1. naruzeldamaster

naruzeldamaster Senior Member

Looking for some 'boss' ideas in a story that's 'like' a video game.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by naruzeldamaster, Aug 17, 2021.

So at least two of my story ideas are based on video games, the characters are aware of 'stats' and 'hp bars ' and the like, particularly in Otakus save the world and even more so JRPG (Just Random Protagonists Grinding).

In Otakus save the world I want the various defense systems of the temples to be references to stuff and famous beasts from literature. I have a few ideas for some 'joke' bosses like Nyan cat, but I otherwise want them to be more serious references.

For example the Fire Temple has an 'Elementary' defense system that is a giant mechanical Hound that's got Glowing white eyes and surrounded in flames, it's name is Basker-vile. If you haven't figured the reference out by the name, that's a Sherlock Holmes reference.

I might consider one of the bosses to be a phantom train being a reference to a particular summon in the final fantasy series, but that's rather dodgy since you know, copyright. Basker-vile is even a touch sketchy in terms of copyright but I think the copyright on that particular novel has expired.

2. Mullanphy

Mullanphy Banned

Not being snarky when I say, "If I come up with ideas for stories, I'll use 'em rather than give 'em away." because ideas are harder to come by than actually putting them in a story format.

However, it looks as though you've already devised a couple good ones, :superagree:so my suggestion is to write them. Good luck.

3. naruzeldamaster

I still intend to put my own spin on it heh, I'm just more looking for monster names (literally just the names of the monsters itself, I don't know much literature) that have been used in fiction, to look into rather than 'ideas' in a general sense.
    I want to avoid boring stuff like Cerberus (I already have a fire doggo) and even Hydra.

For example Baskerville Hound is a Giant Mechanical Hound surrounded in flames with flaming white eyes, at least if the Sherlock Holmes excerpt in The Great Ace Attorney is accurate.

To clarify I'm mostly just looking for monster names to look into, not ideas on how to depict them or write them, though I suppose it's my bad for not making that clearer in my OP. ^=^;

I do intend to use Baskerville Hound as the boss of the fire temple and the other two (Nyan Cat and Narwhale, yup) though.

4. samgallenberger

samgallenberger Member

Kaiju
    The monsters in the dark universe
    Stephen King monsters
    Moby Dick or other animals/characters from classic stories
    Characters from Greek or Norse mythology
    Etc.

5. Stephen1974

Stephen1974 Active Member

BOSS MUSIC.

You must find away to incorporate boss music, or they ain't a boss.

6. naruzeldamaster

There's actually a set of two or three skits that poke fun at 'background' music in video games.
    The joke is that only people who's senses are finely tuned can hear it.
    And the theme songs for Narwhale and Nyan Cat play while they're fighting them as enemies.
    The characters attribute both songs as a means of psychological torture :p

7. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

The great orange consumer, Trumpotus.