1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm worried my fantasy story is encouraging bestiality.

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Link the Writer, Aug 8, 2012.

In short, my fantasy story involves Altrans (the humans) and Devonians (horned cat people). They are both capable of rational logic, speech, and have their own culture and history. The Devonians are no different than any other fantasy race, they just happen to look like bipedaled cats with horns.

There has been an idea in my head for the past few days that has left me queasy and disturbed. Basically, what if one of my Altrans fell in love with a Devonian? You guys probably have seen what my Devonians and Altrans look like from all the stuff I posted in the Art thread, but just in case...

[​IMG]
    Ignore the little green dude. It was just a comic I was doing for my own pleasure. The focus point was to show you what a Devonian and an Altran looked like (the Altran, obviously, being the human girl at the end.)

My worry is that...well...isn't that beastiality if I had the Altran girl in the lower left fall in love with that Devonian kid? Regardless of the fact that they're the same age and, again, are capable of speaking for themselves, it doesn't change the fact that the Devonian is pretty much a cat, and she'd be falling in love with one. I find it somewhat disgusting, and the last thing I need is to imply that I'm encouraging bestiality.

A part of me justifies it by reminding me of one of the old Planet of the Apes movies where the human main character had a crush/love-interest with a chimpanzee woman. It also says that many sci-fi/fantasy stories have the MC or another human character falling in love with another race, so why should this be any different?

Still...what do you think? Is it any different than any other story involving the human falling in love with an alien/other fantasy creature? Or does this shave too close to beastiality, and I need to change the Devonian's appearance to make them less cat-like?

2. simina

simina Active Member

I don't really think there's a problem. The Devonians resemble humans much more so than they resemble cats. It wouldn't encourage bestiality. If anything, it would encourage that people hook up with bipedal, anthropomorphic, horned cat-people. Which would be hard to come by. It will also definitely encourage furry fandom.

3. Link the Writer

I wouldn't be surprised if the furry fandom started making horned cat costumes if they ever read it...

And looking at the drawing I posted, maybe it's inaccurate to describe the Devonians as cat people. More like noseless elf people with horns, three fingers and tails.

4. simina

simina Active Member

Haha, yeah. I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Well just think Avatar - Neytiri is not human and she hisses and pounces on all fours a lot, and she fell in love with a human and no one batted an eyelid. Granted the guy had an avatar to look like one of her kind, but it's the same concept.

And please tell me the Devonians didn't come from Devon? :D

6. Link the Writer

I got the race name from a geological timeline. From what I understand, in the geography world, it came after the Silurian period of Paleozoic era.

And yeah, it probably isn't any different from all the other stories involving humans romancing non-human sentinent creatures.

7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

As long as they don't come from Devon, you're safe. Devon is a popular county in the south of England that's a big tourist attraction due to its beaches and rock cliffs :) If you google it you'll see.

And yeh you're fine with your story I think :) I'm trying to think of my instances of non-humans falling for humans. Right now all I have is Hercules from Disney.... God with human, not quite the same I guess.