1. Moira

Moira New Member

Too attached!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Moira, Jun 18, 2008.

So I started out a story knowing that the main character, a girl, was going to have to choose between one guy or the other. It's also obvious who she's going to have to pick. Kind of like Edward and Jacob in the Twilight series. Turns out that I like the guy she's not going to get with more. Kind of like Jacob in the the Twilight series. I don't know what to do because she has to be with the guy who was chosen in the beginning. I know she does. It's just hard to except.

Well, that's all. This was more of a vent than anything else. Lol. Feedback would be nice, though I don't know what you'd say. :D

-Moira

2. Titania

Titania New Member

If commiseration helps, I've spent a very long time postponing the writing of a certain scene in my novel because one of my favorite characters dies. It's terrible. I know that he has to die for the plot to advance, for the protagonist to have the proper motivation, etc. And yet still... *sigh*

So all I'm saying is, you're not alone :) Welcome to the site by the way.

3. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

I know how that feels, knowing something is going to happen in your story that inevidable yet you don't want it to happen because you like how things are going or grow attached to a character.

Let's see, I have a story I'm writing where the main character is a likable, brave, free-spirited guy who never gives up and fights evil for all the right reasons aside from his best friend (who is also a main character) who succumbs to evil and tries to kill the main character. The friend is shown the error of his ways at the cost of the main character's life and to me it sucks :D

4. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

Well...what if your ending needs to change? A lot of the time, I let my characters dictate where my plot goes. I'm constantly re-writing things as I learn more about my characters. So unless it's absolutely necessary to the plot, why can't she end up with the other guy?

If there is a valid reason why, then you're just going to have to suck it up...and you're definitely not alone :) I am not looking forward to killing off one of my characters...which is perhaps why I'm stalling on getting back to writing my novel. I can't bring myself to do it!

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I deliberately don't get attatched to my characters. I remind myself that they are all human, and all expendable, and even the main character could die at any moment, if that's what the story requires. That said, there was one character who I based on an old friend, and then later had to kill, and that was emotional. But in that case, it was because I
    allowed myself to become attatched, breaking my own rule.

6. Marloy

Marloy New Member

I agree with that. There is always room for change, and I already know about that, because I'm doing it all the time.

As the story goes on there might come a place where you'll have the oppurtunity to ask yourself that. Even if you feel it is necesary there will always be room to consider. And I also know what that's like because I always get attached to my characters, even the unimportant ones. If I ever am going to let a character go I make sure I don't get attached them and are already ready to let them go by the time I start writing.

My advice would be to make sure that is the absolute road to take and if you can't avoid it, just go through with it the best you can! :)

7. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

I have problems npt getting attacted to my characters but I also find it helps in some way.
    That's why I don't roleplay anymore because it kills me whan bad things happen to my character.

8. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

More commiseration, I just kind of "found out" along the way in writing a serial of mine that the mate of one of the characters is going to have to die in childbirth (and the child too). This depressed me no end! This couple loves each other so much, and have been hoping for a child, etc. etc., and then my mind goes and says, "Sorry, she's going to have to go." I kept trying to visualize her staying alive but I know it can't happen. So it's quite sad and depressing. But some things just have to happen.

Maybe you need a "mourning period" to get used to this idea? It sounds silly but it's kind of true. My idea still bothers me but not as harshly as before.

In my other stories I'm rather glad they're fantasy because the people I kill off who I like, they can always return as ghosts or spirits or some such. :D

9. Jade

Jade Active Member

I'm trying to kill of one of my characters. I write the line, then erase it, then rewrite it with a few words changed, then delete it again, and so on. :p

Off topic: And in the Twilight series, she so should have picked Jacob. Edward's too perfect, if that makes sense. His character just isn't as believable and real.

10. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

you can always kill them then reincarnate them as a squirrel.

11. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

lmao, I prefer them to reincarnate into an insect, and then get squished by the person they love by accident o_O

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

One book I've been reading refers to this problem as "the inner censor", who steps in and blocks you from making things rough on your character. You don't get rougher than death (usually)!

Your character exists only for the story, and his or her obstacles are what makes the story live. If the story dies, the character is left to the ignoble end of standing in line at the Unemployment Office, with no hope of reentering the work force.

So tell that inner censor to go away, and let your character die with honor! Better a fast death with his eyes open than the slow humiliation of having no purpose in life.

13. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

.....then reincarnate them as a squirrel.

14. BlueR

BlueR New Member

Wouldn't hurt to make a sequel or a non-canon version of the story where she chooses the other guy. Kind of like the "What If?" series of Marvel Comics.

15. Trollhammaren

Trollhammaren New Member

Ah yes, the Sirius Black moment...

About a day ago I found out a good guy was going to go to 't3h ev1l side' and thus would kill off some people. Who I abseloutely adore. He is one of my favourite characters... but that just pissed me off. Ah well, the story continues.

16. ophelia

ophelia New Member

Haha, kill them both off, and make her fall in love with Zac Efron :)

As said above, whatever you do, the story continues. I think either way it's fine.

17. Moira

Moira New Member

Ya'll are so helpful. :D Thanks for all of the supprt. Maybe I will bring him back as something else. This is a book after all and I am the creator of it. *Sneaky smile*

-Moira