1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Youtube Channels

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Gigi_GNR, Nov 18, 2014.

Does anyone have a favorite Youtube channel or two that they keep coming back to? I find it pretty cool to see how Youtube has grown from a silly video place to somewhere people can make crowdsourced content without any studio or professional help - a lot of the Youtube series I watch (i.e., Video Game High School) are really well-made content that get funded through Kickstarters. It's an interesting change for media.

I tend to stick with Roosterteeth/Achievement Hunter, Game Grumps, Markiplier, and a few beauty/fashion bloggers like RoseEllenDix.

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

This guy. His let's-plays are funny, and he doesn't have an annoying voice or presence, and he doesn't spew douchy commentary like some other let's-players.

Lemon flavoured and Gigi_GNR like this.
  3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Jacksfilms, CrashCourse, MrCreepyPasta, YaleCourses, Thunderf00t, CinimaSins, RedLetterMedia, WiseCrack, and SpokenVerse. I love each and every one of these guys. :love:

Mike Hill likes this.
  4. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

CinemaSins, GRArkada (for all your anime review needs), Olan Rogers, Balloon shop (Defunct now, but they were awesome back in the heyday.) my bro Zbot9000 and DudelikeHELLA.

5. Gigi_GNR

Mark is genuinely one of my favorite personalities, online or otherwise, because he's so funny and overwhelmingly kind; he actually puts forth effort to make something good.

KaTrian likes this.
  6. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

Cinemasins, Honest Trailers (other stuff on that channel is quite bad), Bart Baker (spicy music parodies).

JessAlways likes this.
  7. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I've noticed a change in our culture, but till last night's episode of south park, I was only aware of the symptoms, not the cause. This whole blogging/YouTube star culture is probably one of the worst realistic things I could ever envision happening to society. And it's happening.

Mike Hill likes this.
  8. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Markiplier

AlphaOmegaSin

ExplosimEntertainment

PBS Idea Channel

Extra Credits

PBS/Game Show

Honest Trailers

MrCreepyPasta

Chilling Tales for Dark Nights

Achievement Hunter

Keith Hughes

Vsauce

WiseCrack

Sword and Laser

MinutePhysics

And some others but I go to those the most

Thug Notes and 8 Philosphy 4 THE win!!

*High five*

Have you ever tried Chilling Tales for Dark Nights channel? They got some pretty fun stuff on there. This story was a real delight to listen to.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Lemex likes this.
  9. Lemon flavoured

Lemon flavoured Active Member

I mostly only really follow Let's Players. My two favourite are HC Bailly and RoundthewheelRTW, followed by Brisulph and Scott Manley.

10. Gigi_GNR

I feel like both CinemaSins and Honest Trailers are nitpicky movie channels, honestly. Nostalgia Critic falls the same way.

11. JessAlways

JessAlways Member

Jacksfilms, Honest Trailers, Rhett and Link, The Warp Zone, Bart Barker.

12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

My main favorite channels:

Cinema Sins

Honest Trailers

Vlogbrothers, Sci-Show, and Crash Course

Extra Credits

The Nostalgia Critic

Cinemamassacre

TheRadBrad

VSauce

SmarterEveryDay

TFS Abridged

Angry Joe

SmoshGames

Shoddy Cast

Imaginarily likes this.
  13. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Nathan Fisher / Natesvlogs / Nateflicks. His employee evaluations in particular are hilarious.

14. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

WilliamHaynesTV
    Jacksfilms
    RhettandLink
    FreddieW

15. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Natewantstobattle does s lot of gaming videos and covers of anime and game music.
    Dookieshed is another game tuber, mostly pokemon and mega man.
    Leeandlie also does a lot of anime music covers.
    Taylor Davis is a Lindsey Stirling-style violinist who does a lot of movie/game/amine covers, as well as original pieces.

16. The Smoked Word

The Smoked Word New Member

I'll just leave some of my favourites here that haven't been metioned (unless I didn't pay attention).
    JackSepticEye, great Irish commentary, lots of really bad humour (innuendo's mainly) and just a positive attitude.
    FunHaus, started as Machinima/Inside Gaming but are now partnered with Rooster Teeth (or something like it). The multi-team thing works quite well. One of my favourite series of theirs is Demo Disc. They once received a batch of demo discs from a fan and they test them all. Mainly games from 1995ish - 2010ish. Definitly worth a watch if you like let's plays and the like.

17. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

@Gigi_GNR I discovered Markiplier literally yesterday - how did I survive without him? :rofl:

My other subs:

CinemaSins
    ThinkLikeAHorse
    Big Think
    Shirley Curry (Skyrim Grandma! :bigeek:)
    StarTalk Radio
    Bad Lip Reading
    Marriland (wholesome and punny Pokémon let's-play)
    TamashiiHiroka (Pokémon fandom stuff)
    OlanRogers (he tells the best fucking stories oh god)

*wanders away with nerd-flag high* :whistle:

18. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Also recently started following Smooth McGroove, who does a Capella covers of game music.

19. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Sorry to TS, not strictly a channel, but I didn't know where else to put it, nor did I want to start a new thread.

Possibly not for the squeamish, but you know the living world can be one hell of a fascinating place!

20. Imaginarily

@OurJud Thanks for that. :wtf:

I am guilty of getting stuck in the pimple / abscess / ingrown hair section of YouTube, though. :blech: So gross, yet so awesome. Ah, the internet.

OurJud likes this.
  21. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

This one as well as shadypenguinn for general Pokémon stuff. CybertronProductions is good if you're into VGC, though I haven't done much with the metagame for a while.

As far as general gaming channels go, for me it's rabbidluigi, especially since he tends to focus on classic Nintendo--lots of Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon--which is right in my wheelhouse.

*Salutes*

Imaginarily likes this.
  22. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I have started to struggle with the idea that on YouTube, a personality seems to be equated with being a loud, obnoxious tit.

As others have said, I do enjoy RedLetterMedia.

OurJud likes this.
  23. Imaginarily

God I love this channel. :pop: (Vsauce)

24. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I fucking loath these YouTube 'stars'. There's one stupid cunt especially, called PewDePie or something, who reviews computer horror games. He's one of these cocks who shows the gameplay, with a little cam window of his face overlayed in the corner of the screen, so you can listen to his God-awful whining little voice and watch his stupid bastard expressions.

The Social Media generation - I'd happily shoot every last one of the little shits!

Cave Troll and Chinspinner like this.
  25. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

It's not much different than the rise of self-publishing in the writing world. Culture is changing to the point where art can become more creator-driven, and the media exists for those creators to publish content directly to the consumer. Whether we're talking books (via Smashwords and CreateSpace), art (via DeviantArt), or original programming (via YouTube), everyday people are able to reach each other without having to go through the corporate executives who are usually the gatekeepers to these types of things. Indie gaming and indie music are becoming more popular. In the past I'd have said it wouldn't surprise me if YouTube eventually developed its own programming, much like Netflix and Hulu, but I think that day has already come in a sense.

I think it's a very interesting phenomenon, and I hope it's actively being studied and not just brushed aside by industry professionals. Just like with self-publishing, there's an issue of quality control--but that's not really the point, is it?

But things like this aren't limited to entertainment, either. In IT, it's incredibly common to see people with blogs rise up to give talks at conferences, then go on to write books on their subjects. I think it's simply a matter of getting involved with your community and finding a way to contribute--in the SharePoint community, there are a number of people in my area who attend the local conferences. They're the same people I see come up in Google searches for problems I run into. They're the same ones giving lectures at the state conventions. These people weren't chosen by anyone--they decided to get involved and put their knowledge out there. Some have YouTube channels.

Gaming communities are much the same--the Pokémon community has notable members who got started on YouTube and who now provide commentary at regional championships and present at the worlds tournament right after the Nintendo execs leave the stage. It's real stuff. And it's often self-made. That's a big effing deal. The fact of the matter is, some YouTube channel owners are actually able to make a living from what they're doing. They have enough support from followers and enough enthusiasm for their subject matter that they can actually support themselves. If that's not a paradigm shift in the way society's views on entertainment is changing, then I don't know what is.

Imaginarily likes this.