1. Ged

Ged New Member

Character influence

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ged, Dec 17, 2010.

So, I have a small problem.
    My main character has a close friend, whom he has to leave for a while, in order to go on plotful journeys.
    That close friend will be mercilessly murdered eventually, and that will be a turning point for my character.

The thing is, I don't want to make her (yeah, the close friend is a woman) a walking, talking plot device; on the other hand, I don't want to delay the plot by having them spend time together, because it would get boring.

So how can I show that my character's friend has influenced him a lot, without there being much interaction between them?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

what methods of communication do you have available ? Letters, diaries, mobile phone? Email at the library?

3. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Show a tender moment before or after a journey.

Maybe MC could have a keepsake - ie photo, lock of hair, etc. Need only be mentioned once.

If MC meets a mutual friend, s/he should ask "how's [friend] doing?"

Ask yourself how you would handle it if "friend" were replaced with "sister". It'll be largely the same, less the possible romantic tension in the past or present.

-Frank

4. Ged

Ged New Member

Um, the technology is vaguely medieval, and the distance between the two is...

*looks at a map of Europe*

...from Manchester to Paris, or something like that.

And I seriously doubt he can send ships back to where he came from, no matter his political powers.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

She could then send him with a collection of letters - one to open everyday or once a week.

6. ElvenSorceress

ElvenSorceress New Member

Have him carry around a keepsake. It could be anything from a sword she forged for him or even an old handkerchief of hers that she gave him. It only needs to be mentioned once with an explanation of its importance.
    Or if you don’t like that have him remember times they shared together. They could be romantic, playful, amusing, or even some time she risked her life for him.

7. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Have her teach him something important along with giving him some sort of keepsake or some common item that holds a inside joke between them. A reminder of his lesson and his friendship in general.

If I knew more I could give better examples. But maybe when they were younger they got caught doing something they weren't supposed to(stealing apples from a nearby apple orchard) and the friend taught him how to properly lie or better yet dont get caught.

What you really need is some keepsake and a good story to go along with it. It doesn't have to be a lesson she had taught him. It could be a great afternoon at a carnival event type thing they went to. Maybe it was just a lazy afternoon at some secluded section of a creek.

But what he carries around and why it's important to him is all up to you. That is if you go this route.

8. MetalRenard

MetalRenard New Member

I think flashbacks would work well for this. You don't have to wait around and you can use them when you feel it fits.

9. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

I'd go with a tender moment, as said, a dream, or memories triggered by events in the main character's journey. As an example, there's people I think about daily but haven't seen in years. Thoughts just crop up or may be triggered by my senses.

10. JeffS65

JeffS65 New Member

How do people we care about affect us in our own lives? Remember that when you write, much of what you write is reflective of what actually occurs.

You don't have to spend much time creating an in depth encounter to introduce her. If she is important to him and has affected his life, her affects as a person will be occasionally brought up in his life. Whether a mom, friend or mentor, we bring forth thoughts throughout our days from those people that have affected us and you character would probably be no different.

The depth of the relationship should be reflected in some references during his adventures. This is how people influence us in our lives and the woman character would be no different.

11. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Have your character bring her up in conversations, reminiscing good times or something. A girl really has to impact a guy for him to talk about her to other people! (Whereas us women never shut up about our men sometimes!) :)