Zoupskim's Resolution

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by zoupskim, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Lifeline

Lifeline Going South. Supporter Contributor

Definitely this part of the sentence :)

Happy New Year!

Shenanigator, zoupskim and Stormburn like this.
  2. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Blood: 1 and a half chapters. I'm at 17 of 32. Halfway.

3. zoupskim

Blood:
    I proofed 3 Chapters, putting me at chapter 20 of 32. If I can do 3 chapters a day, that puts me done in 4 days, then maybe submission time, or maybe another Beta read.

4. zoupskim

Did you write today?

Blood: Final-proofed only 1 chapter. Not that much, but...

SciFi Donut: I finished formatting the text of my Scifi Anthology. The cover design and author blurb and everything is done. The only thing left is the actual cover image. The one I have right now is alright, but it's specific to only ONE of the shorts. I'm considering something more broad. I'll take a few pictures this weekend and try to capture what I have in mind. I hope to publish Donut within the month.

5. zoupskim

Blood: 2 chapters.

Scifi Donut: I had time to work on getting my cover. It's all set up. I just need to take the time to look of the distribution offered by the different services.

6. zoupskim

Blood: Edited 2 chapters.

Donut: So, after fiddling with the publishing services, I figured out that I need to use a different sort of format. I built the format in scrivener, and arranged 3 of the shorts properly before it got late. 13 more to go.

7. zoupskim

Blood: I was busy doing something else.

Donut: I finished formatting and spacing and page numbering this. It comes out to 40,000 words.

Shenanigator, Lifeline and Stormburn like this.
  8. zoupskim

Blood: 3 chapters proofed.

Donut: Researching pricing. And advertisement stuff. And website creation... there's a LOT of bullshit that goes into self publishing.

9. zoupskim

Blood: 1 chapter.

Donut: I spent most of my time on this. I've finished the E-reader version of the book, so the print and electronic versions are both ready. I spent some time researching pricing as well.

Additionally, after some pondering and research, I have decided to change the name of SciFi Donut to SciFi Doodad

10. zoupskim

Blood: 2 chapters proofed, 3 more to go.

Donut, now called Doodad: Honed in on a price. I'm still researched advertisement. I can advertise here, make a facebook and twitter, and make a website. Still looking into it all.

New 2019 Project: As I spend the year pitching Blood to agents, I'll be starting a new project. My war autobiography is always on the table, but there's other ideas I have that are less 'hardcore'. Once I figure it out I'll put it here, but I plan to end this year with another book or series of novellas done.

11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Non-practicing American Contributor

If you haven't noticed it, there's a currently active thread on promoting Kindle books here: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/promoting-a-kindle-ebook-ive-tried-nothing-and-im-all-outta-ideas.160497/#post-1737554

zoupskim and Shenanigator like this.
  12. zoupskim

Yeah I saw that and read. There's a lot of info on the subject. One of the things I worked on today was testing how the thumbnail of my book cover looks, so that even if someone sees just a small bit, the art and title is visible.

I don't have a social media presence, no Facebook or twitter or whatever, but I'll be making those I guess.

Blood: One chapter.

Stormburn likes this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Let me know when you get either, I have both as a writer (non-personal, apolitical etc). Every little link helps.

zoupskim and Stormburn like this.
  14. zoupskim

In chronological order...

Kuiper: A series of 3 science fictions novella's I've been wanting to write. It would focus on deep space exploration and technical fiddling, and emotional characters struggling to get by. I wrote the introduction of the characters today. 500 words. I'm still experimenting with the style, but this looks like something I could get into.

Doodad: I started up my facebook and twitter. I don't have any following online, just people I know here, but I'll need to start connecting and marketing once I publish this.

Blood: Proofed 1 chapter.

Lifeline, Dracon and Stormburn like this.
  15. Iain Aschendale

To stay on the right side of FB's Terms of Service you'll also want to start an Author Page, personal pages aren't supposed to be used for marketing. I have both, as well as a community page under a different page name.

Lifeline, zoupskim and Stormburn like this.
  16. zoupskim

Blood: 1 chapter.

Lifeline and Stormburn like this.
  17. zoupskim

Blood:
    I finished the last proof. All 32 chapters are done. I think it's finished, or as close as I can get it. Time to start submitting it, which actually means time to write up a mailing list of agents.

Doodad: This is finished, but I'm building my facebook page I'll use to tell people about it.

Kuiper:
    I wrote a practice scene of a different POV; I just dug in for an hour and wrote whatever I thought of. My plan is to have 2 main POV characters. One POV will be for the main character and their adventure. The 2nd POV will be a sort of world-wise parental figure, further removed from the actual struggle, but able to give context to a lot that is happening.

18. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

It's an excellent book. I'm looking forward to following it's progress.
    What narrative will you be using?

Lifeline and zoupskim like this.
  19. zoupskim

Blood: Done for now. Looking at gents.

Doodad: It's waiting for me to hit the publish button on the ereader page, but I'm still looking into blogs and websites and facebook pages who offer book advertising.

Kuiper: Today, I outlined the basic plot progression of each chapter, and the events that cause the plot to move. Usually, I'd try to write a little without a complete outline, but for these novellas I'm doing it different. I want every element quantified before I start saying names.

Thanks so much! I hope agents/ publishers feel the same, but that you liked it is reward enough.

For Kuiper, I plan to have the protagonist speak in 1st person POV. They are a younger character, who is involved closely with a lot of the adventure, and have stakes tied directly to what happens in every moment. The narrator character will speak in the 3rd person. They are an older, passive character, and while they are involved in the events of the story, their skates are the protagonist. They are interpreting the events as if they are watching it happen to someone else, not experiencing it themselves.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 10:21 PM
    Lifeline, Stormburn and Dracon like this.
  20. Lifeline

Lifeline Going South. Supporter Contributor

Sounds like an excellent idea :)

Stormburn likes this.
  21. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Contributor Community Volunteer

most of those aren't worth the C4 to blow them to hell... if its free you may as well do it, but in terms of paid ads about all that's worth doing is Amazon Ads and Facebook ads (and bookbub ads - not the featured deal, but not worth it on just one book).

Bargain booksy works okay if you are willing to heavily discount, likewise freebooksy on a free day (if you are in KU), most of the other blast services aren't worth the cash

If you are wide its worth getting the promo tab added to your kobo account as a lot of their promos are quite reasonably priced and effective

To be honest its hard to make a positive ROI on a single book whatever you do (which is why I didn't start paid advertising until I had five out)