Tags:
  1. Green Faery

Green Faery New Member

Surnames

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Green Faery, Jun 6, 2009.

Ok so my character's name is Leila, she's a little bitchy but the root of that is her lack of family and friends. She is ultimitely a strong character, and has a lot of association with the ocean. She's living in the late 1700's. She's french, has black hair, blue eyes, and her face structure looks like this: http://earthfirst.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/summer-rayne-oakes.jpg
    Which surname do you think suits her best?
    Ponthieux
    Prevatt
    Poissant
    Prononvost

2. zorell

zorell New Member

To be honest, every reader would see your character differently, so I wouldn't try to associate her surname with a look.

That said, I think Leila Poissant has a nice flow (lee-lah pwa-sahn) I just like it:)

Prevatt might be suitable as well...(lee-lah preh-vaht)

Prononvost just seems cumbersome in my opinion (lee-lah pro-non-vost, lee-lah pron-o-envos)

Is Ponthieux (pohn-theh-yeauh), if so, I think it, too, would be cumbersome.

"Leila Poissant, that bit**?" Just seems, nice in an un-nice way....

3. Green Faery

Green Faery New Member

Thanks so much! Funnily enough, Poissant derives from the french word for fish... and she does have mermaid blood. I think I'll go with that one. Prevatt was my second choice, as it sounds like "bratt." lol.