1. Angel OD

Angel OD New Member

I need help with something

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Angel OD, Aug 27, 2008.

Hey guys, im currently writing my 3rd novel for this year, its called the Hellza EP. And I`m having problems writing the devleopment for this one character in my story, she`s a teenage girl with no aim in her life and in a twist of sad fate, she becomes a serial killer at age 14. I`ve studied serial killers and it seems like they kant function that good in society, The character in my book follows that same pattern. But I kant help but to feel thats not good enough to make her a strong enough character to hold on her own. Got Any ideas?

2. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

It most certainly is good enough. The very fact of the matter is, serial killers can't function well in society, so that needs to be a big factor, because it's a HUGE reason why they are serial killers in the first place. It's more or less the most consistent element in the history of serial killers. But the key is, you should show it, not just tell it.

3. Angel OD

Angel OD New Member

thanks! Yea I`m writing about the character`s mom and how violent she was, thus, creating kind of a genetic makeover of the character`s life overall. K thanks! :D

4. AmberDextrose

AmberDextrose New Member

Maybe you could write loads of notes about the character or some short skits that have no intention (at this stage) of being in your story.

I find this helps to tease out info that I didn't know I was going to produce. You tend to realise the points where you're resorting to cliché or presuming things that don't work quite quickly when you do this.

Some times the stuff you develop can end up going in the story anyway, or at least influencing it.

Could you do some research specifically on Child Killers? There have certainly been plenty in history, so there will be commentary all over the web on what made these kids do it.

5. Angel OD

Angel OD New Member

I`m almost 120 pages into the book LOL. I`ve done my research on child killers, Mary bell is my favorite one of all of them! :D

6. ciavyn

ciavyn New Member

Actually - I would argue that serial killers can't get along in normal society. Ted Bundy did so. Granted, it started to deteriorate as he aged, but for some time, he seemed to do very well for himself.

You may want to research the psychology, if you haven't already. One does not "become" a serial killer - it is usually a deep seated personality disorder or a quirk in the brain that gives us our serial killers.

Good luck - well written, and you could have a great story on your hands.