1. sfr

sfr New Member

Exercise

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sfr, Jul 7, 2008.

How many people here run, cycle, lift weights, or swim? I cycle now and run a bit, I used to run more. I have run a half marathon and cycled one hundred miles. I live 25 miles from Stanford University in Palo Alto California and I rode there today it was cool. I lift weights 2-3 times a week and swim ocasionally to get all the kinks out. Does anyone find physical activity as addictive as mental activity? Two totally different feelings but they help each other a lot in my opinion. I couldn't exercise without mental ability, and vise versa to a degree. What are your thoughts on their connection. I wouldn't want to live without either, but if I had to chose I would rather be able to exercise than to study. What do you guys think about that assesment? It's kinda like choosing between being blind or deaf, well not really but what I'm trying to say is that both are so vital in people's lifes, that's why its a difficult question, let me know what you think about it. peace.

2. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I'm absolutely addicted to working out. I jog and life weights 6 days a week, yoga 3 days a week, pilates 3 days a week.

When I can't work out, I become irritated, edgy and eventually a royal diva b***h.

It's about quality of life for me. I want my obit to read that I died in my sleep at 105 after 3 days skiing the fall line at Angelfire. Not that I died in a local nursing home after a lengthy illness.

3. vivo_neco

vivo_neco New Member

Same here.

I take the dog for a mile walk every day, and do jogging, running, rowing and aerobics four days in a week. I'd like to cycle too, but that's hard to do where I live - steep hills are hard to get to grips with when you’re a beginner - so I’m saving up for an exercise bike.

I find exercise very … uplifting, if that’s the right word. If I’m feeling down, doing half an hour of rowing or something can really lift my spirits, but then so can writing or reading.

If I had to choose between exercise and study, I think I’d go for study. I like exercising, but I don't think I'm addicted to it. :)

4. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I love running...I usually run 40 miles a week (6-7 miles a day). I ran a half-marathon a few years ago and I'm aiming for another half this fall...I'd love to do a full someday though!

In addition to the running, I also swim and lift weights (occasionally...when my husband talks me into it!). I really enjoy exercising too and I don't think I could function without it. It is definitely a time for ME where I can't be interrupted or distracted by silly things.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I walk everyday before I sit down and write.
    I find my ideas are more connected and more clearly thought out if I do.

6. LagunaX1

LagunaX1 New Member

I don't exercise at all... I am sooooo lazy lol, Yet I have the metabolism of a... I must research into animals with amazing metabolisms to make this metaphor more effective in the future XD

Anyway, I don't exercise at all really, except when I walk the dog, I eat like a pig, yet I'm pretty slim, have been for ages. Although as I near 20 I seem to have been getting a little fat around the stomach, so once I start Uni, I'm thinking of joining a Tennis Club and maybe going to the gym.

7. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

I jog 3 miles on weekdays and 5 on weekends.

8. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I get my exercise by biking and walking pretty much everywhere. I might not look like it, but I can endure the pants off of many people.

9. The Essential Writer

The Essential Writer New Member

I only Exercise so I can stay healthy (and in turn, live longer. That's the main reason.) Call me ignorant, but that is why I exercise ( to live longer! )

10. The Essential Writer

The Essential Writer New Member

Go Metabolism Go!

11. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Sounds wise. I don't know why it would be called ignorant.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Exercise is wonderful. I could watch it all day. :)

13. assassins creed

assassins creed Banned

I used to train and teach in the martial arts for around eleven years. Throughout the course of training I used to go jogging twice a day three times a week. The first bit of running I did would be a mild jog between 5-10 miles early in the morning. in the evening I would increase that to 15 miles.

This helped me immensely with my fitness, stamina, speed, concentration and determination in relation to the martial arts and well being.

I also enjoyed cycling which I used to do everyday cycling all over the city. Sometimes My friends and I would go for "a spin down the countryside" on our bikes and find a suitable field to rest for a little while and do a little bit of sparring. :eek::eek:

14. Killjoy

Killjoy New Member

Frankly, I find exercising to exercise one of the most boring things on the earth. I am a beginner cyclist and I really enjoy that because of the independence, and the countryside I can ride through :) There's no way I could regularly go out just for a ride in a city.

I am learning Karate, which I thoroughly enjoy aswell. And I surf constantly, which I love.

But like I said, I don't think I'd ever go to a gym, I'd be bored out of my skull.

15. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I used to swim everyday...and now I am not able to, I miss the intensity and the push of working through the stress of the day. There is just something so incredibly satisfying when it come to pushing the physical limits of my body.

I had missed it so much, when I was playing tennis the other day, I was out a half hour longer than I had ever been before. I loved it. :D

Physical exercise is just something that I crave now... I am happy I am into it.

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

here's my take on the subject...

i am a writer
    writers don't exercise, they sit!

besides, exercise is against my religion... ;-)

17. lessa

lessa New Member

I walk everywhere around town most of the time.
    I don't drive so walking is my means of getting from one place to another.
    Don drives me home from the grocery store on grocery day.
    I have always loved walking, Used to take off at 7am Saturday mornings and would return home around 6pm.
    I used to love riding but the area we live in has the hardest longest hills in all of Canada so the biking is long gone.
    Now I walk on the treadmill when my back lets me.
    I now rarely walk to the second grocery store and make do with the smaller closer one on good days.
    I hate not being able to walk the way I used to. But that is life.

18. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I hate working out but I go jogging and cyclying a few times a week. I only do it to loose some weight though, realy aint a fan.