1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Resources - fiction about cro magnon and neanderthals

Discussion in 'Research' started by Steerpike, Jul 5, 2011.

Anyone know of fiction that takes place when cro magnons (or AMHs if you prefer) and neanderthals walked the earth at the same time. I know about Clan of the Cave Bear, and that series, but don't know of others. If you have read others would you recommend them?

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear write historical novels about early Native Americans. They're called The First North Americans series and all 16 books start with People of the in the title. Of the 16 books the ones I think you'd be interested in by time period are the first one, People of the Wolf, the fifth one, People of the Sea, and the fourteenth, People of the Nightland.

3. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

There is a series of really good documentaries on the BBC at the moment about the different humanoid species. It's really interesting - maybe you could find a copy of it somewhere. It's sort of a mixture of fiction and nonfiction - other than that sorry.

4. Steerpike

@Trish: Thanks. I will pick up at least the first one. It is about 15-20,000 years after the time period I am thinking of, and Neanderthals would have been gone, leaving modern humans. But it does look like it may be interesting, and I would like to see how the authors handle the culture. Good recommendation.

@darkhaloangel: Thank for the heads up. I get some version of BBC on cable - maybe I'll look for it there, or wait to see if it is made available via Netflix. That sort of documentary interests me.

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

You're welcome, and I know that... I checked, lol. But I very clearly remember (I've read all of them) one of them coming across neanderthals. It might have been People of the Sea, I've been trying to remember which one. They are archaeologists and they made things educational and mostly accurate, but they did take some liberties here and there....

6. Steerpike

That sounds interesting, Trish. Looking forward to it. Of course, no one knows precisely when the Neanderthals went extinct, so there is always some room to have fun with the time lines. I think their remains disappear around 30,000 years ago, but there is other evidence that they may have stuck around for a few thousand years. I haven't heard of anything more recent than 20,000 years ago, which isn't too far from the time period where humans start crossing into North America, so who knows :)