1. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Youtube/Uploading Free Audio Short Stories. Things to think about?

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Madman, Sep 23, 2022.

I intend on making some sort of channel or site where I can share my short stories and connected short stories as audio, meaning I will sit and recite them into a microphone.

I want to set the short stories in the same universe as a book series I would love to publish the traditional route. Would this project cause trouble for me when it comes to publishing the book series?

The concept will basically be a video or just an audio file uploaded somewhere where I retell my stories. Video format to include paintings of my universe that I have comissioned.

What do you think? Is this a good way of getting your stuff out there? I hope this will help me stay motivated in the long term as I gain haters followers. It may also have a positive effect when I finally launch my book series?

Thoughts? Recommendations?

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I think it's a very clever idea, but it seems like the problem would be, as always, finding a way to get people to hear your stories, written or otherwise. I'll admit I don't know much about YouTube, so it may be easier to find an audience than I think.

Madman likes this.
  3. Madman

Yeah, my only hope is that god the algorithm smiles upon me and makes my content appear more often. Think that may be the only way to get views. I don't want to make this a commercial project yet, so I will not spend money on advertisement and I don't want to make money from it, for now, so I will make sure advertisement is off for a better viewer experience.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  4. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Check a guy named Oliver Buckle on YouTube, who seems to be doing something like you're talking about.

Madman likes this.
  5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Some of it may depend on what you're planning to do with the books/tales/series. The audiobook rights (if you are hoping to find a publisher) might become a concern, although I guess one could argue it is performance. But still, may be an issue. If you intend to self-publish, then that is not a concern at all.

Some authors have their first audiobook in a series on youtube for free, and there is varied success, but often it is not self-narrated.

As always, it is getting the word out about your video that can be the challenge, and if what you post ends up being of interest to readers/listeners. How well you narrate will make a big difference. The supplemental art can't hurt, but I am no sure over the course of longer videos, it will be a major component to success in the effort.

You could search Lindsay Buroker on Youtube. She has a number of first novels out, with a lot of views/listens. But hers are professionally narrated, not self-narrated and she already had an established readership before the Youtube effort.

Paul E Cooley is another author who posts some of his works on Youtube (and elsewhere). He narrates his own works. So you could check him out as well to get an idea of what is out there and the structure and quality of the efforts.

Madman likes this.
  6. Madman

Appreciate the suggestions on other youtube authors, I've looked them up. Paul E Cooley seemed advanced in his readings, even using sound alteration when an internal voice in a space suit spoke and such, I probably won't go that far. I will hide my mug and use a painting or something as a background. Filming my face while I speak might be distracting for the listener, it might be better to just see a static image or something.

Also, @TWErvin2 I wasn't going to put up my book series or even a part of it on the net, just short stories or series of short stories set in the same universe.

I want to self-narrate since it just wouldn't be economically viable for me to have actors/speakers. It would also allow me to upload more often and faster (as soon as I've written something.)

Thanks for the input.

TWErvin2 likes this.
  7. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

If there are other people doing something similar, who have been around a while and have a decent following, the thing to do would be to do a video with one of them, or maybe a few of them. Probably not a reading, but you could do some vlog style videos about your writing or whatever, almost a behind-the-scenes thing. And maybe get involved in the Booktube community or something. Get a few of them to mention you to their followers, and you talk them up to yours. This is how collaboration works on YouTube.

Madman likes this.
  8. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Audio quality will make a huge difference. I'm not in the know about good, affordable mics, but I'm sure a bit of googling can get you there if you haven't already.

There are different philosophies on investment in general. Mine is it's either worth full-assing or not doing at all, IMO.

I recommend getting a visual piece commissioned from Fiverr for every short story you do. There are some really good artists on there that don't break banks. Like the audio quality, it will elevate things.

As for is it a good idea... I wouldn't know. Can you tell us how it works out? :D

Madman likes this.
  9. Madman

@Xoic
    When I get some videos up and more viewers, I may look into collaboration with others who are doing the same thing. Could be beneficial for all parties. Thanks for the advice.

@Not the Territory
    Good tip on using Fiverr, been working with local painters, but it's been a bit of hit and miss.

Will come back here in a year or so and let people know how I got on. :)

Thanks.

Not the Territory likes this.