1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Gunmen holding hostages in Sydney cafe

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Steerpike, Dec 15, 2014.

2. James Random

James Random Member

Hopefully the Gunmen can be lured out with the promise of barbecue and beer and maybe a helicopter.

3. The O'Rahilly

The O'Rahilly New Member

Awful. Hope all the hostages get out unharmed. Just going for a coffee - it's sad.

4. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I'm just waiting for someone to start arguing that this wouldn't have happened if Australians had more guns.

Christopher Snape. likes this.
  5. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

It's a fair point. I mean, there's never been any mass killings or hostage situations in America.

Seriously though, it was an expected situation. There's been a lot of friction with the extremist Islamic groups here, with raids recently stopping a similar planned attack in Martin Place (the location of the siege).

Hopefully this was poorly planned, as they haven't killed anyone or made demands. Although it's worrying that they may be waiting for enough media attention to make their point. But the guy looks older than expected, with a greying beard, and is probably alone. He probably realizes he has bitten off more than he can chew.

Sydney is over-reacting a bit though. These incidents are so rare in Australia we tend to go a bit overboard. They've practically shut down half the city. The threat of further attacks is pretty much over now. Hopefully this is resolved soon, the Aussie way. With no bloodshed and months of current affairs exclusive interviews with hostages.

Personally, I'm worried about the backlash against the peaceful Muslim community by zealous right-wing extremists. They're going to fight back. That's a given. I expect the Mosque near my work to receive more of the bomb and death threats they received after the terror raids.

6. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I know, right! It's because the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. As most of our shootings end in suicide, they are conveniently the same guy.

7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Shit, I hope everyone gets out alive. Finnish news are reporting about a connection to ISIS. And it's just one guy.

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Maybe. I still think it's good to take that precaution though.

I hope this whole thing is resolved quickly - I've woke up to the news. I mean, I hope there are no innocent deaths. As someone who is thinking of moving out to Australia I'm finding this story particularly interesting.

9. Boger

Boger Senior Member

Insert Wallace quote

10. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

It'll take a while. There's no rush. Attrition is the best way to end a seige. It's a cafe so there's food and water. The police are going to just wait it out. A bit sick of every major TV station reporting on nothing happening and calling in every expert under the sun. Oh well. At least it's not so common we don't even blink.

11. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

2 dead hostages, multiple wounded, hostage taker also dead.

Sounds like he started shooting, but the police are not saying yet, maybe after some more got out.

He sounds like a real creep, was due in court for sentencing as an accomplice to his wife's murder.

Christopher Snape. and Steerpike like this.
  12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yeah, apparently he'd been previously charged as an accessory to murder of his ex-wife, with sexual assault of another woman, and wrote a lot of threatening letters to people. Makes you wonder why this guy was walking around free.