1. Gazzola

Gazzola Member

Grammar Verbs Thesaurus similar to the Emotion Thesaurus?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Gazzola, Jul 18, 2016.

Hi all. I did a search for this in the forum but the closest I got was the discussion in the "What works best" and "Need help expanding concrete vocabulary" topics.

As a non native English speaker I sometimes have trouble coming up with the correct verb to express an action. For example, yesterday I wanted to write that a tired horse was walking slowly and with difficulty, so I typed "Walk synonyms" in Google and went through the search engine's suggestions until I found the word "trudge".

Unfortunately, at least a few days a month I can't use the Internet (visiting parents who live in the country), so I wanted to know if there was something like "The Emotion Thesaurus" for verbs. Something were I could lookup "Talk" and see all different ways to talk - babble, chatter, whisper, murmur, stammer - and what each of them mean. Preferably for download to Kindle.

I know that there are Thesaurus for Kindle, but considering how poor of a job the online version does, compared to Google, and how many of them there are to choose from, I was afraid of wasting money for nothing. The exchange rate from Dollar to my local currency is murder.

Does anyone know of such a book/resource that doesn't require an Internet connection? Or can point me to a good version of the English Thesaurus for Kindle?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Closest I'm aware of is this. Where meanings are grouped. It might be a 'pay to play' affair mind.

3. Gazzola

Gazzola Member

@SethLoki, sorry for taking so long to answer. I took a look at it, but is seems it depends on an internet connection? I needed something that could be installed in a smartphone or a notebook. Anyway, thank you for the suggestion.

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think you just need a regular thesaurus, don't you? Like--a standard thesaurus includes verbs...

There are lots of them available on Kindle at Amazon - I'd suggest you just browse through those and find one you like.