1. nobalance109

nobalance109 New Member

How can a production of Macbeth go horribly wrong?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by nobalance109, Feb 27, 2013.

SO I'm almost done a new play I'm writing. It's about a theater doing Macbeth. My whole play is building up to the opening night of the production, and I want this to be the worst production ever, where everything just goes wrong (Kind of like "Inspecting Carol" if anyone's seen that) I'm trying to think of scenes that can go horribly and hilariously wrong, but am falling short. Was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions, the more hilarious, the better.

2. Bimber

Bimber New Member

So you come up with the theme and ask people to give you a plot? whats the fun in that?
    Come up with a few ideas and than toss them around and see what others say, dont expect to hand you ideas for your own story thats a really bad habit, let your own mind work and be creative.

3. nobalance109

nobalance109 New Member

That isn't the plot, that is just a part of the play. The plot is about a theater doing Macbeth, like I said before, and the protagonist is a really bad actor, who just wants his one chance to be the lead. So his girlfriend tells him that he probably won't get the part on talent alone, so he should probably think of other ways to get the lead. So in the end, he kills the lead, gets to be Macbeth, and continues killing to make sure he's still the lead by opening night. Now that it's opening night, I want to play to completely fall apart, and I'm stuck on thinking of ways to make that happen.

It's really just a small part of the play, and not the entire thing.

4. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Sure it is its just not the main plot, its not that we are bad people here and dont want to help you out, its just by helping you like this were'r not doing you any favors.

The way i solve this kind of problem is by asking myself all sort of questions, the more questions you come up with the more ideas you get. Now i dont know much about your MC and the idea of "mass murder comedy" is kind of hard to swallow, unless you show your MC from the start as a unstable person.

Now the sort of question you can ask:
    -what would make me laugh if i went to a play and saw
    -does he keep forgetting his lines and says other things instead?
    -is he clumsy and keeps tripping over his legs and into other actors?
    -is he easy to distract and keeps looking at the audience
    -what if he was'nt the killer but it was some other man who killed people and this poor soul got to be the next in line and the real killer is Lady Mcbeth dressed as a man which we find out at the end, and he keeps sabotaging the play to make the MC look bad or get him killed, like slip something in his drink making him want to go to the bathroom every couple of min?

The more you get to know who your MC is and how he thinks and why he does the things he does the easier for you will be to come up with ideas.

Hope this helps

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please do not post the same question in multiple threads.

6. nobalance109

nobalance109 New Member

Noted...sorry.