1. Stormfire

Stormfire New Member

Novel length

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Stormfire, Dec 30, 2007.

I have a piece of a novel that I would like to post in the novel section to be reviewed, but I don't know if there is a recommended limit. It is currently at 10,308 words, but not divided into specific chapters. Should I split it up a bit then post it?

2. Hulk

Hulk Banned

There is a section in this forum, where you can get a detailed review of a part of your novel as long as its not more than 8,000 words.

3. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Sorry, it is upto 8,500 words, and you can give it for reviewing in the :-

'Reviewing' -> 'Advanced review process (story submission)'

4. Stormfire

Stormfire New Member

Okay, I suppose I can leave some out. Thanks :)

5. Hulk

Hulk Banned

If you have any other queries, feel free to ask.

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

You can also send a pm a reviewer and ask them if they would mind reviewing it privately if you so wish to go that way. But definately look at placing the piece in the advanced reviewing process.

That way you will be more than likely to get the quality review that you are obviously seeking.

Torana

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The thing to keep in mind that the larger the sample offered up for critique, the shallower the review will be, of necessity. However, if all the mechanical aspects of the writing are to your satisfaction, and you only wish to address the entire piece in terms of plot and character development, then requesting a review of the piece in its entirety may be the only way to get that review.

However, if the low level aspects such as SPAG and sentence structure, dialog, and pacing have not been ironed out, the reviewer will probably only review a short excerpt anyway to point out those issues.

The site itself is not set up to handle anything as lengthy as a novel. Before asking a member to review an entire novel, it would still, in my opinion, be advantageous to post excerpts for review first. Other eyes may spot writing habits that you have overlooked, and may even be significant enough you will wish to perform a revision pass.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

You're welcome to PM me your story (I'll critique it if it's 10,000 words so that's not a problem). However, if I read a small part of it and find that there are many easily fixable errors (i.e. spelling errors, bad punctuation) then I'll send it right back to you and ask that you fix those first. It just helps save time for me.

Otherwise you can split the chapter up into sections and post them one after another in the same thread, provided you give a little time for members to tackle each section before you post up the next part.

Edit: Ha! Cogito posted a better summary just before me. But at least you understand the situation now.

9. Stormfire

Stormfire New Member

Thanks, this all helps. :D

10. Raven

Raven Banned

Your welcome.