1. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Indian vs Western or European children

Discussion in 'Research' started by dannyboy, Jul 15, 2011.

Hi

I'm interested in writing children fiction stories to impart moral values and create awareness to get them become organised in their lives. I don't want it to be too serious nor too humorous I would definitely love to strike a balance. I'm looking out help from every one on this forum please....

I want some interesting facts from you as how do you teach kids good habits in your country and how do you get them to follow your instructions. I need to admit that India is struggling with children being taught good habits, or being taught to he organised. I just don't to remain a person who is ashamed of these things however want to bring about a change and I thought I can do it with my writing. I can't straighten a bent tree but I can help a plant grow straight. I'm sure you will understand where I'm coming from... Please share your practices and experiences with me about moulding your child....

Thanks

Dannyboy

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what market will you be writing for?... the us, or indian?

3. CottonCandi

CottonCandi Active Member

Would this be kid kids or YA?

4. CosmicHallux

CosmicHallux New Member

I think it really depends on what you are trying to teach them.

My thoughts are that, usually, children learn good habits (or bad) by watching adults who model those behaviors. Their brains are designed to soak in information this way. The way that the adults treat the children also teaches the child how they should treat other people. Adults can discuss things with children, but I think that what the children actually see or experience tends to stick better.

I think it is good for children to be given responsibility, love, and basic respect, so that they learn that they have something to contribute to the world. And when adults clearly state the expectations and consequences for either meeting, or not meeting those expectations. Children love their parents and other role models, and want to please them and imitate them.

Children also learn from natural consequences. If they leave a doll outside and it gets rained on and ruined, then they learn that their actions can bring bad consequences. If they do something nice for another child, and the other child thanks them and becomes their friend, then they learn the consequences are good. In a story, the author can control the good and bad consequences of the character's actions. If the child can see themselves in the character, then they can vicariously experience the lessons that the character goes through. Because children are so powerless, they may be motivated by a character that is independent, well liked, and successful.

5. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

The biggest flaw is patronising children, followed shortly by not understanding that they are children. When they make a mistake, they make it for the first time - don't be too harsh, you'll scar them. You can't mould a child, but you can give it the best advice, and live the best way possible so hopefully the choices they make will serve them well.

Uk.

6. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

I would like to write for the Indian Market however would like to ensure that there are some lessons that are followed in the U.S by children and not in India, for exmple Brushing their teeth twice a day, I've seen it in lots of families in the U.S and the U.K and rarely in India. I was shocked when a 4 year old Kid going to CA in the U.S from India on American airlines with me just a stranger next to the little boy and the boy was very polite and used his manners through out his conversation with me. I definitely don't find it very often in India. I'm trying to impart good values by getting schools in India interested in my short stories that impart good moral values and how it should be implemented in their day to day lives.