Zombies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JTheGreat, May 14, 2011.

1. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Plus, most blunt objects (like crowbars) are equally weighted, not very energy-efficient for swinging.

I'm hoping by the time this ever happens they modify produce Plants vs. Zombies style :redface:.

2. Vintage

Vintage New Member

I would try and find some way to control this undead horde to do my bidding.

Either, it would end up totally awesome or be utter suicide.

I like to think that the first outcome is the most probable.

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

That's exactly my hope, too. I don't know how well I'd fare with rage-infected sprinting zombies.

This is basically my plan as well, except get as many allies as possible. :p

4. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Allies are a liability. Human nature means that they can and will betray you to save themselves.

Unless the allies are zombies.

5. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

They are also attracted by scent. A living person smells differently from a zombie. :) In the comic, a zombie can even become desencitized to a scent if it stays around it long enough. One living girl actually managed to use her two zombified brothers to help sneak past a pack of zombies. They were not only desencitized to her scent, but she was able to use their combined smell to overpower her own scent. It also helped that she had removed their arms and lower jaws.

1 person likes this.
  6. Gigi_GNR

I wouldn't be traveling with a large group, because that's definitely a liability. I'd pick a handful of people that I would trust to have my back and whose backs I would definitely have, and they'd be my allies.

Or you could cover yourself in zombie guts like in episode 2 of he first season, although that'd be pretty unpleasant, I'm thinking. :p

7. punk

punk Active Member

I think I'll pull a Bill Murray and act like a fellow zombie when they invade.

8. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Am I the only person who thinks the zombie thing is getting done to death? Pun intended...

And zombie fiction was not originally meant to be apocalyptic. Zombie apocalyptic type stories was a sub-set that has become popular because Romero was trying to make a poetic statement about the doomed state of civilization.

9. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Joke's on you...

10. Essemar

Essemar New Member

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) I live in Scandinavia which is pretty thinly populated, so there probably wouldn't be a massive horde of the things. First thing I'd get would be a melee weapon such as an ax and then get my girlfriend. We don't have any gun shops in Scandinavia, so not chance of picking up any heavy firearms.
    Would probably begin by scavenging for food before everything gets looted, then head off into the thinly populated regions of Scandinavia. Perhaps a hut in the mountains of Norway? Sounds safe to me.

11. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Sorry, but Denmark belongs to me and my zombie horde. No one likes Zealand anyways. ;)

12. Gigi_GNR

Zombieland FTW! :D

I like how it's evolved, though, and in a way it still is a statement.

Plus, if you play Call of Duty (I only know this because my younger brother is a COD ADDICT), Romero actually plays a zombie in one of the zombie maps. :D

13. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

Why yes, yes I do :D LOL

Actually, the novel I'm writing is sort of a supernatural thriller - apocalypse disaster story. Well, I'm nearly finished with the first book (I envision it as a trilogy) and book 2 is going to deal with... *drumroll* ... ZOMBIES! (Er, kind of.... zombies with a twist) I love zombie apocalypse movies, by the way :D

14. Vintage

Vintage New Member

In the short novel I wrote that ended with a zombie invasion, there was no way to stop them, they could only be delayed.

...I'm not a fan of happy endings.

15. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

/\ nothing wrong with that :D

Haha me too! :D

16. WastelandSurvivor

WastelandSurvivor New Member

My novella is a zombie horror story so I am relatively familiar with the zombie apocalypse. Personally, though, I like to see zombies as being a metaphor for any disaster that people are unprepared for. An example would be all of you who said you would acquire weapons and supplies along the way--you would be highly unprepared for any major disaster, let alone zombies. Those of us who have supplies and weapons already stashed away, along with stocked bug-out bags, will be in much better shape.

The interesting thing about zombie stories, and apocalyptic stories in general, is that they tend to glorify the unprepared and vilify the prepared. My theory regarding this is that most readers are not prepared for disasters and find hope in the struggles of unprepared characters surviving against all odds. I struggled with this idea in my own work and tried to find a balance of preparedness and a lack of preparedness, but I'm not sure how successful I truly was.

As far as having a zombie plan goes, that is sort of a silly question. I have a disaster plan, so we are pretty well covered for zombies with that.

Oh, and it definitely doesn't involve shoplifting/looting--that's just a horrible idea.

17. Gigi_GNR

^ But theoretically, in a zombie apocalypse, there are no more rules, so shoplifting or looting would be necessary to survival.

18. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Yeh do whatever to survive!

19. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I wonder why the entertainment media seems to ignore the Haitain and African origins of zombies for the most part.

20. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Not always, Serpent and the Rainbow deals with Haitian zombies. Alot of vampire fiction does not pay homage to eastern european origins these days either.

21. WastelandSurvivor

WastelandSurvivor New Member

My "no shoplifting/looting" rule has less to do with legality (although if law and order is ever restored you could certainly have problems with that) and more to do with the fact that everyone else is going to be shoplifting/looting. Such a scenario would be dangerous and have the potential to become deadly, so why bother? I can buy everything I will need before I need it and store it, then just bug-in or bug-out depending on the situation. No last-minute trips to Wal-Mart, no breaking into the Costco with hundreds of other unprepared, panicked people, no fighting/killing over the last Twinkie at the gas station. I get to be safe and sound with everything my family and I need without having to risk exposing ourselves to more danger than necessary.

1 person likes this.
  22. Gigi_GNR

^ That's a much better idea, actually. :)

23. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Haha, this thread just made me extremely happy. This has got to be one of my favorite topics, and my EXTREME WISH for how the world will end. I don't have to do much thinking about what I would do if this occurred.

Civilization would be destroyed upon a viral outbreak. I would probably be awaking from a deep sleep from the night before, or possibly out in a public place (but probably not, seems like a very bad place to be during a viral outbreak). Nothing like being safe and sound at home... for now at least. The first thing I would do is check on my family (being my father and sister) and make sure they are quite alright. If so, my next move would to be check on my surrounding family that lives next door to me (being my grandmother, cousin, and both great uncles). Doing this, though, I'd be quick not to endanger myself. If they appear to be alright, I would tell them to leave immediately. I would not, however, stick to a huge amount of people, because that would only lure the zombies toward us. I know the saying "travel in crowds", but during a zombie apocalypse, it'd be best NOT to travel in huge groups. The only people I would probably allow to come with me is my grandmother (for she is too old to go alone), my father and my sister. I also have two cats, but my cat is too scared of people as it is, he can secure himself; as for the other cat, I'm not so sure.

But anyway, the next thing I would do is check the vehicles and make sure they are working. I know my dad would try to take charge, but this is what I would honestly do in this situation. I would immediately go inside my grandmother's house and get both the guns she keeps at her bedside, make sure they are loaded, and if not, demand where the bullets are. But knowing me, I'll be sure to find some someplace. I would gather the weapons and immediately get into the vehicle with my grandmother, father and sister and keep a look out for danger.

Next, I would pull out my cell phone (hoping that the cell towers are still working) and call my mother and make sure she and my little brother are alright. If so, I'd allow them to secure themselves and hope to meet with them once again when all is over.

To be honest, the best place to take shelter around where I live is the closest abandoned building where there are hardly any civilization around. I would take my family inside and bar the doors and windows (if they aren't already) and more than likely, my father and I (though he'd try to keep me away) would keep watch while my grandmother and sister hid. Honestly, I would not allow my father to have all the fun now would I? :p

It would probably go on from there. Hoping that everyone I know comes out okay (which I know my friends will, because they're just epic on their own).

Not to sound crazy or anything, but I do hope a zombie apocalypse does occur someday. :D

24. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Marry me....?

I've been wishing/preparing for a zombie apocalypse for as long as I can remember :p You've basically taken the words right out of my mouth lols!

25. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

*watches expectantly for aimi_aiko's answer* :D