1. dazbizkit

dazbizkit Member

Switching perspectives

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by dazbizkit, Mar 8, 2010.

I'm planning and plotting out ideas for a story I'm working on. And in one scene I need to change perspectives between two characters (Start the chapter with one character's perspective, then switch half way through).

What's the best way to do it without confusing the reader. Or should I do it at all?

Thanks!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Do it at a scene boundary, preferably (not required, but easier) one in which your previous POV character is absent.

But if you have stuck with the first POV for entire chapters prior to this, it would be best to put a chapter break at the POV switchover.

3. dazbizkit

dazbizkit Member

Thanks Cogito. That's a good idea with the chapter break.

I'll explain the chapter as briefly as I can. The MC is pursuing the antagonist, and has him trapped in an apartment block. After a short gun fight they are caught in a stalemate. While the MC has taken cover he gets a phone call. This is the other character that I want to change the perspective to. The supporting character says she's going to come to his aid asap, if he can keep the antagonist trapped long enough.

I was going to end the chapter at that stalemate. Then continue the action in the next chapter, in the supporting characters POV.

I thought at the time this would be the best method but could throw off the pace of the action. I was also considering the chapter break but didn't want to confuse some readers.