1. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth Active Member

What is my Point of View?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by SashaMerideth, Sep 18, 2010.

I'm not very good with my Point of View. I'm trying to write using this one, but I don't know what it is called, or what the rules are.

The Point of View is someone that is only aware of things around one character, and what goes on in the mind of this one character. Is this a good point of view, and does it have rules that I need to obey?

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Are you using "I" to refer to this character or their name? If "I" then it's first person, if their name it's limited third person. You've already laid out the rules there for either one - you can only tell things from their perspective - no thoughts or anything else that can be linked to another character's opinion; everything the main character sees has to be observed through a filter of them. Obviously if it was 1st person it would all be their thoughts, but the 3rd person one it would be your interpretation of their thoughts, and would leave you more room for concealing things from the reader - if you go into a more distanced third person which doesn't tell *anyone's* thoughts during the time you need to hide their feelings... You could probably get away with it for a couple of paragraphs with no one noticing until too late if you picked your words carefully. :p

Erm, I just got out of bed, so I'll let the rest of the forum tell you the other benefits of it. :p *too tired to remember them all*

3. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I you writit in "I" form.
    "I looked around the room, and then I saw the book." then is called first person limited point of view. Limited=Only what the character knows.

If you write it in "You" form (very rare)
    "You looked around the room, and then you saw the book." It is called second person limited point of view.

If you write it in "he/she" form
    "She looked around the room, and then she saw the book." It is called third person limited point of view.

All of there are good ways to write a story, and got their advantages and disadvantaged.

4. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

Yeah, point of view is not only one but varies depending on where you are positioned as a storyteller. You either are the character or talk about them. I believe that the 'second person POV' would rather be a mix of those two (I am the one talking about/to THEM).
    I actually found out that switching between those could sometimes be really cool. I've read a novel recently that was told from a 3rd person POV but half way through one of the characters got separated from the main storyline and characters and what he went through was in a 1st person POV, quite refreshing.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This may help: What's Your Point (of View)?