1. david.r

david.r New Member

New here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by david.r, May 23, 2009.

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I've written a novel and I'm giving it away for free so I can get some good feedback on my writing. Expect to see more of me around here. Hope to make some good contacts and exchange some valuable writing ideas.

2. wishcharlie

wishcharlie Active Member

Hi David R,
    It's very nice to meet you. What do you mean you're giving it away for free... as in your emailing it to people/friends? What kind of novel? Tell me more I'm curious...

3. david.r

david.r New Member

That was a quick response. No, I'm just posting it on my website, in the hope that I'll get some decent feedback in response and generate a bit of a buzz around my name. I wrote this novel last year, and I spent a good six months running rings around the hundreds of submission processes at publishers and agents, but to no avail. So I figured I'd just take matters into my own hands, skip the middle man, and let everybody read it.

The way I've done it, is to serialize it on my website, and then make it available to buy for real for anybody who doesn't want to wait for updates. It's working pretty well. I'm getting a decent number of hits and some good feedback. Only time will tell if it works out for real, and I can find myself published in the future.

4. wishcharlie

wishcharlie Active Member

Wow, that's an interesting idea... I wonder if it'll work.
    Definitely going to check that out. Thanks.

5. david.r

david.r New Member

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello David, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Our rules prohibit you using this site to advertise your book or the site you offer it upon. However, you are welcome to remain as a member of our writing community.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

7. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

hey Dave, good luck on your novel; I too hope you will get some good contacts, criticisms, etc. (maybe even some fans?:rolleyes:) This forum is a great place for people like us, I hope to see you around and exchange words and ideas with you.

8. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi and welcome :)