1. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Thousands dogs in the cities as pet, good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mans, Mar 4, 2019.

Today, I was googling and saw this news by the way:

After reading the summary news this question came up in my mind, whether holding thousands dogs in the cities, specially the big ones that can injure or even kill other citizens is an admissible choice, in compare with social rules?

Isn't it opposite to safety of citizens holding such the lion like dogs in the cities?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mans

Today, I was googling and saw this news by the way:

After reading the summary news this question came up in my mind, whether holding thousands dogs in the cities, specially the big ones that can injure or even kill other citizens is an admissible choice, in compare with social rules?

Isn't it opposite to safety of citizens holding such the lion like dogs in the cities?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

matwoolf likes this.
  3. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Uh, dogs are domestic, not exactly the same as having a lion or even a wolf. Bad dogs are 99% of the times the owners fault.

4. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

But dogs are man's best friend. And the vast majority of dogs aren't vicious. But I'll let the facts speak for themselves. Do you know how many toaster related deaths there are in the US alone? Nearly 300. Toasters are 25 times more lethal than dogs. Therefore...

Alan Aspie and matwoolf like this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Terrifying creatures.

[​IMG]

6. Mans

I agree that a dog is the friend of its owner; but what about other citizens who are not familiar with the dog ; passers and newcomers?

I'm not opposite to having a pet, also dog can be a good guard or assistant for a shepherd, farmer, woodman or similar persons who live out of the cities in the nature but holding thousands or even millions dogs in the cities are the cause of the events which were mentioned in the news.

The behaviors of a dog is not predictable. Sometimes it is provoked by a small thing or considers a passerby or even children as an enemy and attack to.

A dog (even the small ones) has strong jaws and also is very agile. Its movement realization and reaction is higher than a human and getting rid its fangs is not possible easily.

You even can't ward off a strong and nervous dog such as bulldog or doberman with a stick or similar things, because these type of dogs are very fighter and persistent. Such the dogs are considered as capable predators in the nature, hyena or wolves.

‍I found this picture and asked; if an unfamiliar citizen could cross this place carefree and without fear?

[​IMG]

Yes, they are obedient and submissive against their owner, but what about others?

This is what makes me thoughtful about holding thousands dogs in America and Europe regarding to the news.

matwoolf likes this.
  7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

The way I see it the @Mans talk a lot of sense. We need to organise.
    [​IMG] upload_2019-3-6_13-23-15.jpeg upload_2019-3-6_13-23-15.jpeg

Attached Files:

Bone2pick, Some Guy, Malisky and 2 others like this.
  8. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Yeah...

We should have watch pigs instead of dogs. We could breed wild boards to more aggressive and agile direction.

They have good jaws and snouts.

9. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

10. Mans

I think there is no problem owning a cat as a pet, because this choice remove danger of dog attacks for people, at least. Urban cats are cute and sweet and can make their owners and others happy and laugh.

When I was a teenager I had a few cats (in the different years). I had a kitten that loved it very much and even did kiss it mouth! I also had a black furry cat that one of its eyes was blind. It was a stray cat that became familiar with me gradually. When I and family were around the table ( usually we use a tablecloth on the floor) the cat came close to me and touched my leg with its hand and insinuated me to give it a morsel LOL

I also had a white roster. It was a small chick earlier but grew in our home and became a mature roster. As for it was not married it changed into a fighter and violent roster that attacked me and others. I sometime provoked it deliberately to start an attack and then escaped from it, this made me laugh! It went out from our house a few times and attacked some kids in the alley. The neighbors knocked our door unsatisfied and complained. They told us not to allow it to go out from the house to attack their kids LOL So I had to bind it to a tree in the yard sometimes. Sadly it became sick after a while and died. At the time (I was a teenager) I tried to treat it with some adult cold pills! but it was in vain. I cried and buried it in the yard under the tree.

Here, it is not a custom we hold a dog due to our religious recommendation (not obligation), its attacking nature, barking and troubles for neighbors. Of course a very little number of citizens who tend to western customs hold (usually) small dog breeds.

A few mounts ago a person who had two big foreign dogs, took them to a park without dog collar. The dogs attack to people and wound somebodies. Thereafter, police organization prohibited taking dogs out of the houses. Some Iranian oppositions who live in America or England broadcasted this propaganda from their own satellite networks, Iran government has imprisoned dogs in the houses LOL and we should create a campaign in the west versus the government!

These child-like (or malicious) Iranian oppositions pay no attention to the event, the danger of dog attacks and safety of Iranian citizens. They pay no attention (or know but conceal their real intentions) that this law is for safety of people not for limiting freedom.

However, I loved safe pets previously and still love. When I'm passing a place and see a cat on a wall, I stop and begin talking with it joking! It looks at me curiously and listens to my words carefully and this makes me laugh!

The Iranian cats are the most famous and nice cats in the world

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Bill Chester and matwoolf like this.
  11. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I would probably try to play with them.

12. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Persian cats are pretty great, I've got to say.
    Yeah, they look friendly. And besides, there are leash laws here. That would be an extremely unlikely situation anyway. What is that breed, by the way?

Mans likes this.
  13. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

I guess they're neapolitan mastiffs. I want one now.

14. Mans

I don't think these grisly huge mastiffs make anyone this opportunity to play with, rather than their owners LOL

Usually such the type giant dogs (in addition to their violent nature) are trained to ignore strangers as a friend.

15. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

The size of the dog has nothing to do with aggression, and how large dogs are trained is entirely dependent on their owners. I know several incredibly friendly large dogs, and the most visibly aggressive dogs are the smaller breeds, like yorkies. Pitbulls probably have the worst reputation as dangerous dogs, and they are medium sized.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  16. The Dapper Hooligan

The polite thing to do would be to talk to the owner first, then they'd be able to tell you whether or not they're good with strangers, but where I am it's rare to come across dogs that dislike everyone but their owner.

17. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, my friend has a dog who doesn't do well with strangers. "Reactive" I guess, but I always check with owners. Lady in my building owned a couple of wiener dogs, and one of those little bastards ran up and bit me on the back of the leg with no provocation or warning, but there's an Australian Shepherd that lives locally that tries to lick every person he sees to death. Wonderful little idiot, just goes out of his mind with love whenever he sees a human being.

18. Reece

Reece Senior Member

Isn't it opposite to safety of citizens holding such citizens in the cities?

19. Mans

Basically some dog breeds such as Mastiff, bulldog, German, and doberman are considered as guard dogs. These type of dogs don't stop their attacks after taking down someone in the floor and if their owner doesn't interfere, there will be a probability that they injure seriously or even kill their victims.

Yes. Aggressiveness is seen even in the small breeds as well. These are more agile and fast than the mentioned big dogs, mastiff and bulldogs but less injure. Usually such the dogs can be warden off by human easier and after the first biting and taking the person down on the ground leave him but are dangerous for children relatively.

When I was about 12 years old I was passing from a public garage with my bike. Suddenly, a big grey dog that was belonging to the garage owner attacked me unaware. When it jumped up and took my shank between its teeth, I threw my leg up and could release it from the dog's jaws agilely, but fell on the ground. When I fell on the floor, it left me and went back into the garage. I looked at my leg, I saw it was scratched and the wound turned into dark violet. If I hadn't an immediate reaction, surely it fangs would tear my leg off.

Some passers would help me to get up and recommended me to tell the event to my parents to take me to a clinic for an emergency preventative injection against rabies and tetanus, but I avoided to inform the recommendation to my parents and after a while the burning and pain of the wound got better.

However, I think, despite dogs seems to be lovely and nice pets, but it is true just for their owners and make the cities insecure for other citizens.

Cats haven't a familiarity and fondness like dogs but are intelligent and lovely as well. At least, they haven't danger of attack for others.

Another Iranian cute cat

[​IMG]

20. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

upload_2019-3-8_12-18-59.jpeg

21. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

i think it depends on how they are raised.
    my dog looks like she is mixed with a pitbull. we got her from Animal Control when she was 6 months. she is SUPER loving and friendly and non-confrontational.
    despite this, she is also protective. when we are out of the apartment, she wants to greet everyone. her tail will wag, she will run up to people (i have to hold her back because she looks intimidating). she'll lay on her back and want people to pet her, and she will cry if people walk past and ignore her.

there was a poodle puppy in the dog park that was afraid of her and hid under the bench his owner was sittng on. so my dog runs and finds a pine cone and squeezes herself under the bench beside him and put the pinecone down between them like a peace offering. after a while, the poodle came out and they played with the pinecone.
    she tried to do this with another dog, bringing her a stick, and the other dog attacked her and rather than fight back, my dog tucked her tail between her legs, flattened her ears and tried to run away, but the other dog jumped on her (other dog's owner pulled her off, leashed her and apologized over and over again). we approached a corgi, and the corgi snarled and growled at us and my dog stopped in front of me (putting herself between me and the corgi), then yanked me in the opposite direction not even wanting to put up with the mean little dog.

yet, when she's in our apartment, any time someone passes too close to our door, she will run to the door and bark.

Then you have dogs raised with little people interaction or socialization, with mean owners, or bratty kids who dont know how to treat animals, or owners who want weapons instead of pets, and naturally they will become hostile. I met another dog owner in my complex at the dog park who saw us coming and leashed his dog. his response was "he doesnt like other dogs and people" and i'm thinking "was he not socialized?"

22. Mans

Well, you have just one dog, Mary has another, Nancy another, Suzi another, ... The sum of these pets goes to thousands and even millions.

Each one has a particular dog breed with different nature, behavior and training. Which warranty is for controlling this great population of different dogs in the cities regarding to the news?

As I told before, I'm not opposite to pets and having one or more. I think to the problems of thousands household dogs in addition to the stray ones in the cities or countryside.

Imagine, you want to walk in a privacy street, at night. You should whether be strong enough with a baseball stick or shotgun or be a person like Jacky Jone who can go up from the walls easily to get rid a group of provoked dogs!

The problem is not that you or x or y have a dog. The problem is thousands dogs in the cities that controlling them is not possible anyway. They attack people on and off and injure them. They even kill the numbers of their victims, as pointed in the news.

I think some of the owners even don't care what their dogs do with others; they just love their dogs, and just this!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  23. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

You're from Iran, right? I would assume that the incidence of dangerous stray dog packs in Iran is very much higher than in the U.S., and yet you are using your anecdotal experience of Iran to justify an argument for banning dogs in the U.S., where the problems you have mentioned don't really exist. We have dog catchers here, and animal control offices. People rarely let their dogs wander around, and if they do get out or something, chances are they're fairly friendly, and someone will call the owner. We have strays, but more often they're something you'd be more likely to throw some scraps to, than have to beat off with a baseball bat.

matwoolf likes this.
  24. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

not to mention that the rabies incidence in Iran is much higher than it is in the US (and its been completely eradicated in the UK)

Its not likely that anyone in the west is going to be reenacting Cujo any time soon

25. The Dapper Hooligan

The bastard child of Eric Bana and Colin Farrel?

From what I can tell, in most of North America, if a dog did that the animal would be euthanized and the owner could possibly face jail time depending on whether they were found negligent in the death or whatnot, so there's a pretty strong incentive for most owners to make sure their animal is trained to not attack.