I was looking at courses for a character). If your not comfortable talking to a person face to face you can always go to the school's website. They usually have something there about the classes they offer.

And no, your idea doesn't sound stupid at all. Thinking it does will make it so you don't want to write the story at all. Even if you do it'll hinder it greatly and it won't turn out like you thought it would.
    So my number one rule to writing ANY story: Never ever think an idea is stupid.
    Even if it has a strong possibility of being one (I've had a few of them in my younger years) write them anyways just for the fun and the practice. After all Steven King thought one of his books was a stupid idea so he threw it away. In the end it ended up becoming his greatest best seller.
    So you never know.