1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Zoupskim's Resolution

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by zoupskim, Jul 19, 2016.

1. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributing Member Contributor

I'm on the last two chapters of my book. It feels strange to see the story ending, and feels a little unsatisfying. I'll still feel happy to complete the book, but at the same time... what next?

Slow editing, really making sure the ending works.

2. zoupskim

The last threads of ideas and creativity is ending in my book. One last big battle and the aftermath, and it's done! DONE! I'll have a book, and it will be what it is except for a few clarifications based on an alpha reader and beta reads. I'm so close.

Word's edited: 1810

Dracon likes this.
  3. zoupskim

Got some Alpha notes today, so I edited early chapters. No forward momentum today, but crucial work was still done.

Edited words: 0

4. zoupskim

Tonight I prepared for a work related test, so I didn't write at all. Duty calls.

5. zoupskim

Today was weird...

Tester: Sir, in my ten years working here, I've never seen someone score this high on this test.

Zoupskim: ... Even the math sections?

Tester: Sir, you scored perfect: Ninety-ninth percentile.

Zoupskim: ... Really?

Tester: Oh yes, sir.

Zoupskim: ... Cool... can I get a letter of completion?

ANYwho, I'm still working on my book. I finished the first half of the last chapter today, 2900 words. I need to stay focused, cause being so close to being done, some of my drive is gone, I'll admit it. Keep pluggin', me!

6. zoupskim

Today I got home really late, and had to set up some gear for work tomorrow. This week is really busy.

I did hardly anything, but managed to edit 500 words on the last chapter of the book.

7. zoupskim

Augh, just got home after doing a range. This week is kicking my butt! Still wrote though, 770 little words. End chapter, final standoff.

One step at a time.

8. zoupskim

770 seemed like a weak number, so I tried harder and edited another 1400, bringing my total tonight to 2170.

So tired...

Dracon likes this.
  9. Dracon

Dracon Active Member

Try not to put us all to shame too much! :D Makes me think there's no excuse not to write this weekend.

zoupskim likes this.
  10. zoupskim

Pfft, shame. I'm just writing a lame-o war story about WAR. I'm not special. I just try hard, even when it's not good. Write!

I edited 2300 words today/night. It think it's better to measure how many words are left. 5601

11. zoupskim

12. zoupskim

I did edited 1806 words today, and finished the last chapter of the main narrative of my book. I still have the epilogue to finish, but the epilogue is just a short scene where one of the characters is shown regretting everything they did, which they never thought was important anyway.

So, it's done. I've written a book. Yay.

Time to wait for Alpha readers to finish, and when they're done send the thing out for Beta reads. Then publishing queries. It's all coming rather... normally. I supposed I should write a full, proper cover excerpt and query letter, but that will come soon. I guess I'll do a wordcount too, figure out how many pages there are, consider that one chapter that's way to short...

But it's done...

13. zoupskim

Didn't get to edit today. Wife and baby both had some sort of fever, so I took care of everyone today.

14. zoupskim

Today I got ready for a big job interview. I didn't write, and I won't be able to write for about a week. The interview is in another city, and I'll be focusing on all the tests, assessments, and interviews.

15. zoupskim

I got back tonight, with my interview complete. I did well, and will commence writing tomorrow.

16. zoupskim

Well, I'm back from my interview, and was hoping to write, but the power's out!

Dang nature!

17. zoupskim

So, I've got my first Beta reader, and will wait for his input before making more edits. I also am waiting on my primary Alpha reader to finish the book as a whole, so I'll be making edits after that point.

Really just waiting now. The book is basically done, but I want those Alpha and Beta reads, and then maybe more Beta's.

Planning ahead, I'll likely have to do a length edit. Currently, the book is something like 101,000 words, and 200 pages single space, ten size font, Times New Roman. I'm an unpublished nobody, so I doubt a publisher is going to look on that length favorably. After the Alpha Beta readers get done with it all, I'll see how long it clocks, then work on cutting it down

My hope is to cut it down to 80,000. That's over a fifth of the text, but I believe I can do it.

18. zoupskim

My Beta reader already send me notes!

I was very pleased. He was thorough, and gave me notes on every chapter and the main characters. It was amazing, and I have my first look at what a reader may think of my book. He was honest, and told me what he thought was bad, and what interested him. I sent him the 2nd part of the book, and look forward to more insight.

This would be good enough, but then Alpha Prime sent me notes!

I'll be write, write, writing all night!

Dracon and Lifeline like this.
  19. zoupskim

Tonight was fucking AWESOME! My life is so on point, the new year kicking ass the whole way.

I followed Alpha Prime @Lifeline 's advice and fixed some lame, droney sentences, but that was EASY! I also read over three chapters of Beta Prime @Dracon 's notes and made some fixes, but they were minimal. Not to insult him, but a lot of his advice is on the narrative feel as a whole, and can only be applied once he's read the whole thing.

Thing is, all this is just gravy. It never let me hit me when it actually happened, since I was getting ready for an interview and my focus was elsewhere, but...

I'VE WRITTEN A BOOK!!

It's, like, DONE!... You could read it right now, and there'd be a plot, decent spelling, and honed, edited narrative.

I'll work hard to make it better, and more Beta's will be done, but... I can't even! Like... what!? AAUGH! WRITE!! TURN THIS UP TO 100 AND WRITE!

20. Lifeline

Lifeline Out of the Night Contributor

:D welcome to this new reality! :D

Yes, you HAVE writtten a book (in case you didn't know) :D

zoupskim likes this.
  21. zoupskim

Today I edited a chapter based on some notes, experimenting with shortening/ combining it with another to fix my length problem. I cut about 1500 words, and cleaned up a lot of language.

22. zoupskim

23. zoupskim

So, big plans.

Alpha and Beta prime continue to read my book, and both have pointed out that the initial, big, call to action battle takes too long. Alpha prime had already pointed out that certain chapters seemed wordy, descriptions of one character in specific, and they needed to be refocused. That, combined with Beta Prime's comments, really brought if full circle.

To paraphrase Beta Prime:

"The characters are interesting, but lack of plot and motivation early on makes me not care about the battle they're fighting. My interest was there in chapter 1, but chapter 2-4 drug all interest out, with chapter 5 finally getting it back, but by then a reader might have put the book down. I don't know these characters or your setting yet, so three chapters of fighting is too much this early."

I'm still waiting for Beta's final words on the whole book, but his comments already sync with Alpha's comments a long time ago that, for lack of a better term, it drags out. Cool. I get to write more. Plans are already in motion to amend this boredom. I already wanted to cut my book length to make it more accessible, and now other people confirm that it needs to.

Plan 1:

Rewrite chapters 2-4 into one monochaper with the battle taking about 6k words, and two main characters introductions/ plights mingling between scenes.

Plan 2:

Shorten chapter 2, introducing one main character, shorten chapter 3 introducing another main character, then shorten chapter 3 and make it about one battle. 9k words total.

I've almost finished plan 2, and will start on plan 1 tomorrow. Words cut 5188

24. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Contributing Member

I've actually heard different things about this. Some people say publishers want a longer debut, on the theory that consumers pay the same for an 80k word book as they do for a 100k word book, so all else being equal a longer book will make more consumers happy as it is more content per dollar/peso/euro whatever.

As I recall there was a thread a while ago about this, you can probably get better advice there since I am also an unpublished nobody.

ETA: the thread I mentioned is here

zoupskim likes this.
  25. zoupskim

... Well, shit :p

Luckily, I keep ALL versions of my book, so the long version will still exist after I cut it down to 80k. Thanks for the resource, though!