1. tanvi02

tanvi02 New Member

which is your favourite gothic character??

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by tanvi02, Aug 25, 2010.

you must have read many gothic novels...which is the one that you think is really spine chilling?? or tell me if you have any favourite...

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Not sure if they are gothic or not lol The first is probably a bit late to be gothic. My top two are

Felice Bault/Annette Ravel in Agatha Christie's short story The Fourth Man in the Hound of Death book. Terrified the life out of me when I was about 10 lol and still does at 34. In my opinion noone can write spine chilling quite as well as Agatha Christie her psychological ability to get inside you is amazing.

Annabel Lee the Edgar Allan Poe, Poem

3. Lyssaur

Lyssaur New Member

Lestat from Anne Rice's Vampire series. x)
    He's always been so...creepy to me.

4. Phlogiston

Phlogiston New Member

It has to be Steerpike from Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels. A wonderfully dark, complex character who embodies perhaps the best and worst aspects of all of us. The urge to self-improve to the point of self-destruction.

As another, I would suggest the eponymous hero of Marlowe's play Dr. Faustus. A wonderfully gothic character.

Edit: Just noted the excessive use of the word 'wonderfully'. Oh well.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yeah, I second Steerpike (not surprisingly).

I also found the twins from Gormenghast to be rather creepy.

But Peake has a bunch of great characters, with names like Abiatha Swelter (the cook), Mr. Flay, Dr. Prunesquallor, etc. Great stuff.