1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Anyone use Linux?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Steerpike, Sep 29, 2010.

Just thought I'd check.

Right now I am using Linux Mint 9 fluxbox edition, set up in dual boot mode with Window 7 (actually I am in Windows as I type this, which I keep around only for games and Netflix instant-view).

Linux has some great free tools available. I like Pyroom for writing, though I know many who use OpenOffice or AbiWord, or even a small editor like Kate, when they write.

Anyway - where are the rest of you Linux folks? And what distro do you use?

2. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth Active Member

My boyfriend gave me an EEE netbook for my birthday. Before he gave it to me, he put on the ubuntu for netbooks. It's kinda small, but I think it's cute.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I'm not a terribly geeky person but up until I bought this puter a couple of months ago we used linux exclusively from September 2002 we started out with either Slackware or Mandrake 7- Mythbuntu runs our TV right now but this one is MINE and a strictly do not change the blooming operating system and confuddle your wife with a learning curve every few months, so I am stuck with Windows 7 until the guarantee runs out. I did help run a computer repair consultancy most of our clients used mostly opensource software it made sense for us to do so as we did support packages and we had to do less long term support for Linux than others:)

I still have OpenOffice, The GIMP and Firefox that I use. I manage to produce impressive websites with OpenOffice and the GIMP - kept getting offered jobs with webdesign firms until they realised how I had made them lol Plus Tux is so cute - OpenOffice makes documents look prettier than Word I personally find.

4. Steerpike

Yeah, I use GIMP even in Windows as my preferred image editor. I like Windows 7 well enough. A big improvement on Vista in terms of resource usage, etc. But my heart remains with Linux :)

The Ubuntu netbook remix is pretty cool. There are some other nice distros made specifically for netbooks.

5. Steerpike

What desktop manager do you like to use? Most people seem to like Gnome or KDE, and they're both pretty cool, but I prefer Fluxbox or Openbox because it is FAST.

6. Elgaisma

I am very definitely a KDE - the man in my life uses ratpoison and I swing for him if I find gnome on my desktop. I am seriously missing the multiple desktops, especially with the writing it would be useful to have different documents in different places.

7. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I totally did not get into Linux for the aircrack-ng suite. I totally do not leach interwebs from my neighbors. But the more I learn it, the more I love it.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Keep this thread about Linux, NOT Linux vs Windows vs Mac.

9. Elgaisma

I got into Linux because my geek of a husband put it on the computer lol - but I do miss a few elements of it.

10. Chudz

Chudz New Member

I started with Ubuntu 8.04 and then compiled a stack of CDs for different distros, as I went on an exploration spree. Eventually, I came back to Ubuntu as my main (10.04), and am running Mint 9-something in a virtual box for experimental, I don't care if it blows up stuff.

What are some of the other "cool" Linux programs you use? I really like "Artha" a dictionary app that you can highlight a word and hit a key-combo to bring up the def. However, it doesn't have as much depth as I'd like. I also like "Tasque" as a to-do list app. Plus I managed to get the latest version of YWriter working passably, which is nice.

11. Steerpike

I just loaded Ubuntu 10.10. Very nice. Of course, I've still got my Mint 9 Fluxbox Edition.

I like Pyroom for writing - full screen text editor.

Scribus is good for desktop publishing.

Ubuntu has the Empathy chat client and Gwibber social net client, so you can chat in facebook, gmail, yahoo, msn, etc. all from one app, and update your Facebook and other social sites if you like to use those.

I like Okular for PDFs, Chromium for browsing, and Kigo for playing Go :)

12. Elgaisma

Not sure what we have lol I just use them. I know they are OpenSource rather than Linux. I want a Linux laptop next year - not sure which kernel to go for. But think I need to be able to write sat in bed :) My husband was one of the first people to get a Sony Vaio running entirely under Linux, at the time he had to rewrite some of the kernel - I would love one of them, need to save up they are about 1,500 less than when he did it.

I know we do scribus, gimp, openoffice, firefox, something to watch photo slideshows on - I love the games, just how many kinds of solitaire does one girl need :) VLC so I don't need to use up my download limit on youtube. Using Scribus, Gimp and OpenOffice I managed to put together several websites that got me offered jobs at three web design firms until they realised how I had done them lol

13. AutumnsFall

AutumnsFall New Member

Linux is used for a lot of different reasons.

I use Windows 7. But, I use a Virtual Machine and run both Ubuntu, and Black Track 4.

Ubuntu is just to mess around with, and BT4 is used to find out forgotten WEP passwords.

I run a small out of my home computer tech business...so I need BT4. Even though if you google it, you'll find it is mainly used to do some Black Hat stuff.