1. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue New Member

James T. Kirk - Let the guessing begin!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Skipdonahue, Oct 12, 2007.

The new Star Trek movies goes into production next month. Alot of the cast has been announced, with the exception of Captain Kirk.

I heard a nasty rumor that Matt Damon was being considered, but I simply refuse to beleive that.

Which actor do you think would make a good Captain Kirk in his younger days?

Skip

2. Raven

Raven Banned

Again we talk my language. lol

Pegg Beamed In For Scotty

J.J. Abrams has found his "Scotty" - British actor Simon Pegg.
    Known for his comedic roles in "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz", Pegg also appeared as the technical wizard "Benji" in Abrams' hit "Mission: Impossible III."

The versatile Pegg joins Leonard Nimoy, Zachary Quinto, Anton Yelchin, Zoë Saldana and — just announced yesterday — Eric Bana in the upcoming film.

The as-yet-untitled project begins shooting next month, for release on Christmas 2008.

As for Mr Kirk. fair play to Damon he would carry the role well. However these guys intend on taking these characters through movies to a show back to movies. I doubt Damon would opt for tv. So the likes of Damon are very remote. Unless they offer him a large some to do the three movies and then the follow on show to finally end in the movies again.

Also Star Trek is set to do a new hash of Generation 3. Yuo its true. Berman has pretty much given the others full control and wishes nothing to do with the show after the magnificant flop they dared to call enterprise. I did like Bakula though as Capt Archer.

So trek is back on the up with bigger budgets ploughed into the franchise.

Looks like between movie one and movie two (11 & 12) that the generation 3 series will launch.

3. Raven

Raven Banned

Zoë Saldana Cast in J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" movie

Zoë Saldana is the latest actor set to join the bridge crew of the new J.J. Abrams-directed "Star Trek" movie, according to online trade news posted today. She will be playing Uhura.
    (Variety claims she has "signed on" for the role, whereas The Hollywood Reporter online says she is in "final negotiations.")

Saldana has appeared in a variety of films and TV shows in the past seven years including the first "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie and the surprise hit "Drumline." In "The Terminal" with Tom Hanks, she played a character who admitted to being a convention-going Trekkie, an airport passport officer named "Torres" (interesting). She was also featured in the short-lived Abrams-produced TV show Six Degrees (2006). Saldana is currently filming the James Cameron sci-fi feature "Avatar," which is scheduled to be in theaters in 2009.

Saldana steps into the shoes of Nichelle Nichols, who originated the part for Gene Roddenberry's show back in 1966. She joins the already-cast Zachary Quinto as Spock and Anton Yelchin as Chekov, with Leonard Nimoy also appearing as the older Spock.

Although the trades go on to report that the Abrams "Star Trek" film will revolve around the crew's early days at Starfleet Academy.
    Filming is set to commence in November of this year, with the release still slated for Christmas Day 2008.

4. Raven

Raven Banned

Big Movie News from Comic-Con

J.J. Abrams and his creative team for the new Star Trek movie wowed the audience at Comic-Con in San Diego this afternoon as they revealed a casting coup: Heroes star Zachary Quinto will be playing Spock! And, to the delight of all 6,500 in the capacity crowd, Leonard Nimoy joined Quinto on stage as Abrams confirmed the elder Spock's involvement in the new film.

5. Raven

Raven Banned

Australian actor Eric Bana, best known for his role in "Munich," will be playing a new villain called "Nero" in the J.J. Abrams-directed "Star Trek" movie, according to inside sources. Little else is known about this character, but based on Bana's past performances the Aussie hunk will make a fine antagonist.
    Production is slated to begin next month at Paramount, with a release date of Christmas Day 2008.

6. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue New Member

By generation 3, you mean Picard, Cisco, and Janeway time era correct?

7. Raven

Raven Banned

Nope. generation 3 is set 68 years after the events of Star Trek X Nemesis.

Either Picard or Riker will proberly do the usual guest role in the pilot but other than that its Enterprise new crew massive budget on a 26 episode franchise. Providing it doesn't flop within its 26 episode arch it will go on to do season by season like DS9 instead of a 7 year signing as Voyager Next gen and Enterpise all had.

But your looking at least 18 months to two years down the line. everything is really riding on the success of the Next trek film. if it flops then thats that for a few mote years if its a hit which it will be because the fan base alone will provide enough cash to support the film. Another series is confirmed to follow in generation 3 68 years from Picards Mob.

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Wow... That sounds decidedly cool. I can't remember the last time I watched Star Trek. I'm so gonna go and do that now :D

(Oh, and I heard that Damon had been considered for the role, but was rejected because he was too old for the protrayal of Kirk they wanted...)

9. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue New Member

Oh wow, 68 years after huh? I can't wait to see that! I've been slobbering from the jowls to see where the federation goes next.

10. Banzai

I'm not convinced it will be a good thing really. TNG was a bit iffy, because the whole Federation thing was so comfortable. At least DS9 plunged it into a bit more adversity, with the whole Dominion war. I just hope it's not a letdown...

11. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue New Member

I think there are still plenty of possibilities for conflict left in the Alpha and Deltra Quandrants. It's just a matter of whether or not they choose to follow that path or not, which I really think they need to. Star Trek has always been, more than anything, about the human journey set in space, but having a kick ass alien species breathing down your neck never hurt anything ;)

12. Banzai

Yeah, I agree. I just think perfection is a bad imagining of the future of humanity. We've never been too good at that... We usually find a way to screw things up.

13. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue New Member

Seriously, the elimination of currency on earth? LOL, never bought into that one in the Star Trek universe.

14. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

here ya go

Yahoo! Movies: Movie News -

15. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue New Member

The guy from The Princess Diaries.

Fantastic....

Lol, I'm sure the movie will still rock some socks.

Skip

16. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

hahaha

17. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Gah! If anything, the movie will serve as a revival of the Franchise. THerefor, it should be set in a new timeline, with a new cast of characters.

18. Isis

Isis New Member

If they're doing it about the old characters they should write and shoot the movie like it was still the sixties. But I'm sure they won't. Alas.

19. Raven

Raven Banned

I think the future for Star Treks return is looking good

20. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

HULLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEN! yay! ...... sry. Your back and I'm happy!

Erm.. star trek? I hope they get it on a decent time this time around, well, I know my mum would apprectiate it. The television producers tend to put good shows on around midnight.. :(

21. Raven

Raven Banned

lol.
    Yeah its been a strange week and very well different.

22. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

LOL. I know what you mean.... :)