1. huskies

huskies Member

Beautiful Creatures

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by huskies, Mar 12, 2013.

Apologies if there is already a thread about these books I did look.

Just curious really if anyone else has read these and what you thought about it. I currently on the second book and really enjoying them.

2. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I think it is just another Twilight wannabe.

3. huskies

huskies Member

I really enjoyed twilight so maybe that's why they have appealed to me.

I like the fact that it's from the boys pov it's gives the emotions a different spin. I do feel it's a little busy and they haven't really taken the time to create te world that there trying to describe.

4. ANightDude

ANightDude New Member

I read it and had a mixed feeling. Parts of it I outright hated, and parts of it I outright loved.

Ethan is a pretty well written character. He's not incredibly deep, but he certainly has demons and personality that really set the stage for him in the series (I've yet to read the other novels). Lena is... eh. She complains quite a bit and came off as rather annoying to me. For whatever reason, the side characters and VERY well written compared to the protagonists. Link and his mother, Amma, Macon, Ridley (not so much with her, but still) are very well thought out characters. I found myself caring for Link quite a bit more than I did any of the other characters.

That being said, plot wise... it's a bit weak. And unimaginative. The whole "new girl in town" aspect with the bullies and "wanting to live a normal life" are just so worn down that they come off as a bit annoying and uninteresting, at least to me. The whole aspect of a small, ultra-conservative town was pretty interesting, as well as the Civil War tie-ins, but other than that the world building is just a minimalism version of everything that came before it.

That being said, it's really more about the characters than the plot (thankfully) and the ending climax is wonderfully written and pretty, dare I say it... fun, insane, and tense?

It has me interested in reading me. I just hope the world building is better in the sequels. Characters are quite good.

It's much better than Twilight. Much, much, much better.

5. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I guess the support characters are better. Maybe that's why the story went well.